Stay for free - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
A lot of people don't know this but you can camp for free in Ontario as long as you are a citizen of Ontario . Where you ask ? On crown land . Decide where you want to go ,look for crown land in that area then let the town or city counsel know that you will be staying and for how long . It's not a joke . I found this out by someone who posted an ad , stating he could give you all the information you needed , providing you buy his book for $14.95 . He made a little slip of the words that's how i found out . Pass this along , we all need a break from having to pay for everthing .
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Crown...L02_170045.html

Apparently it is any resident of Canada.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
Quote:
A lot of people don't know this but you can camp for free in Ontario as long as you are a citizen of Ontario . Where you ask ? On crown land . Decide where you want to go ,look for crown land in that area then let the town or city counsel know that you will be staying and for how long . It's not a joke . I found this out by someone who posted an ad , stating he could give you all the information you needed , providing you buy his book for $14.95 . He made a little slip of the words that's how i found out . Pass this along , we all need a break from having to pay for everthing .

I think you can also camp for free in Michigan in certain areas. My wife and I camped in various places for 3 weeks for free, in the most amazingly beautiful secluded spots. Just stop in to a DNR field office and ask about it. They'll give you directions, maps, and a form you'll fill out so they know where you are.
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Same in the US, but there is no citizen requirements. We have an agency called BLM (Bureau of Land Management) and there are 100s of 1000s of acres set aside where anyone can plop for free.

Some lands have water and dump, so there is a minimal charge to cover those costs.

An example is the BLM land surrounding Quartzsite, Az. You can live for over mos and use the water/dump services for 180 bucks. (FYI, Canadians are a large part of that population in the winter!)

Other areas restrict the time you stay, 2 weeks usually, but there is no charge.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #5

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Same deal with US National Forrest land. I have done it lots of times. They all sell good maps that will show fire roads, logging trails, etc. and any restricted areas. Generally no charge or camping permit unless it is in an established camp ground with amenities. Don't drive off existing roads, or build outside camp fires. It is great if you like solitude. Remember that many areas have bears, mountain lions or wolves, so you are on the menu. Also be aware that a rain or snow storm may make it difficult to get back to the main road for a while.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

Boondocking/Dispersed Camping NM-AZ http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...97.cfm#23600597
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
Quote:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Crown...L02_170045.html

Apparently it is any resident of Canada.
I spoke to a person who works at the town councel of a nearby town and she was the one that told me only residents of ontario were allowed for free . Thanks for the attached link , this now proves she and i are wrong . All residents of Canada are free to camp . Thank you for this clarification .
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Thanx for the link, Hawk. We are here in AZ and after the Quartzsite gathering will head to Hill-A-Pallooza in TX. We did our first BLM stay outside of Yuma (Calif side). I think it was Pilot Knob BLM area. WORKED GREAT, and will absolutely look at your guide and note the locations on the Rand McNally.

Quote:
Boondocking/Dispersed Camping NM-AZ http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...97.cfm#23600597
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote