Stick Built Conversion to Molded - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #41

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I doubt that I will ever own another trailer, but if I do it will most likely be a stick built toy hauler, fifth wheel.

However, another interesting thing is happening with boats, and maybe in the RV industry. I just found out that a number of bass boats mfg's now use carbon fiber. 25% less weight and stiffer, but negatives include UV degradation, hence it must be painted, and it conducts electricity.
https://www.sportfishingmag.com/carb...ts-technology/
Old 12-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #42

Name: Russ
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo12345 View Post
ok - not really but let me explain

I have a keystone outback stick built. Original owner and I understand that all campers leak.

I also own a swimming pool. 25 years ago the interior suface was converted to fiberglass. 10 years ago I had the company apply a second layer of fiberglass.

So.....

Lets say you had a stick built rv. Could you:

1. remove all moldings from edges.
2. Wrap the entire rig in fiberglass, roof to bottom

you would eliminate almost all seams

Wonder why not even 1 stick rv manufacturer has done this. Of course it is not as good as a moulded fiberglass, but it seems close?

Dave
Good idea. Fiberglass over wood can be amazingly durable. I've built a couple projects that way, including a truck cap that took a lot of abuse with rooftop loads, and a 40 foot houseboat that is still afloat 35 years later. It may not be as pretty as molded, but would be functional and secure.
Rustofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #43

Name: J.C.
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Corplast, the plastic “cardboard” used to make political signs out of will adhere with fiberglass and can be glued with hot glue gun. It is waterproof and strong but can be flexed in one direction. I glued a test piece 10 years ago and it is still tight. Just an idea for panel replacement.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #44

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: '05 Scamp 16' (sold), '20 Escape 19'
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I got to see the 3D printed trailer at the Boler 50th Event in 2018. The body was just sitting on a flatbed trailer, so far from complete. But it was interesting. I'd like to see this produced for the masses
Ha! I was going to post my pic of that but you beat me to it.

I built a plywood rowboat years ago and after I completed it I fiberglassed all the exterior seams. That seemed to work pretty well, at least until I sold it when I had to move overseas.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #45

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
There is a saying, "you can't polish a turd". I saw a show where they tried to prove that wrong. I think the show was Myth Busters or something like that. They did eventually get a bit of gloss from a round horse turd, It was not shiny. A few hours later it was dull again.

Point being that things are manufactured a certain way. A stick built is basically stapled together. Every joint and connection has some degree of movement. Over time they weaken enough to leak or worse. Covering it with a thin cost of fiberglass might end up shinny but not for long. and the added weight of the FG may speed up that joint fatigue. The movement of those joints will result in the fiberglass cracking and possibly falling off. A trailer that has some value now, would be worthless fairly quick.

We can get a bigger sticky for the dollar than a molded trailer. As time passes the molded ones hold their value, while the stickies become very cheap.

So if we want to live at the campground with all the ammunities of home, we need a larger camper and tug. Be prepared to pay up front or pay more later on.
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote