Storing security - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I wanted to ask a question about security when you store your trailer. Obviously, storing a trailer in a fenced in lot with on-site security is the safest way. What about parking your trailer in a place that isn't fenced in, even in your driveway or if you park it in a campground and leave it for a few hours. How do you prevent someone from possibly trying to steal the trailer? I know that you can lock the trailer's hitch and put a dummy ball in the socket but the wheels still turn and is it possible for someone to cut the lock and drive off with the trailer? What precautions can I take when I'm not around the trailer to discourage theft? Furthermore, it would seem to me the best locking system would lock the wheels and prevent them from turning sort of like a "Club" that people use on their steering wheels. Any suggestions?
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Our egg lives in the driveway from April to November. It is backed up against one garage door, and our Subaru is parked directly in front of it. I keep a lock on the hitch, too. The driveway is illuminated by a motion detector light. Sure, if someone was really determined to break in, or steal it, they could - but the odds are in my favor. Most thieves are opportunists, and usually go for the easy picks. Always try to make your property just a little more secure than your neighbors'.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
it would seem to me the best locking system would lock the wheels and prevent them from turning sort of like a "Club" that people use on their steering wheels.
There are many to chose from. Do a Google on "Trailer Wheel Lock". You will come up with hundreds of sites that sell them in all shapes and sizes.

I have the traditional hitch locks, AND a Denver Boot. My trailer lives in my driveway un guarded most of the time. 2 attempts have been made, but none successful.

If someone wants it bad enough, they will get it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
There are countless trailer wheel locks. Here's one that I have but very rarely use.
http://www.trailerlock.com

I just use the a hitch lock and a ball cover.

In the end, any thief with a cordless cutter could deal with almost any scheme in less than a minute. I think Jack is correct in that all you can do is make it inconvenient. It's just something that's not one of my worry beads.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I suppose one of the safest methods of securing a trailer, also would make it the most inconvenient for the owner. Remove the spare off the back and take both tires and wheels off...store them in a locked garage. Use a jack to lower the trailer to the point, the trailer would need to be jacked back up to put the tires back on. Now how many of us are actually going to do it

But like Jack says
Quote:
Most thieves are opportunists, and usually go for the easy picks. Always try to make your property just a little more secure than your neighbors.
And carry good insurance!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote