Story for the day - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Some of you may know that I've been trying to trace the history of the Boler and it's descendants in the USA. One of the paths I followed led to one of my letters looking for information being published in mid October, in the Tripoli Leader a small town Iowa biweekly newspaper.

Having not heard anything via email or telephone to date, I was ready to say that effort was a dead end. Today a small package arrived in the mail. In it was a hand written 3 page letter, an original plastic emblem from a Love Bug, and an old pay stub.

Each on their own provide a little information, in combination they substantiate some information with facts. I didn't get as much info as I was hoping for but it sure beat yet another dead end I in my quest for the past. The individual did provide a contact #, so there is a glimmer of light at the end of this path.

The package made my day. I've got a mental picture of the author that I'll have to confirm upon further contact. Gives me something to look forward to. When I get enough information worthwhile to post, I'll do so in the boler history thread.

And for those of you that have been providing me with information, I thank you. I am collecting all the little tidbits and trying to put them together into an accurate history.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Roy that is so cool. You got a Christmas present EARLY When you finally get the history complete, or as complete as you think it will get, we can upload a PDF into the Document Center... if you'd like That way it would always be visible to the membership, rather than needing to find it through search.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Congrats, Roy. I haven't found the stuff I had on the Love Bug yet, but as soon as I do, you'll have it as well.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
When you finally get the history complete, or as complete as you think it will get, we can upload a PDF into the Document Center...
That's an interesting concept Donna. I don't think it will ever be complete. The info seems to come in waves. Some of it want to break out to the surface, some of it apparently wants to be kept buried in the depths of the past and remain forgotten.

I'd think that if we could upload what we know of the history at some point of time, then be able to get continue researching, we could swap it with udated versions.

Sometimes we've had the information sitting in front of us but have not seen how it fits it. For example, Roger mentioned a tidbit a couple of years ago that seemed like harmonious small talk until I finally made the connection. Yes, what he was saying was important, now we will wait for him to locate his information to accurately tie it in what others have provided. Sometimes these little tidbits open a door to a new direction to follow, sometimes they link the pieces.

It has become a rather interesting endeavour. Almost like doing a biography and genealogical search all in one.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Way to go Roy
I love the tenacity which you have shown in your struggle for the HOLY GRAIL of the Boler world. Keep the faith and may your search be fruitful and may it end up being useful to us all.
I know it sure makes interresting reading.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #6

Thank you James,

The letter I received made for some interesting reading. The author included a few things that I myself would consider too personal to divulge to a complete stranger. Let me contact them first to ask their permission to post some of it here.

Most of what we read is about the meat and potatoes, the people that ran the companies; getting the point of view from one of the workers, adds a little seasoning.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ooh, this is interesting! I am also fascinated by Boler history, as the first plant was in Winnipeg, near my hometown, and I have heard stories from friends of former employees there.

Now I live in Pattison country (BC) who bought Boler from Roy O, only to cease production to sell his own stick builts instead.

Intrigue!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #8

Quote:
I have heard stories from friends of former employees there.
How about sharing some of those stories?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #9

The American Thanksgiving crossed the border today, to me it usually siginifies the beginning of the Christmas Season. This year that really held true. I received my first present.

A large manilla envelope arrived unexpectedly in this mornings mail. In it was a single page hand written letter and photocopies of two newspaper articles reporting on the fire that destroyed the Tri-Fab factory in Tripoli, IA on July 31, 1973

There are some interesting pieces of information that provide more history on the boler, the boler American and the Love Bug. That information should provide some interesting timelines to the thread on the boler and it's descendants.

Happy Thanksgiving to my friends to the south of our mutual border!

Roy
Old 11-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
One of the members was compiling as much information about bolers as he can find, I can't remember who it was so I will post it here. A boler 1700 was destroyed in a roll over by Kitscoty Ab. about 2 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
boler_history_001.JPG  
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote