Strange things I see while traveling. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #21

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I grew up with the old "plugged into the wall jack" rotary dial phones. Back then a "portable" phone was one that had a long enough cord so you could take the phone into the next room. And if you were dialing a local number with the same prefix, you only had to dial the last four numbers. Now you need to dial 10 numbers just to call your next door neighbor. So much for progress...
We didn't even have to dial. Just pick up the phone and the operator would ask "number please" and most numbers were only 3 digits. If you wanted to call the next town, we had to ask for "long distance". Talk about progress, in our area code, we are going to have to include the area code when dialing local numbers now. Am going to have to edit all those numbers I put into the phone's phone book! Yep - "progress" going backwards!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:09 PM   #22

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper881 View Post
Story 2. My wife taught kindergarten for 35 years. In the last few she took an old dial phone to school and asked her students to show how to make a call. None of them know what to do. She did the same thing with an old record player, and the children were amazed by it.
I must admit that I have no idea how to run a cotton gin, crank-start a car, saddle a horse or how to make lutefisk.

That does not embarrass me in any way.

Kids today are a wonder of knowledge and compassion. They are creatures of the future and I love them all.

:-)
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:29 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
We didn't even have to dial. Just pick up the phone and the operator would ask "number please"...
And now days? Now I just pick up my phone and say, "Hey Google... call Bobby."

100 years of progress to get back to where we started
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:14 AM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I must admit that I have no idea how to run a cotton gin, crank-start a car, saddle a horse or how to make lutefisk.

That does not embarrass me in any way.

Kids today are a wonder of knowledge and compassion. They are creatures of the future and I love them all.

:-)
You sir, are a sophisticate.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #25

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Dang I'm at almost 30 years of having a cellphone 🤪
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Like you, I’m not embarrassed by what I can’t do but there is a satisfaction in being able to do something that is probably not going to be needed any more. Having a proficiency in my tool box gives me hope that someone may sometime need that skill or that I might encounter a person with that skill and we can have a “comparative dialogue” and that I really enjoy.
Not conversely but in comparison I admire folks with “pioneer skills” that I don’t have but “always wished I knew how”. And I’m a pretty good student when I get the opportunity to learn or discuss “the old ways”.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
We had a bell attached to our phone line in the cellar so you could hear the phone ring. Couldn't have another phone down there because that would have cost extra.

My grandmother still had one of the old 1950's Bakelite phones (black, the only color available). Made me realize that it WAS possible to knock a person out with a phone like in the old movies (that thing weighed a ton)! Can't do that with the phones today, not enough mass.
Speaking of getting knocked out, I was told a story about someone working on the phone line. He mistakenly put the wires in his mouth while working on them. Just then, someone called that number and a hundred volts went through those lines and knocked him out.

When I was a kid, my friend's dad had an electrician's shop. For security, each night, he would connect the door to the phone. He would dial his home number on a rotary phone, including the last number, but would not let go of the dial on that last number. Then he had a string rigged up with a hook that held the dial and ran that to the door. If anyone opened the door, it released the dial and that last number was completed. His home phone would ring but nobody would be on the line if answered. And he would know someone was in his shop. I thought it was brilliant. But it tied up a line all night, every night.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #28

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Casita Greg- We moved when I was in Jr High to a new house that featured a hall phone with a 35 ft cord! I could sit on the front steps or on the patio steps while talking. And my brother could walk by the hall phone and hang up on me while I was talking.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:05 PM   #29

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I remember the advice I heard as a kid: do not ever hold that crank the natural way; place your thumb along the fingers, so the engine kick-back does not brake your thumb!

No clue about the other three, but I got a taste of lutefisk once.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:47 AM   #30

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Like you, I’m not embarrassed by what I can’t do but there is a satisfaction in being able to do something that is probably not going to be needed any more. Having a proficiency in my tool box gives me hope that someone may sometime need that skill or that I might encounter a person with that skill and we can have a “comparative dialogue” and that I really enjoy.
Not conversely but in comparison I admire folks with “pioneer skills” that I don’t have but “always wished I knew how”. And I’m a pretty good student when I get the opportunity to learn or discuss “the old ways”.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... "Everybody wants progress... nobody wants change"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote