Stuff you bought and wish you hadn't - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #21

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Anderson leveler....works great but requires two people to do the task, one driving and one checking the level who then signals the driver to stop moving.

Ball leveler, heavy but good for someone traveling alone
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #22

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Anderson leveler....works great but requires two people to do the task, one driving and one checking the level who then signals the driver to stop moving.
I use it all the time - solo. Usually get it on the 2nd or 3rd try dead level.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We just hung a thermometer in our garage...the fourth so far that I've bought to try to get the right one for Peanut...two didn't work at all and two didn't work for me. My friend asked why I needed one in there--she said "You'd notice if you were too hot or cold, right, what difference do the numbers make?" And she does have a point. I returned three of them and this time just gave it to Paul and I think I might give up.
Don't give up if you have a heater swap out the thermostat for a digital one and you will have your thermometer. See dual purpose. If you don't have a heater get one so you can use a digital thermostat so you can have a thermometer. See still dual purpose.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Over the past few years, I have often thought: "wish I hadn't bought this damn trailer"

Only because work/life got in the way and slowed my down. But, still crosses my mind.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #25

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Maybe your trailer should be named "The Wishing Well"
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Maybe your trailer should be named "The Wishing Well"
True enough, or "Fantasy Trailer"

OTOH, I have gotten it nearly into shape and will be on the road soon.
I am in the midst of installing all the led lights, inverters, solar controllers, etc.

I am even thinking of putting in a 12vdc fridge next year and maybe a bath/shower thing of some sort.

It has mainly been frustrating because I am so damn slow.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 AM   #27

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Most the stuff we get we use but sometimes I see a deal I can not refuse....
I think the New $400 Port-a-potty with the removable waste tank, the type that manufactures are putting in campers now, with a hatch door to get out tank, I got for $75....How could I not buy it.....Been down the basement covered with a towel for 2 years....Never used....
Hmmmm $75 hmmm could have stayed another 7 nights camping in the National Forest...right near the bathroom.
Who want to buy it???
:I cannot believe someone would pay $400 for Port-a-Potti when you can get them for $100 or less dollars in Canada and the USA, most US Walmarts sell a 5 gallon bottom for around $75US. Easy to remove take to dump station or someones toilet then take to hose station and rinse it then re-dump or just dump, close back up, put chemicals back in then rinse next time.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:06 AM   #28

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:I cannot believe someone would pay $400 for Port-a-Potti when you can get them for $100 or less dollars in Canada and the USA, most US Walmarts sell a 5 gallon bottom for around $75US. Easy to remove take to dump station or someones toilet then take to hose station and rinse it then re-dump or just dump, close back up, put chemicals back in then rinse next time.
Stude
We now try to get as close to the toilets as possible but have a plastic coffee jug for night emergencies.
I didn't buy it to use, I did buy it because it was a good deal.....thinking I will sell it and make a few $$$

So Bobbie here is your chance to get a cassette toilet. PM me if interested.

I remember my 1st wife coming home with some thing we didn't
need and when asked Why...she would say I saved $5.... and I would say you spent $20 not saved a thing.

Now I'm guilty
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 AM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I remember my 1st wife coming home with some thing we didn't need and when asked Why...she would say I saved $5.... and I would say you spent $20 not saved a thing.
Oh the stories of Ex's.......both ways
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #30

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Smile

I have a box of stuff I needed for the Scamp. After a few years I solved my problems treasures gone wrong, got a bigger box. Will soon be looking for a Goodwill drop off center - others need to learn to enjoy these treasures before they too make a Goodwill drive by.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here's one. Bought this Coleman oven many years ago and it resides under a bench that requires some effort to get to.
I've used it once to reheat pulled pork. It weighs seven pounds, about the same as a case of beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Coleman oven.png  
Old 07-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #32

Missouri
Registry
After a few beers, you won't care if the pulled pork is warm or not.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #33

California
Your oven will last forever especially if you don't use it. But a but a case of beer doesn't last very long. A case of beer at 7 lbs must be light beer.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #34

Missouri
Registry
A good point about weight considerations when bringing refreshments.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #35

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
To discover what you really don't need, buy a new trailer. Cleaning everything out of the old trailer, you will be amazed how mucg the little trailers have in them, and what you dont use.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:08 AM   #36

Name: john
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
The tool box I carry contains enough tools to repair an aircraft carrier. I am affraid to weigh the thing.

And then there is the question my wife loves to ask is do you have the skill set to do all these repairs? I wave my 8 pound torque wrench in the air and reply with a smile, of course, why else would I have all these tools.

In our Casita one would never ask about all those decorative items taking up space, that is if they want a prepared meal for the rest of the trip.

I might review the tool box again and toss one of those extra screw drivers out.Then I'll feel better.
My Daddy always said he carried tools, because maybe someone would come along who knew how to use them.
ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #37

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
To discover what you really don't need, buy a new trailer. Cleaning everything out of the old trailer, you will be amazed how mucg the little trailers have in them, and what you dont use. __________________
Alice

You are so right! Even if you just pretend you got a new rig and empty every single space (meanwhile you can dust vacuum, wipe, wash, etc.)--and then seriously sift & sort before putting things back--

Good idea. It'd be good to do it just before camping season each spring.
Chance to lighten the load and simplify the procedures...not to mention a good chance to make sure you don't have mice, hornets, mold, or just piles of dust.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #38

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Back in the day when I traveled by air to projects, I took a lot of "convenience" items. After a while, if I didn't use an item for two trips, it didn't go with me on the next one. That was when airlines were not near as restrict as today.

So, the same technique could/should be used for the trailer. We downsized from a 35' class A to the Campster. You can imagine how much we have shed in the last few months but we (spelled I) have also acquired a few Campster specific items.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #39

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hey, Dave, How's your summer?

A two-trip limit for freeloading goods. I like it.

Luckily for us, a. the get-away van was smaller than Peanut, b. we gave it to our son with "all" of our camping gear inside and he sold it later with "all" still in it, c. we were so strapped paying to fix Peanut that we had little money for buying fribbles, and d. I'm so concerned not to exceed the dodge caravan's tow weight limit (I want a thousand-pound leeway!) that I've been cautious...up until lately, when I find we're using the back "pontoons" for more stuff, though it's mostly empty water bottles and small electrical items like a heating pad...

This thread is good, reminding me to KISS--keep it simple, sweetheart, when it comes to putting merchandise in the trailer.

One of the things we've (I have) made a rule of is "No Duplicates!" If I have a comb in my purse, I don't need another one in the toiletries wall pocket in the Putin. If we have a fire starter and matches, we don't need a 2nd fire starter in the tool box in the car. If we have a mixing bowl with graduated marks for measuring, we don't need a set of measuring cups as well. If we have bedding blankets, we don't need to haul lap blankets, too. The only throw pillows now are the ones we use for sitting or sleeping--the first night out (ever), we tossed something like seven throw pillows into the car because they were all over the floor--we didn't need them to read or sleep. They never came back in.

I relented on one thing, though. We already had a pug, but we take the 2nd one with us as well. A "hair" and a "spare," you might say. You never know when you'll need two.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #40

California
2 pugs put together make one regular size dog so your ok unless it means 2 water bowls and 2 feeding dishes and 2 beds for them too. Of course no matter what you do you will have at least one pug under the feet.