Successfully staying on the road - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
We have taken a few extended trips with our 16SD Dx Scamp. Newfoundland, Alaska, Florida and East Coast... but with many obligations, and some health problems, it is tough to stay away more than a month or two at a time.
The post office will only hold our mail for 30 days.
I suppose, if there was a way to cut one's self off from everything else, it would be possible to be full timers.
The best thing about traveling tho, is that it is always good to be home again.
Wayne,

Though we've spend considerable time on the road, averaging 7.5 months per year, we usually are not gone for longer than 5-6 months at a time.

We get home in April, hug up with family and friends, and head off again for a couple of months returning to spend the bulk of the summer home. In our 14 years of travel we have only gone for 12 months twice.

We had four sets of people visiting us this year in FL and we get to see more distant friends and relatives frequently in our travels with lots of new friends added to our lives.

Ginny talks about now having many homes. When we visit a place like Port Orford, OR we fill home because we have been there so many times it feels very familiar.

Mostly being on the road is different from our past, good different. We have become more open and friendly as a result of our travels, recognizing the people we meet our like us, new and in a measure alone, until we smile and say hello and offer them a cup of ...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #22

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Now that there is a the sign of a special lady!
Wayne,

I must tell you I'd love to meet you. One of these days I'm coming to Ontario. How far are you from Buffalo?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ginny and I are casual drinkers.
We are too, though do imbibe more than you. It is very rare for us to have a drink unless socializing, UNLESS we are camping. Even then, if alone, it is not that much. I would imagine this will change though, if we were to be retired and spending more time in our trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #24

Florida
Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We are too, though do imbibe more than you. It is very rare for us to have a drink unless socializing, UNLESS we are camping. Even then, if alone, it is not that much. I would imagine this will change though, if we were to be retired and spending more time in our trailer.

We always carry four bottles of wine in our trailer so any of you that come by can bring a wine glass to share a smile.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #25

Florida
Wander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Thanks for sharing your story, 'Staying etc'. I Post rarely on this list, as I've run into a few outspoken and rather unkind remarks. That said, most members are very kind and helpful. As a 71 year old woman who has put in 10k towing miles in 16 months on the road (a 16' scamp with a Subaru Forester), I'd ignore any strange remarks about living on the road and just enjoy the glorious adventures. We belong to the adventurous of the world and its fine to enjoy whatever life you choose. PS: you will find my first year's adventures in my 4th book on Amazon, entitled 'Wander' by Lynn Romaine.
I just bought your book, Wander. Most of the people on the site are nice. I admit to 'quitting' the site on occasion. Fortunately I decided, as in all of life, you need to ignore the few who are unkind.

Like you, understand that we can not expect those who haven't done 'it' to understand our journey, our rather different way of living. Enjoy your adventure and I'll read your book over the next week.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #26

Florida
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
I love your posts Norm. Thank you for sharing so much of your calm wisdom. It is on my bucket list to fulltime in a fiberglass camper, at least in part because of your posts. I "listen" to you as an elder to better myself today.
Darnelle,

I laughed when I read 'calm wisdom'. It's taken me a long time to become calm (while Ginny's always been calm). By the way I laughed a second time reading your post, this is the first time I've been called an 'elder', pretty cool.ie
Thank you. Of course being an elder is a relative state. We have nieces and nephews who stay with us at the beach in the summer. One night my niece could not fall asleep so I a 'eldered' her with calm wisdom.

I told her to lay down and to try to feel her toes, relaxing them, then her ankles and all the way up to her head and eyes, relaxing each part of her body and sleep would find her. She was 7 at the time, at the age of believing her loving uncle. She still remembers and has it as a tool, shared elder wisdom.

Personally I can talk myself into sleep in a crowded room by relaxing myself There is something to being able to relax.

We were at a party once and a lady had studied Feldenkrais and gave me a 'head float' (nothing sexual, but rather a process of getting you to release the tension in your neck muscles that work continuously to support your head) and within seconds I was sound asleep on the floor in a crowded room.

Wandering again

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Wayne,

I must tell you I'd love to meet you. One of these days I'm coming to Ontario. How far are you from Buffalo?
Sounds good Norm. Only 35min from the Peace Bridge.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #28

Florida
Courageous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Thanks for sharing your story, 'Staying etc'. I Post rarely on this list, as I've run into a few outspoken and rather unkind remarks. That said, most members are very kind and helpful. As a 71 year old woman who has put in 10k towing miles in 16 months on the road (a 16' scamp with a Subaru Forester), I'd ignore any strange remarks about living on the road and just enjoy the glorious adventures. We belong to the adventurous of the world and its fine to enjoy whatever life you choose. PS: you will find my first year's adventures in my 4th book on Amazon, entitled 'Wander' by Lynn Romaine.
I started the book and have only read a few pages but it says to me that beyond being able to write well, you are one brave lady. Not many people would be able to take such a large step at 70. I look forward to 'joining' your adventure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
We always carry four bottles of wine in our trailer so any of you that come by can bring a wine glass to share a smile.
You know that even given the opportunity, we would be glad too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #30

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
The other day I over heard my wife telling her friend she will be saving money to take me on a trip to Mexico for my birthday in a few years. I walked in saying, or we can take the trailer to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming to see devils tower. Or even the bad lands in Alberta. She says, what's there to see? Well Lets find out.
There's so much to see in our own back yards. I really don't want to fly any where. I want a road trip.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #31

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff T H View Post
The other day I over heard my wife telling her friend she will be saving money to take me on a trip to Mexico for my birthday in a few years. I walked in saying, or we can take the trailer to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming to see devils tower. Or even the bad lands in Alberta. She says, what's there to see? Well Lets find out.
There's so much to see in our own back yards. I really don't want to fly any where. I want a road trip.
Ginny is with you, She has no desire to go to Mexico, the USA and Canada have more wonders than we will see in the remainder of our life.

When we were near the border with Mexico, there was this nice little border town to visit. We were told that if we didn't see locals on the streets hawking their goods that we should leave because the locals knew when the gangs would be active. Who needs it?

I'm sure there are wonderful and safe places to visit in Mexico. However, it's no longer on our list.

As to flying, in the last 15 years we have only flown twice though previously we flew a lot. Now we travel at a slow trailer pace, the distance we covered in hours, we cover in weeks or months.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #32

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Great read Norm, my bride is a bit younger, but when she retires she wishes to,spend 30 days in Yosenitie! She has adorned our beloved 16 ft. Scamp with new curtains and now she has covered the cushions with new fabulous fabric. Our break out trip is May 27 to the Scamp gathering in Lonesboro, MN
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #33

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
It sounds like your life has been not only a great joy but a great adventure also and as Paul Harvey would say your 57 years on your way to forever together.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #34

Florida
Thank you Lee.
I am not a religious person but I do feel blessed, Ginny always tells me how fortunate we are. Part of it is Ginny. By 27 she had everything she wanted in life, a home, 2 children and someone who loved her.

Without knowing it, my life was easy, partially because of her attitude. Happy with what she had and not needing what she didn't have. I could and did say many crazy things, like I'm quitting my job, buying an RV and hitting the road and she says OK. This has been repeated a number of time in our lives leading to a fun adventure filled existence.

Happieness is in many ways a choice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am really enjoying this thread. It is SO positive. I am in another forum, general in nature, and they have a section for "Psychology" and there are young people in their whining about how selfish their parents were to have them, how they don't want to live past 30, how boring life is and I always have a comment or two for them. I always tell them first of all to get off the computer and go outside, take a walk and enjoy nature. I have known so many people who would have appreciated just a little more time on earth to enjoy the good things of which there are many. I know that I often annoy people with my "Pollyanna Glad Game" but, gee........... I think we would all just love to meet Norm and Ginny or maybe clone a few sets of them to spread some extra positive words of encouragement across the US and Canada!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #36

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Norm,
I'm glad you took the term "elder" well! For me, an elder is wise due to their life's experiences, not solely because of years lived -- although more years lived gives more experiences, and round it goes. I am not young, perhaps older than your own children, so I truly meant it as a compliment.

I also can see you are perhaps not as calm as Ginny, but, as you have said, she tempers you, and you indeed have calm wisdom.

I've also read your posts on mods and maximizing storage. Those are priorities for us (3 in a 13' Scamp, plus a big dog), so I hope to copy a few. We MUST get out with it much more than we do. You help me remember that life is about experiences, and life can be too short.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #37

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Life has so much for us to enjoy. Sometimes there are barriers to overcome (when we were raising our tribe there were few dollars left over to allow travel so we encouraged backyard adventures).

As 'elders' we love taking our grands camping with us (just posted some shots in the photography thread). Also as 'elders' we have had time to acquire a top quality tent, some small boats and a wonderful Trillium.

If anyone is thinking of exploring northern Saskatchewan please let me know - a real life meeting would be wonderful. Don't even think of writing off this province as 'miles of boring flat fields'!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #38

Missouri
Yes Captleemo, it's been a fun run. 33 years a pilot, now retired, both of us Advance Open Water Scuba Divers, me a Extra Class Ham Radio Operator, me a Flight Instructor. Life for us never stands still. Woke up today one day closer to spring! Hard to wait to get the Scamp out and see America!
Old 02-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #39

Missouri
And Norm and Ginny, we mirror your lifestyle in large part. No, we never had kids, but we are light hearted, rarely spontaneous, and willing to try new things constantly. We both just love scuba diving,,and have been to far reaches of the world. Now our Scamp takes us to much closer places that haved escaped us. Free Spirit II ismthe name of our beloved Scamp, as our long owned ski boat was Free Spirit. We woke up today, one day closer to spring!
Old 02-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #40

Florida
Negative Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I am really enjoying this thread. It is SO positive. I am in another forum, general in nature, and they have a section for "Psychology" and there are young people in their whining about how selfish their parents were to have them, how they don't want to live past 30, how boring life is and I always have a comment or two for them. I always tell them first of all to get off the computer and go outside, take a walk and enjoy nature. I have known so many people who would have appreciated just a little more time on earth to enjoy the good things of which there are many. I know that I often annoy people with my "Pollyanna Glad Game" but, gee........... I think we would all just love to meet Norm and Ginny or maybe clone a few sets of them to spread some extra positive words of encouragement across the US and Canada!
Cathy,

There is a measure of negativism in the world, which discourages some of the young. When we were children it was the atomic bomb. Then it was global starvation and overpopulation. Then Y2K.

All the doom sayers predictions from those eras and have been proven wrong. Most recently it's global warming and not a single of their predictions have come true.

Most of the loudest shouters gained fame and fortune while the majority trembled in fear.

The reality is time brings what ever it brings. It should not stop us from enjoying life. For creating happiness for ourselves and others. Rving puts you in direct contact with nature and a new set of people. It puts you in a small living environment where you are in more contact with facets of living, your water supply, your sewerage system, energy required to live and most of the time you're entertaining your self. Gradually you feel more in charge of your every day.

In live most people are suspicious of negative people, also be suspicious of negative doom sayers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16