Suggestions for lightest camper options - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #21

Name: Stacey
Trailer: In the market
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
If you're willing to consider a new tow vehicle, the Parkliner I have for sale has a dry weight of 2300 lbs. The layout is quite flexible. It has a bunk (removeable), wet bath, and the rear bed can make into a single, double, or queen. There's a side table for 2 or a rear table for 4. I towed with a 2012 Honda Odyssey (capacity 3,500, I think) and a Honda Pilot. No problems with either in the mountains. Here's the listing:
https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...kliner-15-1151

You're welcome to send me a message if you'd like more information.

-- Anne
Nice camper! Unfortunately, I’m not in the market just yet - can’t buy til next spring. I’m marrying off my youngest daughter this year, and that’s taking pretty much ALLLL my money. ;-p
Old 06-30-2020, 12:53 PM   #22

Name: Jeff
Illinois
Curious to see what you decide. I want to replace my Rogue which can tow a kid's wagon (maybe) with an Outback. In my case, the vehicle choice has to take precedence over a trailer though.

I've seen some Scamps up close and I really like them. With COVID, I would definitely get a toliet / shower in one. State parks can be well maintained and all that, but a communal toilet / shower building is not something I want to use in the foreseeable future. Maybe that's an overreaction, but we have over 7,000 dead in Illinois so far; I'd prefer to be cautious. And alive. LOL.

Good luck!
jcj380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssledoux View Post
Honestly, I know a LOT of people on the Subaru forum that pull Scamps, and many of them do it with the 4-cylinder.
Yes, I see that John Linck did this for many, many miles, and probably other folks here too.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post767662

They had an awfully nice looking trailer too.

https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...deluxe-oak-935

I've always been intrigued by Subarus, but haven't owned one yet. The fact that owners are so loyal to the brand says a lot.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler
I imported a 1995 Eriba Puck from England in March - it weighs around 900 lbs empty and is my third Eriba travel trailer. I had to rewire it for the 110V system and do a few other upgrades but I wound up with a little under $10K in it as it sits. It weighs around 1200 lbs ready to camp and they were designed to be towed by Volkswagens so my 112 HP Land Rover Defender tows it just fine. These crop up for sale here in the US occasionally and they are so well built they can last for decades.
Attached Thumbnails
D90&Puck3.jpg   Puck2.jpg  

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:39 AM   #25

Name: Jeff
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
I imported a 1995 Eriba Puck from England in March - it weighs around 900 lbs empty and is my third Eriba travel trailer. I had to rewire it for the 110V system and do a few other upgrades but I wound up with a little under $10K in it as it sits.
Does the $10K include the transatlantic shipping cost? And did you pick it up at the port of entry? Nice looking unit.
jcj380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Might look here

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #27

Name: Stacey
Louisiana
I really have appreciated all the suggestions. I honestly think I’ll wind up just going with a Scamp because I think it’ll be easier for me to figure out exactly what I want and am looking for, and then there’s always new if I can’t find used.

Finding an older, used one that is even less weight than the newer ones would be fantastic, but the potential of buying new and being able to really customize is great too. Of course buying used I can spend less and that’s appealing because this is going to be a real learning venture for me since it’ll be my first camper.

Since I can’t really buy til next year, that’ll give me the chance to learn all I can. There are so many things I need to know/understand as far as terminology, what the different weight terms mean (I obviously know dry weight and things like that, but I don’t fully understand the tongue weight and how that’s determined).

Anyone have some good resources that explain things like that in detail? I’d like to be able to really research the Subarus and see what they are capable of before I go buying a different vehicle.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Here's one old thread that has a lot of information: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...1-a-22864.html

Be cautioned that some of the information is a bit dated. For one, there is a strong bias against unibody vehicles in general. As they have become more common, their towing capabilities have improved a lot since these articles were written, and at least one statement (that hitches attach to the body rather than the frame) is just flat incorrect. Second, their discussion about how tow ratings are set (sea level, flat...) has changed with the standardization of tow testing. Around 2010, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published more rigorous tow testing protocols (J2807) used by most current manufacturers. Third, "The Rule"- never exceed 75% of manufacturer specifications- is far from universally accepted.

It does have some good definitions of the terminology and will give you a starting point to ask questions. Happy reading!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Tongue weight has been discussed thousands of times. Google is the best search option.

Many use 13% of total actual trailer weight. So an 1,800 pound trailer is going to have close to 250 pound tongue weight. Typically you do not run out of ratings simultaneously. On my F150 I run out of payload first, way before I am even close to the tow rating. Then I run out of tongue weight. Finally I reach the towing capacity. Tow ratings tend to sell trucks, rather than towing capability. Only later do many find out the limitations. The more deluxe the truck, the lower the payload (generalization). So a “King Ranch” kind of sucks for towing, while the bottom end model, the XL, can be more capable.

There are a wide variety of smaller SUVs with around 3,500 pound tow rating. Read the ratings closely.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #30

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Eriba Puck, charming made in France.

I was out this weekend in my vintage Eriba Puck. It was so easy to pull through the mountains with my Isuzu Rodeo. She's very light, less than 1200 loaded and has a nice layout with a King size bed and kitchenette.

My camping these past 20 years, as a landscape artist, was very much solo with requirements similar to yours. The Eriba Puck is very charming, especially the older model as mine. There are very few of them in the US.
They get a lot of attention as they are unique.

Check out the Barrett Jackson auctions here:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-ERIBA-PUCK-CAMPING-TRAILER-118035

Regretfully, my BF wants a pickup camper for our trip to Alaska and I'm selling my Puck. have a fiberglass camper which I won't part with.

PM if you want to chat.
Cheers!
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light