Summer dreams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Summer dreams

This winter I seem to be thinking and longing more than usual for summer travel. Since my work is on a school schedule, I have summers off. I can hardly wait for summer vacation this year! Daydreaming and planning....

My wife and I almost always take a summer trip to Michigan and visit relatives. While ensconced at her mother's house, I like to get away and do some camping. Last year I found that great campsite high above the AuSable River, and it would be nice to get back there. And my sister moved last fall from the Thumb (Deckerville) to Petoskey, so I have good reason to spend some time up that way. Maybe take the ferry to Mackinac Island and ride my bike all the way 'round once again, enjoying the lake shore. Thinking about checking out the CG at Fisherman's Island SP (Charlevoix) also, never been there. Maybe Aloha SP or Burt Lake, same thing. Ya know, even though I spent the first 30+ years of my life in Michigan, I really have been to very few of the MI state parks! Time to change that.

All that water begs for a way to get onto it. Having tried a kayak a couple of years ago and not liking the low seat position, I thought long and hard about a canoe, or an inflatable like the Saturn KaBoat. But the more I look, the more I like the simplicity and light weight of a stand up paddle board (SUP)... so I'm going to get one and try it out all summer. The idea of a 25 lb craft that can be carried to water's edge, plopped down in the water and hopped onto is really appealing. One can paddle while standing, kneeling, or sitting on the board... and there's even room to lie down... great flexibility!

And after getting back home from Michigan, I'm dreaming of a nice, long, slow trip through the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and several days of relaxation at the Grand Tetons. Again, plenty of places to put the board in on some lake. I can see myself paddling up String Lake and portaging to Leigh Lake some calm summer morning. I bought a waterproof bag for the camera, so that can come along to record the scenery! And while en route through Colorado, perhaps this will be the year to take a ride (in the back of a 4WD vehicle, cameras in hand) on the Black Bear trail into Telluride. I've wanted to ride that road ever since I laid my eyes on those switchbacks rising up the mountain's face alongside the magnificent waterfall.

Yep, it's kind of difficult to keep my mind on work. C'mon, summertime, hurry up!

Ok, do you have summer dreams, too? If so, post 'em! Let's hear where you are going camping!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Sounds like a great plan Mike. Have you been to Killarney Provincial Park/George Lake? Thinking you would really like it. It is on Georgian Bay just south west of Sudbury. Thinking it would be right up your alley and not far from Michigan.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Get off the school schedule and retire. That way you can travel all year. That's what we did. Gotta say retirement is the best job I ever had.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Bob, you are so right. I took the 30 and out escape route from a major corporation and never regretted it. Sure you loose a few bucks of potential income but IMHO it is worth it.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Bob, I'd be thrilled to retire today! If someone would just volunteer to pay my bills until I can draw Social Security in 10 years... ?

Wayne, I probably would like it there. When I was young, my parents would take me to lakes in the Wawa/Chapleau area for some fishing. The drive along Lake Superior was always a treat, and the small lakes were quiet and pleasant too. We never did swing SE from the Soo.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The best part about the stand up paddle board is the view you have. We have had a canoe ever since, then some years ago we bought two kayaks, we like them, but sitting below the water line is too low. I would often stand up in the canoe, to stretch, but mostly to get a better view of the banks. If it gets choppy, is the SUP still manageable? I only tried it once, on a calm lake.

And, yes, retirement is good. I am on the "normal" schedule, but should have made the career change sooner.

I am also dreaming of summer and getting more and more impatient. Just came down from the roof after chipping ice dams to stop leaks. They forecast MINUS 16F for tonight in central Vermont. Climate change? Yes, always. Warming? No.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Good topic...especially considering the battering winter we've been experiencing on the East Coast.
Dreaming and planning of summertime travels & checking out the camping sites online have been a great way to pass this winter so far.

Since I retired just before Christmas, this will be our first summer to spend without worrying about my work schedule. We plan on spending as much time as we can at our recreational property on a river about 90 mins from here. Next winter we are planning a 4-5 month trip to the warmer climes...Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico---somewhere!

Any suggestions of "must see" places and great camping spots (boondocking or paid) are always welcomed.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I am also dreaming of summer and getting more and more impatient. Just came down from the roof after chipping ice dams to stop leaks. They forecast MINUS 16F for tonight in central Vermont. Climate change? Yes, always. Warming? No.
The forecasters were wrong - it was MINUS TWENTY this morning. But in a few weeks, if all goes well - Florida - here we come!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Shoveled off my roof this past weekend . One good thing with really cold weather is that the snow is light and somewhat fluffy . Today and for today only the temps are climbing into the 20 deg range so I'm planning on spending time outdoors.
All to soon it will be the season of hot , sticky & humid and the fun will be over!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #10

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Dreaming about summer is a favourite occupation for me. A couple of days ago our windchill was -50C!

I too have wondered about a stand up paddle board. Wish I knew someone who owned one and would let me try it out. It might make a nice change from the boats we already have (there are photos in the Photography thread).
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #11

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
I retired December 11th, got a new Scamp on December 29th, and have been trying to wait out this long, cold winter by dreaming of the warmer days and travels to come. It's therapeutic to have this web site and to occasionally see pictures of people sitting outside with their trailers in warmer climes. The alternative here is cabin fever.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote