Suspicious sale - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Eventually
Ohio
Posts: 5
Suspicious sale

If this is in the wrong place, please let me know and I will move it.

I started communicating with a woman through Facebook Marketplace. I said I was interested in her posting, so we messaged, then emailed. Her latest email to me has my Spidey Senses tingling. I don't know if this is legit or a scam. She is selling a 17' 2010 casita freedom for $1400. The reason for selling it so cheap is because he hisband died a couple months ago, and it brings back bad memories for her, and she had to move, etc. At first, I thought maybe she left a 0 off the price.

My wife just sent me a link to what seems to be the same original posting, but in a different city.

Here is her latest email back to me.

Hello again,
As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved back to my hometown, Arvada, CO. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the camper. The trailer is here with me and will be transported directly to your home address and you will have it for 5 days to see how it's working. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name.
-shipping address.
-phone number.
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They need to verify all the documents and as soon as they approve the transaction will contact you to clarify how the entire transaction will be done. eBay will send you an invoice with transaction and payment instructions. Waiting for your email with the requested details.

Thanks,
atstepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SteveV's Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by atstepchild View Post
If this is in the wrong place, please let me know and I will move it.

I started communicating with a woman through Facebook Marketplace. I said I was interested in her posting, so we messaged, then emailed. Her latest email to me has my Spidey Senses tingling. I don't know if this is legit or a scam. She is selling a 17' 2010 casita freedom for $1400. The reason for selling it so cheap is because he hisband died a couple months ago, and it brings back bad memories for her, and she had to move, etc. At first, I thought maybe she left a 0 off the price.

My wife just sent me a link to what seems to be the same original posting, but in a different city.

Here is her latest email back to me.

Hello again,
As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved back to my hometown, Arvada, CO. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the camper. The trailer is here with me and will be transported directly to your home address and you will have it for 5 days to see how it's working. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name.
-shipping address.
-phone number.
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They need to verify all the documents and as soon as they approve the transaction will contact you to clarify how the entire transaction will be done. eBay will send you an invoice with transaction and payment instructions. Waiting for your email with the requested details.

Thanks,
It's a scam, do NOT give them your info! It's been a few years ago but that same ploy was used on vintage car sales.
Being listed in multiple cities is a big clue to a scam listing.

A good test to it being a scam is reply from a different email address than you have already used & tell them you are in the location where the camper is and that you want to look at it now. It's a safe bet you will not get a reply from them.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Posts: 918
Registry
Ebay does not do any of the things that scammer says they do. Keep away.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Eventually
Ohio
Posts: 5
Thank you. I had a feeling it was too good to be true, especially since it was about 10% of what its value should be.
atstepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
SteveV's Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Posts: 290
craigslist is full of those types of ads also. Typically anything that should have a value of $10k+ (tractors, 4 wheelers, campers) they price @ $1501.00.

The picture they will post (usually only one) is one lifted from another ad listed somewhere else then they will overlay a gmail or hotmail address right on the picture. They will add a sad story & hope you feel the need to act quickly so you don't miss out on the great deal......and send a deposit to hold it.
Bye bye $$$$
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 3,370
Registry
People who think they can get something for nothing end up with nothing and a lighter wallet.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,852
The other day I got an email regarding a problem with my Wells Fargo account. To get the information required I type in my user name and password. But I don't have a Wells Fargo account. Used to be they used a gun. Now they use the internet.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
Posts: 1,554
Scam
Run as fast as you can
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Al and Cindy K's Avatar
 
Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Posts: 594
Scam.

Got a call earlier this AM from Microsoft saying they were filing for bankruptcy on 2/15 and wanted to issue a credit for the software I'd recently purchased before the courts froze all their assets. They just needed my credit card number and CV code.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Steve Hammel's Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Posts: 2,034
Registry
It's a scam run as fast as you can. Another popular one is someone claiming to be deployed to a war zone and they need the money to help pay the family's expenses. Then they want you to send money any which way. If it seems too good to be true it definitely is.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #11
JBB
Senior Member
 
JBB's Avatar
 
Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The other day I got an email regarding a problem with my Wells Fargo account. To get the information required I type in my user name and password. But I don't have a Wells Fargo account. Used to be they used a gun. Now they use the internet.

I got the same email from Wells Fargo! I called them telling them about the email as well as not having an account with them! Forwarded the email to them per their instructions so they could try tracking it to the source! Definitely a lot of scams out there especially on Craig's List.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
vintageracer's Avatar
 
Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1974 Hunter Compact II & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Posts: 603
I've got Ocean front property for sale in Arizona.

Let's make a deal!
__________________
Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Posts: 390
Registry
Hey, I just found out I'm getting a $30 million inheritance from an unclaimed account from a person who wants to sneak it out of Nigeria before the authorities seize it. All I have to do is send a $300 processing fee by Western Union.

Sneaking an unclaimed inheritance out of a country would be illegal, so the person is asking you to participate in a crime. If he thinks it's okay to steal from the government, wouldn't he also be willing to steal from you?

Scams rely on greed. It may sound too good to be true, but some are blinded by their greed. Even intelligent people can be scammed. In fact I think intelligent people might be more prone to being scammed if they think they are too smart to be scammed.

My sister's father-in-law was the CEO of a large hospital before he retired. He certainly was a very intelligent person. He was scammed in a 419 scam out of well over a million dollars. His paid for home was lost, as well as his retirement nest egg. He and his wife ended up destitute.

If you want some enlightening reading about scams check out https://www.419eater.com/

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Posts: 390
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I've got Ocean front property for sale in Arizona.

Let's make a deal!
Sounds great! Just send me your bank checking account and routing number, credit card info, including the security code, and I'll send a deposit of $3 million dollars in each account. You can refund me any excess after we strike the deal.

I trust you, You can trust me.

Honest Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Ronald
Trailer: Boler 13' 1974
Ontario
Posts: 298
Registry
scam

Run, run, run...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: In the market
KY
Posts: 16
Too Good To Be True

We encounter a similar situation about a year ago. The woman had a Cassida for sale at a very good price, but wouldn't let us inspect the trailer even though we were only 90 minutes away. She insisted that we make our payment utilizing Goggle Paid Cards.
While modern technology applications appear to be nice, we are very old fashion, and will only utilize try and true transactions methods.
Liteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13
Georgia
Posts: 21
Not sure, but think it was Woody Guthrie who said something to the effect of "some rob you with a six-gun; others with a fountain pen."
__________________
Peregrino

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." Andy Rooney
rjg433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Alex Adams's Avatar
 
Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteone View Post
She insisted that we make our payment utilizing Goggle Paid Cards.
While modern technology applications appear to be nice, we are very old fashion, and will only utilize try and true transactions methods.
I remember when this same type of scam used to be done with Money Orders. The scam hasn't changed, just the technology used to perpetrate it.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Posts: 2,109
The average bank robber that uses a gub gets $1500 and twenty years. Use a pen and it goes to $200,000 and 5 years.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,226
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The average bank robber that uses a gub gets $1500 and twenty years. Use a pen and it goes to $200,000 and 5 years.
Do we need to be stricter on “GUB” control?
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.