Sway disaster... - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #81

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
A new Silverado 1500 is a pretty serious tow vehicle that would be unfazed by a lil Casita needing only about 300 pounds on the tongue. Headlights are probably still aimed! (you should check though) If you are loading the Casita properly and your trailer brakes are adjusted you would need no sway control. A simple friction anti sway device could be insurance, but not necessary.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #82

Name: Kamala
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Cool, Russ! Gives us confidence.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:37 AM   #83

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Kamala and Charley,

You should have no trouble towing your Casita, we towed a Casita 16 with a 4 cylinder CRV for a year and it towed beautifully. Sounds like you have a Casita 17, a little heavier but the same shape with a bigger tow vehicle. I'd be shocked if you ever see sway, I have never with any of our fiberglass trailers and we ran a very light tongue weight. As many have said the way to correct sway should it happen is to use the lever on your controller to apply just trailer brakes. I test for this every travel day but have never had to use it.

Enjoy your trip to Alaska, the ride up is as good as Alaska, particularly the Yukon. If I haven't said it yet, be sure to by the Milepost book before you leave. It's the best guide I've ever found to anywhere.

The road to Alaska is not too bad except for the construction zones, just take it easy. We found you could not cover long distances once you got to Alaska, it's not like driving the Interstates, besides who wants to. we found us forever pulling over just to look.

As you said, Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy Sh**, what a ride!"

We've been traveling for long stretches for 15 years. I often say that if I were to die today it would be OK, our last 15 years have been wonderful, beyond anything I could ever imagine. We are leading the carefree life of children on a summer day. I never suspected how wonderful our lives would be on the road, as Ginny says "we're blessed".

We hope to be able to travel for 10 more years, probably at a slower pace but together sharing the adventure of the road. Wishing you the very best trip possible. By the way Kalama is an interesting name.

Safe and joyous travel.

Kamala - lotus or perfection and integrity depending on the language..nice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:35 AM   #84

Name: Kamala
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Wow! Norm and Ginny, nice, really nice. I feel all warm and fuzzy. This is a nice community May you have tailwinds and smooth roads in your future travels.--Kamala
kamalamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #85

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Without calling names, it's revealing to drive through Delaware. In Delaware people convicted of drunk driving get a black licence plate with white lettering. I like the concept, it serves as a reminder to all and an indicator to the police. There really are a lot of them.
Actually that is incorrect. Delaware license plate numbers are consecutive and the tags are revered for their low numbers. There is even a bidding war if a low number becomes available. They were all black with white letters until the 1950's where the color changed. Publicly branding a drunk driving conviction I'm sure violates one's civil liberties.
http://mail.shootmagazine.com/wildwe...808929152.html
Old 04-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #86
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalamak View Post
Our new TV is a 2015 Silverado 1500 with GVWR upgraded to 6900 lbs. We then had 3-inch lift kit added to the Casita. Owners manual says (even without the upgrade) that the WDH is optional for our size of trailer (< 7000 lbs). When we hitch up the trailer, the truck doesn't seem to move. We've always seen the WDH as a precaution but are now wondering if we really need it.
Pickups, especially with a lift will get very sketchy towing a trailer whenever you need to do an emergency maneuver or quick lane change. If it were me I would be using the WDH which would be added safety/stability
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #87

California
Yes the dreaded "avoidance maneuver" sucks for tall vehicles, even when not towing. My tug is lifted and I think about having to swerve knowing the outcome could be bad, but take the risk as do all truck drivers on the highways. In northern California I had to make a quick lane change and actually drifted the Scamp sideways. The Jeep held tight and we didn't roll, so it was a good day! Pick up trucks have a front heavy weight bias, and springs in the rear for carrying pay loads. They actually ride better loaded than empty. A WDH will further unload the rear and place more weight on the front and trailer tires. It almost sounds counter productive, but could have some benefit in keeping the trailer from drifting like mine did. It could make the truck have more tendency to drift though. I would want to do some test maneuvers to see what works best. When my Scamp drifted out I had a friction anti sway in use. It actually helped force the trailer to break into the slide when you think about what it does. It adds friction to the hinge point. Interesting thought....
Russ
Old 04-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #88

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually that is incorrect. Delaware license plate numbers are consecutive and the tags are revered for their low numbers. There is even a bidding war if a low number becomes available. They were all black with white letters until the 1950's where the color changed. Publicly branding a drunk driving conviction I'm sure violates one's civil liberties.
Delaware License Plate Tag T12152 Vintage 1951 - 1958 used, new for sale - Shoot Magazine - Wild West Collectibles
Jim,

You are right and I am wrong. I don't recall where that info came for but I obviously did not check it though I think it's a good idea. 7 states have tried to pass a law like that and it's only passed in MN and OH. Delaware is adopting an ignition interlock device.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #89

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
The NUMBER ONE contributing factor to bumper pull trailer sway is a tongue that is too short --- Period.

Too short means an improper design, by the builder, that does not give enough length (leverage) from the trailer axles to the pivot point (hitch ball). In other words this results in the tow vehicle not having as much leverage on the weight of a trailer with a shorter tongue. If you can figure out a way to LENGTHEN THE TONGUE of your trailer that is the simplest way to reduce towed vehicle instability.

The number two factor (harder to fix) is a pivot point (hitch ball) that is an excessive distance from the tow vehicle back axle. This distance does two things: It acts as a lever that gives more leverage to the trailer vs the tow vehicle --- NOT A GOOD THING. The second thing: The longer the distance from TV axle to ball the more the ball moves (whips) sideways during turns. The tow vehicle turns and the ball moves sideways opposite to the center line of the combined vehicle turn direction. This swinging out starts the trailer turning opposite the turning direction of the tow vehicle --- ALSO NOT A GOOD THING.

DO NOT EVER USE ONE OF THOSE EXTENDED BALL MOUNTS THAT PUTS THE BALL ONE ~ TWO FEET BEHIND THE BUMPER OF THE TOW VEHICLE!

Weight distributing and friction sway control hitches are ALL dangerous, expensive attempts to compensate for poor design engineering.

Now you can talk about tow vehicle weight, suspension and trailer load weight distribution percentages etc.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #90

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have to agree with the above statements.
This is the reason I extended the frame and tongue on my 16' Scamp and one reason the VW TDI wagon tows well. The distance from the axle is fairly short, but about a foot further than the Golf it is based on. One reason the VW is #1 rated tow car in the UK many years.
Also the tow vehicle will handle no better with a trailer than it does without one. Poor handling vehicles don't really make better towing machines.
Pickup trucks MIGHT be the exception except for the rudimentary rear suspension and the high center of gravity along with the distance from the axle to the hitch ball.
Before I bought a new (to me) 2013 TDI Sportwagen We tired out almost every tow vehicle out there that has the capability to tow 3000+ lbs. (I know the US VW rates the Sportwagen at about 27 lbs, but the UK rated the same vehicle at 1500 KG) and they all were lacking in comparison in handling and power. Or at least torque and acceleration. I can't speak for power per se, but the 140 HP and 240 ft/lbs seems to be worth more than the others.
WIth the superior rear suspension and balance the VW/Scamp combo tracks nicely and the stability is pretty deadbeat. It is the typical "can't tell its back there" thing.
The wagon also has trailer electronic stabilization when the factory electrical kit is installed.
The longer tongue also helps reduce the vertical load on the TV which for small cars is a good thing. I will be adding air bags to level the wagon for headlight aiming. This is the only thing that I think needs attention. Probably lots of others need them too.
The DOT tests indicate the the airbags give about 1/2 of the increase instability of the weight distributing hitch. This is without unloading the rear end and the complication.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #91

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
The one time that I had a sway issue, I was pulling a 6' x 8' utility trailer that I had overloaded grossly and not enough tongue weight. I got up to about 25 mph when the sway began. I stopped and redistributed the weight then went on my way, never exceding 30 mph. I was only going three miles, so speed was not an issue.

The question I have is, I know about applying trailer brakes from the controller, but how do you apply trailer brakes only with surge brakes? In a couple of months, I am renting a U-Haul to bring some furniture back from Ohio. Since U-Haul requires only four pin electrical, I assume that the brakes are surge.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #92

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
The question I have is, I know about applying trailer brakes from the controller, but how do you apply trailer brakes only with surge brakes? In a couple of months, I am renting a U-Haul to bring some furniture back from Ohio. Since U-Haul requires only four pin electrical, I assume that the brakes are surge.[/QUOTE]

You can't.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #93

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
The question I have is, I know about applying trailer brakes from the controller, but how do you apply trailer brakes only with surge brakes? In a couple of months, I am renting a U-Haul to bring some furniture back from Ohio. Since U-Haul requires only four pin electrical, I assume that the brakes are surge.

You can't.[/QUOTE]

Didn't think so!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #94

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I think that VW US has a different agenda on towing that is not shared with VW ROW. One issue with the factory towbar setup is the 5 MPH bumpers which go away with that setup. ranted there is very little difference, but it has not been tested. Also the towbar does not have the factory provisions for two chains since the Euro setup is different using a breakaway system instead. Also there are no provisions for electric brake controllers and this has to be added (like many cars). However the trailer module has programming for the North American market. This module tells the caar there is a trailer attached and modifies the programming of the ESP, transmission, cooling, and engine to account for it.
I am posting the setup of my new car on the TDI forum along with purchasing information if anyone is interested.
I don't have much that is super useful to add here, but there is another hitch option now (as of about 6 weeks ago) from Torklift Central for the Sportwagen.. it does have the proper chain loops on both sides, but it is not really set up to add wiring (easily solved with a curt bracket). You can get it in either a 2" or 1 1/4" receiver version.

I installed mine in an afternoon and did the wiring another afternoon - all fairly straightforward, and aside from scratching my head a few times on various parts of the trim removal process to mount the brake controller and then to run the brake controller wiring from the front, I had no issues (well, apart from the screws included to attach the plug being too short - it's pictured with zip ties holding it in place until I get longer screws).

sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #95

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
The one time that I had a sway issue, I was pulling a 6' x 8' utility trailer that I had overloaded grossly and not enough tongue weight. I got up to about 25 mph when the sway began. I stopped and redistributed the weight then went on my way, never exceding 30 mph. I was only going three miles, so speed was not an issue.

Dennis,
Since you cannot activate the surge trailer brakes just make sure to load the UHaul properly. Erring on the side of too heavy tongue weight is better than too light. You may have to temporarily re-aim your head lights for the trip if you tug sags too much.
Some of the UHaul rentals place the trailer axle dead center of the box which encourages badly balanced loads. Not all are like that, so look for one with the axle placed more toward the rear if you have a choice.
Russ
Old 05-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #96

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Dennis,
Since you cannot activate the surge trailer brakes just make sure to load the UHaul properly. Erring on the side of too heavy tongue weight is better than too light. You may have to temporarily re-aim your head lights for the trip if you tug sags too much.
Some of the UHaul rentals place the trailer axle dead center of the box which encourages badly balanced loads. Not all are like that, so look for one with the axle placed more toward the rear if you have a choice.
Russ
I most assuredly learned the lesson of tongue weight many years ago. The stuff I am hauling is fairly light, but I think I can load all but one wardrobe ahead of the axle.