Swaying with a 13 foot trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Swaying with a 13 foot trailer?

I keep hearing about making sure your trailer doesn't sway and I have seen trailers bigger than mine sway. Mouse is uhaul ct13 which is actually 14 foot long. She has never swayed even in the wind going fast or slow.

My question is: Do other people's small trailers sway?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Ours doesn't nor does our 31 ft nor did ANY of the many others that we've had and we never had any sway control. Important or even imperative that you have proper hitch weight which should be somewhere between 10% and 15% of the trailer weight on the hitch. Too heavy in the rear and the tail wags the dog.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Only one time in 50 years did I have a trailer sway and that was a utility trailer not loaded correctly(Never leave loading to someone else!). Never had a travel trailer sway. Just remember to slow down when appropriate, especially in winds and around big sidewalled trucks.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I have had a BIG cargo trailer sway when loaded wrong and a stack of 6 flatdecks that tried to pull out and pass me. Had a car hauler try to do that too. Moved the car ahead about 6 inches in the trailer and lashed it down again - problem solved. The brake control box provides instant relief for the "tight sphincter Syndrome" that happens when sway sets in, but if you need to use it for that purpose, you've done something wrong.

Sway controllers may mask the symptoms, but not fix the actual problem - which is too low a percentage tongue weight
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
No sway yet with the Trillium.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Nope, not a sign of sway, ever.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
MIne doesnt sway either - but if I loaded bikes on the back end of it or filled up my rear water tanks without moving anything up to the front to balance it out I bet I could get it to sway :-)

If a trailer is going to sway it is very common for it to happen when towing over x so mph and going down a hill.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Believe me, YOU DON"T WANT IT TO SWAY! Seriously!

I have witnessed sway on several trailers along our travels most are able to get it under control, some not so lucky. One so bad that it did come out from behind the tow vehicle and wipe out 4 lanes of traffic. With the travel trailer sliding side ways on it's side across the lane I was driving in . Hence why towing properly is such an issue! Because it can happen even when you think you got it all set up right!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #9

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Never (not even a hint of) any sway pulling the 15ft that weights less than 1/3 of my TV. Not on bumps, not in cross-winds, bot passing ore being passed by any vehicle. Based on my previous experience, when I got the Jubilee, I thought of mounting sway control bar but, after couple trips, I figure; why bother? YMMV
I had couple cases of severe sway at high speed (my shoelaces stood up straight up) when puling double axle 30 footer with gross weight that had to be approaching the weight of the TV. After installing sway control bar, no problems. In one case, sway was induced by bumpy road, in another, it was induced by a rapid manoeuvre to avoid hitting a moose.
All in all, I'm convinced that beside proper tongue weight, ratio of weight between the trailer and TV is a VERY important factor.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
All in all, I'm convinced that beside proper tongue weight, ratio of weight between the trailer and TV is a VERY important factor.
Andrew I think your correct!

I actually had a fellow with a big truck pulling a small utility trailer almost take me out on the I5 on the way to the Northern Oregon Gathering. He was traveling way to fast with a very light trailer with little in it and the thing started swaying badly - came within inches of hitting me - not once but three times before he managed to slow it all down and faded off in the horizon behind me. Suspect it scared him as much as it scared me.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #11

Name: Cubby
Trailer: Eggcamper Fiberglass for sale 2010
Ohio
13 ft. trailer sway

loaded to heavy inback....in otherwords ,tongue wt. is too light....axle(s) out of alignmernt...roughpavement...tires low on air...or not inflated properly rletting up on power (gas ) pedal and vacum of large trucks put your unit in sway...to correct press on throttle (... small amount when truuck makes its move to pass you and your unit if in a sway apply trailer brakes intermittonly(SP) SORRY...CAN't type either use hunt and peck..method been pulling for a few years... anyone wants to take exception you won't hurt my feelings...just know whay I have experiencedr many a mile and have learned a few tricks towing to fast can also be a big problem...did I miss anything I always like to learn you can teach this "ole"boy new ideas...I listen
Bill "cub"
Bill Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #12

Registry
Hunt and peck works for me Bill looks like you covered most of the reasons I know of as well.

Another trick/hint I was taught was if the trailer does start to sway badly and you have a brake controller you should avoid using the tow vehicles brakes and just pull the lever on the controller so the brakes are applied only to the trailer to bring it back in line.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #13

Name: Cubby
Trailer: Eggcamper Fiberglass for sale 2010
Ohio
Hi Carol I forgot to say that if the trailer unit is not level...back of trailer is much lower to pavement than the front hitch....this can cause problems usually get a buck-board affect...."rockn rolling"" very sickining to folks in the towing vehicle...also not safe ...unit should be level or lower in he front...level is best in answer to 13 foot unit swaying or other lengths for that matter...
Bill Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mouse: I'd never go near a trailer that's swaying...specially early in the mornin'!!! Just keep on walking. LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Mouse: I'd never go near a trailer that's swaying...specially early in the mornin'!!! Just keep on walking. LoL
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Alf something tells me you have experienced that on some of those wine tours you go on?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yes, quite sometime ago I had my bike on the back and a full tank of water which then made the tongue light. Everything was fine until I was going too fast, down a hill and picking up speed when I hit a little bump. That's all it took. Scared me to death so I now watch my speed, never go over 60mph. I added an anti sway bar just 'cause.

Now, I've had the generator on the tongue for several years which fully compensates for the weight of bike and full water tank. The trailer is well balanced and there is no need for the anti sway bar but I still use it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote