t@b camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
t@b camper

Are the t@b campers essentially stick built with the same moisture/leak problems that are common?
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Yup.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
drat... I really like the layout but I like a dry camper more
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We shopped them and visited the dealer to lay hands on one but just couldn't pull the trigger. Nice camper.

However, all campers leak...all of them. It's just a matter of time. Being able to fix your own problems is the secret to success. Being able to maintain your own camper will make it last for a very long time. T@B has a newer larger model coming out that is making some big news on the sales floor but it's still a stick built camper that still requires love and attention. Better'n most but still gonna leak someday.

bill (not laura)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
t@b

last summer we at the trouting park and a guy comes in with a T@B tugged by a can-am motorcycle

he pulled it up a very steep hill too

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
The T@B 400 looks like a nice unit for a stick built. For the size it seems well designed. NüCamp also stands behind their products. T@B owners love their trailers. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have always liked these trailers. My father in law had one. Very efficient use of space, nice windows, easy to tow, and a big bed. The new ones are using aluminum instead of wood and they seem to have gotten a handle on the delamination issues of the past. But they go through dealers making them expensive. They use alot of plastic parts on the outside and I can't find anything on the floor construction. Still, if I were in the market I'd give them a close look.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #8

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
Are the t@b campers essentially stick built with the same moisture/leak problems that are common?
While they are stick built, they do not have the same problems with leaks. I have two family members that own them, one has had one for 10 years. Never had a leak, and most people do not have leaks. So no it is not a common problem.

Keep in mind that fiberglass trailers can and do leak, and it can and does do major damage.

T@B's also hold there value really well.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
one oof our dons has a T@B 400 and is a clever design. It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be much clever'modern design in fiberglass trailers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:43 AM   #10

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
The T@B 400 looks like a nice unit for a stick built. For the size it seems well designed. NüCamp also stands behind their products. T@B owners love their trailers. Mike
As a former owner of a 2015 CS-S, i can attest to T@B (nucamp)standing behind their product. That said, i came back to molded fiberglass. The bathroom is larger.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am under the impression that there have been a few different owners of the T@B company overall too and models other than the original that are likely constructed in a different manor too?

I had an original Dutchman T@B and it was indeed a Sticky but with laminated fiberglass side walls. Interesting design ,standard crappy sticky build quality and very lightweight with Euro windows and door but other wise pure Stick Built too!

They stopped making then and the T@B was bought by another company with a history with Teardrop sized and style rigs and I think few if any basic changes were made so I bet still just a Sticky with fiberglass sides,sort of?

I sold mine to Melissa and she sold it too and bought a Scamp.
I like the trailer a lot but not as much as a molded one!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post

T@B's also hold there value really well.
Seems not the case in the one posted for sale on this forum.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
one oof our dons has a T@B 400 and is a clever design. It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be much clever'modern design in fiberglass trailers.
Nest, Armadillo, Happier Camper- to name a few. There also seems to be some forward thinking in the Curve(?) trailer (UK). It comes at a price.

The reality is there isn't a lot of clever, compact, modern design in any segment of the RV industry, particularly in NA. The market generally favors volume for the buck.

However, the growth of newer offerings like T@b, Taxa Cricket, Base Camp, and Alto Safari Condo, along with the molded offerings previously mentioned, is promising.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #14

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Seems not the case in the one posted for sale on this forum.
Seems like they hold their value just fine.

Used ones from Dutchman are still going for 10k, they were only 13k new, that is not bad.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #15

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I am under the impression that there have been a few different owners of the T@B company overall too and models other than the original that are likely constructed in a different manor too?

Yes and no. The original makers Dutchman did go out of business. Little Guy Worldwide obtained the rights to make the trailer, they gave those rights to Pleasant Valley (co-run by Little Guy at that time). This happened around 2010, in 2017, Pleasent Valley and Little Guy Worldwide parted ways. Pleasent Valley created NuCamp RV (its distribution arm) and is now selling under that name. So T@B trailers have been made by the same company since Pleasent Valley started making them.

Very much disagree with the quality comment. There is a reason very few owners have leak problems and why T@B's in general have held their value.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I've studied them a bit. They do seem better than many/most. The little guy max is another contender. They use seamless bonded panels, and some are better than others at not delaminating. I also wonder whether the rounded teardrop shapes hold together better than designs with sharp roof corners.
I don't know. New ones were around $30ish, list prices even higher. Lots of haggling.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote