T@B vs ?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #41
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It is even more amazing is that the Volvo you are showing apparently isn't in the United States, or even North America for that matter. With that left side entry door, it appears to be in Great Britain where the specifications are different..... and ignoring those specifications are not a topic open for discussion.
Nope!
For what it's worth Volvo is one company that uses the same ratings in North America as they do in Europe.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Nope!
For what it's worth Volvo is one company that uses the same ratings in North America as they do in Europe.

So even if the OP lived in Europe they are stuck with the 165lb tongue weight limit spec put on it by Volvo - even more interesting is in Europe they would not be able to find a company such as the one you love to promote here that would put any hitch or other gear on her vehicle to permit her to tow anything more than what the vehicle manufactures specs state. Its illegal for them to do so and the police do check.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #43
MC1

Ontario
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Its illegal for them to do so and the police do check.
That is a crime in itself. Police are now the local towing experts. Whats the world coming to.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Wow, page 3 contains 14 posts and 6 of those are from one person.

I looked at the manual in the link. It lists max trailer hitch weight of 400 lbs, although this figure is reduced as more weight is added to the 2nd and (most especially) 3rd row areas of the vehicle. If this table of info is valid for the model year Elizabeth owns, it should be possible to tow most of the FG eggs. The 17' Casita with front bath is likely out of range, but most others can be kept under 300 lb hitch weight.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #45

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And there is a group in VA that is actively campaigning to get that sort of law/enforcement in the USofA.

But, then again, Volvo is no longer your Grandfathers Volvo. It's still great, but not head and shoulders above everyone else on the road in safety and reliability as it was in the 544/122/145 Daze.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
You CANNOT go by Scamp's figures on weights OR tongue weights. My Scamp from the factory's tongue weight was 225 lbs! I've since removed my propane and havent re-weighed it.

Ok...here's my question: What is the actual TOW CAPACITY of that Volvo? What capacity does it list it for??
A full 20#propane tank weighs 38#... empty is 18#.
I think Scamps weights are good estimates, the tongue weight would be accurate as well without the front bath. Yours is of course a front bath and you weighed it empty without any water behind the axle, right?

You do mean to ask "TOW RATING" of that Volvo don't you?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
That is a crime in itself. Police are now the local towing experts. Whats the world coming to.
Actually the police do not set the rules they just enforce them. In Europe hitches are made for each specific vehicle and are stamped accordingly - with a capacity rating that matches the one set by the auto manufacturer. So the police have no need to be so called towing experts ;-)

To make it even easier for the law to be enforced the vehicle itself also has a visible tag on it showing its manufactures towing specs.

From AA http://www.theaa.com/index.html
[
"B]Tow brackets[/B]
Tow brackets must be tested to the appropriate British or European standard and use mounting points recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Cars registered since 1 August 1998 must only be fitted with a 'type approved' bracket tested to European Directive 94/20/EC. The bracket will have a label, plate, or stamping detailing the type approval number and the vehicle for which it is an approved fitment.

Some vehicles are not rated for towing by the vehicle manufacturer – no gross train weight will be shown on the VIN plate – and are not able to have a towbar fitted. An example is the Ford KA which has no declared train weight, and no mounting points for a tow bar."

So basically your friends at Can-Am would be not doing any custom hitch work if they were in Europe
Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #48

Towing Experts

Quote:
It would be left to the government and the manufacturers to determine & specify safe towing limits for vehicles, all the police have to do is enforce those specifications.

And as mentioned, Europe has been doing that for years, and Caravan Camping is a booming business.

I think that Germany has the tightest driving rules in the Euro Zone and, from my own experience, as a group, they also have the best drivers.
If interested, follow this link, read the story and click on "Driving" to the left.
How To Germany - DUI - Not a Good Thing

Old 07-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Wow, page 3 contains 14 posts and 6 of those are from one person.

I looked at the manual in the link. It lists max trailer hitch weight of 400 lbs, although this figure is reduced as more weight is added to the 2nd and (most especially) 3rd row areas of the vehicle. If this table of info is valid for the model year Elizabeth owns, it should be possible to tow most of the FG eggs. The 17' Casita with front bath is likely out of range, but most others can be kept under 300 lb hitch weight.
Mike if I am not mistaken the links to the manual posted are for the XC90 that Wayne posted the photo of. Elizabeth owns an XC70 - smaller vehicle with a lower tow spec.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #50

Name: elizabeth
Trailer: T@B
Oregon
That is an XC60. It is the smaller SUV.
There is a BRAND new, gorgeous XC90 that won;t be delivered until the fall...the first edition sold out. I have an XC70...and a story to tell y'all about my trip to my dealer today....
ORshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #51

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And there is a group in VA that is actively campaigning to get that sort of law/enforcement in the USofA.

But, then again, Volvo is no longer your Grandfathers Volvo. It's still great, but not head and shoulders above everyone else on the road in safety and reliability as it was in the 544/122/145 Daze.
Congers up a vision of a world of sheeple, eschewing responsibility in favor of guidance from superiors with crooks and shears in hand.

A little government, like salt, preserves and adds flavor, too much and you get high blood pressure and a fowl taste in your mouth.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #52

Name: elizabeth
Trailer: T@B
Oregon
I went in to schedule my tow package and, of course, asked the burning questions. The Service Manager came over and joined in. He has horses and does A LOT of towing. (not with a VOlvo) He told me to get a WDH and I can tow up to 3500.... but wouldn't sign that.... (--as Bob predicted--). He said I would be fine and that my car was a sturdy strong workhorse. And no they didn't know why that 165lbs was on the books. We're going to call Volvo.
ORshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #53

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORshepherd View Post
That is an XC60. It is the smaller SUV.
There is a BRAND new, gorgeous XC90 that won;t be delivered until the fall...the first edition sold out. I have an XC70...and a story to tell y'all about my trip to my dealer today....
Tell tell!!

I though the XC90 had been made available in Europe earlier this year? No?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #54

Well, as everyone hereabouts knows, the other two people I always suggest to check with before towing over manufactures limits are your insurance agent and your attorney, as you may be opening a huge liability door.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #55

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Hey guys...we're talking about my Volvo here... OUt of my cold dead hands!!! I'm not giving up yet!
You tell 'em, girl!

If you can manage w/o a bath, many 13'rs will fit your needs. My LilBigfoot weighed 1300 as we towed it home, and the tongue weight was around 130 lbs.

And yes, I did shop for a trailer to go with my car. We Volvo girls are just like that.

LP
Old 07-27-2015, 10:47 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
And no they didn't know why that 165lbs was on the books. We're going to call Volvo.
Good luck with that. Took me six years to get an explanation from Toyota as to why they "do not recommend a WDH".
The explanation basically was that they don't have a relationship with a WDH manufacturer and don't test them so they can't recommend one. Not the same as saying DO NOT use a WDH.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #57

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
I went in to schedule my tow package and, of course, asked the burning questions. The Service Manager came over and joined in. He has horses and does A LOT of towing. (not with a VOlvo) He told me to get a WDH and I can tow up to 3500.... but wouldn't sign that.... (--as Bob predicted--). He said I would be fine and that my car was a sturdy strong workhorse. And no they didn't know why that 165lbs was on the books. We're going to call Volvo.
I'm to the point of being so saturated with info that I can't quite remember the answers to all of my questions. But I DO think I remember reading that the Volvos should NOT have a WDH! We did have a discussion here about this, but I haven't figured out how to go back and find it. At any rate, I'm kind of surprised the Service Manager would recommend this, but not surprised he wouldn't "sign that"!

LP
Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You need to look at YOUR instruction manual for YOUR Volvo.
On this, and other sites, people interpret what they read and then post.
So, "is not recommended" becomes "must not do".
People interpreted Toyota's "do not recommend" to mean "do not use" and then posted that as gospel. You need to go to your manual and then get the service manager to explain it.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:51 AM   #59
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
So basically your friends at Can-Am would be not doing any custom hitch work if they were in Europe
We can be thankful we live in countries that.....

have Dollars, not Euro's,

the freedom to have professionals make mods and safety improvements to our TV's,

the right to buy a WDH

and to have the price of gasoline low enough we can all afford to take a trailer towing vacation without braking the bank.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:00 AM   #60
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
And no they didn't know why that 165lbs was on the books. We're going to call Volvo.
It's the same old story. Where Volvo's are made they don't use or don't know anything about the WDH's. It is a North American thing.

The best explanation I know about was an article written in RV Lifestyle mag awhile ago. Here........... Can-Am RV :: HH-43-1