TAB and TADA no longer in production - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Heard a rumor on one of the other fiberglass forums and tried to check it out. The best I've been able to come up with is some of the chatter here: TAB teardrop trailer review with forum - Roaming Times. I'm only posting this because occasionally we get new members looking for information about these trailers.... and we of course point out all the reasons to buy a much superior MOLDED fiberglass trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Hi Donna,

Knaus Tabbert, the company manufacturing the T[at]B and T[at]DA just stopped production for a short time, after going bankrupt in October 2008. In March 2009 they started it up again, because the company got rescued/bought by a Dutch company. I looked through German news and found this.

I am one of those who got very quick converted to fiberglass....

Gerda
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
What is surprising to me is that they managed to stick around even this long. I once looked at a TAB, prior to buying my Casita, more out of curiosity than actual interest, since I am 6'2" and getting too far along to enjoy having to act like "Quasimodo" while being inside anything. What really threw me for a loop was the rather exorbitant price they were asking for it. It seemed like a pretty "bare-bones" trailer with what I would call extremely limited utility and convenience. (I know there are probably some poor misguided souls out there who may like, or even own, one of these things, so let me say I am not trying to insult anyone for their choice...if you like it, more power to you.) But by all accounts, it surely didn't impress me one iota. I, for one, am very happy with my glass egg and have no regrets in buying it. With what they offer, versus the market competition, I find it hard to believe they could maintain any degree of competitiveness at all in the small trailer market. I guess time will tell if they can pull out of their tailspin. If there would be a "saving grace" to their resurrection, it would probably be in the fact that the industry as a whole is "downsizing" most of their product lines to meet consumer demand for more economical RV's. I just think that maybe we are all just slightly ahead of our time.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Ya - I too (6'1") took a gander out of curiosity. "Cute", but... not for me.

But then I **ALREADY** had my heart set on a new Scamp 5er. So it would have had to REALLY REALLY be impressive to change my opinion. But I looked anyway.

Quote:
What is surprising to me is that they managed to stick around even this long. I once looked at a TAB, prior to buying my Casita, more out of curiosity than actual interest, since I am 6'2" and getting too far along to enjoy having to act like "Quasimodo" while being inside anything. What really threw me for a loop was the rather exorbitant price they were asking for it. It seemed like a pretty "bare-bones" trailer with what I would call extremely limited utility and convenience. (I know there are probably some poor misguided souls out there who may like, or even own, one of these things, so let me say I am not trying to insult anyone for their choice...if you like it, more power to you.) But by all accounts, it surely didn't impress me one iota. I, for one, am very happy with my glass egg and have no regrets in buying it. With what they offer, versus the market competition, I find it hard to believe they could maintain any degree of competitiveness at all in the small trailer market. I guess time will tell if they can pull out of their tailspin. If there would be a "saving grace" to their resurrection, it would probably be in the fact that the industry as a whole is "downsizing" most of their product lines to meet consumer demand for more economical RV's. I just think that maybe we are all just slightly ahead of our time.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Question

I agree with you about the T[at]B. I looked at it because I really liked the looks of it's exterior. And I was very very much taken back at what I saw (quality, amenities, ....). Pictures just don't tell the full story! The T[at]DA is by the way similar... I am surprised people spend that much money on them...
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
Ya - I too (6'1") took a gander out of curiosity. "Cute", but... not for me.

But then I **ALREADY** had my heart set on a new Scamp 5er. So it would have had to REALLY REALLY be impressive to change my opinion. But I looked anyway.

Yes A Scamp 5er is the way to go BUT since I don't have a Pickup ( when my Astro dies at 300k mI plan to get a Toyota ,if I live that long) My 17' Burro fits the bill just right.
No bathroom, but hey less stuff to hassle with. Got a porta potti for nighttime so I don't have to get up and walk with the wife to the john. What more do you need?

I am totally sold on Fiberglass, started with a 13' Burro that I loved and moved to 17' for semi or maybe full time.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote