Tailgating - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Would you say that those who focus so much attention on what's behind them are anal?
Old 09-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #22

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Tailgaters often learn their lesson when the car in front changes lanes or swerves to miss something they see in the road ahead, but by then the tailgater doesn't have time to react and hits whatever it is. Also, lots of deer and "at large" dogs down here decide to cross the road at an unfortunate time. The lead vehicle brakes to avoid, the tailgater rear-ends them. The tailgater is at fault for not keeping a safe distance. And it's pretty ugly what a box hitch bolted to the rear frame of a heavy-duty, high-stance 3/4 ton pickup can do to the grill and hood of a low-profile sports car. I've been rear-ended twice in my Ford F250, both times by teen-aged girls talking on their cell phones. Light turns red, I stop, they don't. One wasn't even tailgating - had plenty of time and distance to stop and just didn't! Luckily, no one hurt either time. But the vehicle doing the rear-ending in that match-up definitely gets the worst end of it.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #23

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I use a dash cam one lens is pointed in the front the other facing the back. I also have one mounted in the back window of the trailer people see that and tend to back off as it can be used in court if you file a complaint with the police they will be charged.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: "Tailgaters often learn their lesson when the car in front changes lanes or swerves to miss something they see in the road ahead, but by then the tailgater doesn't have time to react and hits whatever it is."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, and that's the very reason I am concerned about those following me to closely. Those kinds of sudden accidents have lead to collateral damage involving vehicles 2-3 car further behind, as well as those in oncoming traffic.

Who knows, that very scenario may have been a component of the FedEx/Bus crash several months back in CA....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #25

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
If I can slow down and move over slightly, the tailgater usually zooms by and then I can continue on without having to see them in my rear view mirror. Makes them happier, and me as well.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #26

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
When pulling the Scamp I always pull over to allow others to pass. I have trouble seeing them if they are centered and close to me, so I will do a gentle ess turn to get a look through the mirrors.
When not towing I tend to be out in the passing lane passing slower cars, unless the traffic is moving faster than I want to go, then I move to a slower lane. Driving in the fast lane always draws tailgaters. They will pull up behind a column of cars going 72mph and follow 5 feet behind the last car, even if the column is passing slower traffic. I just reach up and turn my rear view mirror 45 degrees and they are gone. After passing the slower traffic I move over to lane 2 and let them tailgate the next guy.

I saw a bumper sticker that read "The closer you are, the slower I go".

Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
If I can slow down and move over slightly, the tailgater usually zooms by and then I can continue on without having to see them in my rear view mirror. Makes them happier, and me as well.
Absolutely the best option, and one everyone should employ. I don't ever tailgate, but do get frustrated by slow drivers that do not do this. I have also been the slower guy, and have slowed, or pulled over to allow them to pass. Everyone wins!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
thats my approach to tailgaters as well. If I am towing and there is not much of a shoulder to pull right over on I wait until I see an opportunity for the party to pass me and slow right down while pull over to the side as far as I can so they can see its clear to pass me. Sometimes they don't pass the first time I pull over but normally they will the second time.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #29

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
On roads with permanent passing lanes (minimum 4 lane roads (2 each way)) I often keep right and travel at less than the speed limit. Where the limit is 75 MPH I'll seldom exceed 65. When I drove a 4-Runner I'd get frequent tailgaters and those who could figure out how to use the passing lane would often shake their fingers at me. Since I got a 3/4 ton pickup truck the knucklehead population _seems_ to have significantly diminished. I believe I drive the same now as before.

This may be anecdotal evidence of people treating others differently based merely on appearance but I believe it is valid. The explanation is left to the student!
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This is why you need a bumper sticker that says "Back off or I'll flush!".

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote