Temps- Where do you draw the line? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2022, 05:51 AM   #1

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Temps- Where do you draw the line?

Record heat here in the Southeast. We camped at a state park a couple of hours away last week, fished on a nearby river. It was comfortable enough standing in the cold water but too hot/humid to sit outside while back in camp. Thankfully the A/C works well but sitting around inside gets old, even with a good book. I'm thinking over 90 degrees will keep me at home. Going to be a long hot summer.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:52 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I always looked at camping as a way to get "out" of the house, not to sit inside a camper all day.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:06 AM   #3

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
We use the Scamp as a "carry-all" and we sleep in a tent, AND we don't have AC, so anything above 90 at night is pretty unpleasant.

Below 90 at night is plenty pleasant (unless its raining. that makes it all bad.)

Now I'm not sure about everything being all on fire out west. That's going to keep me from camping out there.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I don’t mind setting out in the shade of the awning or a tree even when it’s in the 99’s. Using a fan as was recently discussed 12 volt or 110 to move some air really helps in my opinion. I’m usually outside from first thing in the morning till we’ll after dark. This includes a nap in my chair where I’m pretty much comatose, eating meals, even when they are prepped inside of the camper and conversing with other campers.

If someone suggests a road trip to a nearby ice cream stand, brew pub, or butcher shop, I’m in.

I do not do well with bugs, neighbors with stinky campfires, lightning, incessant barking dogs and a few other irritations but heat or cold aren’t a big negative for me.

I’m camping to experience the sensory aspect of being outside and if sweating or several layers of clothing are part of it, so be it.
Hope your camping this year is enjoyable wherever you roam.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:39 AM   #5

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I do not do well with bugs,
Iowa Dave
I'm with you here man.

First thing I do is hose myself down with mosquito and tick repellent. I may not live long, but I won't get bitten and stay up all night scratching.

I wish there was something I could do for the dog (Who only barks when Dave's nearby!) Sometimes I put some repellent on my hands and just touch his fur a little where he can't lick. Otherwise he chomps at the bugs all the time and it drives him nuts.

Oh, I do hate fellow campers who smoke cigars. Blech! But hey, if they can stand Mojo Nixon music then we'll have a standoff to see who lasts longer. (Not really. I realize everyone loves Mojo Nixon.) (And honestly, we never play music at camp. I also think that's a bit obnoxious. Hey look, Dave's got me turned into an old man!)
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:23 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m with you on the general principle, but it’s hard to put a number on it. Comfort depends on more than just temperature. Humidity, bugs, shade, breezes, planned activities, as well as nighttime sleeping conditions all make a difference.

But yes, if you can’t enjoy being outside, and you’re completely dependent on mechanical climate control, you might as well stay home. We plan our travel around expected weather, and if we encounter an unseasonable surprise, we’ve been known to modify our plans or cancel altogether.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #7

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
If the 90s are all we got, we'll use it, but we'll go north if it's an option.
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:26 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
It is 73 here today. Any hotter and I'll move into the shade.
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:18 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hot, Hot, Hot

95 degrees in East Central Iowa today which is hot for June for sure. I watered the plants early this AM but the evapotranspiration will be good for about .25 inches today so I’ll probably water late this afternoon too. Especially if the clouds don’t come in and the wind (20 mph out of the south) does not go down.

When traveling and camping, I watch the weather radar pretty close. I’m most concerned about high winds and and large hail. Either camped or driving.
Always take time to assess the condition of the trees where you’re camped. One like this will ruin your day or worse.

Hollow oak very near the CG at Sullivan Illinois 4Bs rally this year. Looked ok till it wasn’t. Beer box for reference, never touch the stuff. I lie too.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
C0D08DFF-4B00-4ED8-AFB0-3B198389C0FB.jpg   AA0E3AA0-C9B9-4DDB-9413-267B0AA725AC.jpg  

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:11 PM   #10

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Was comfortable standing in the water....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220606_170703467_BURST002.jpg  
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Just home from my daily bike ride.
It was 105°F on the blacktop with an ambient temp of 98°.
Humidity was a bit less than yesterday though.
While this is a few degrees above Ideal it is one heck of a lot better than the COLD we have tolerated all Spring.
Hot weather is great for bicycling, not so great for working, so its a great excuse for procrastination!
I welcome summer, and hope that it is tolerably warm when we go to the Scamp Homecoming next month.
For camping.... 80°F by day and 65°F at night with a light breeze and plenty of shade is PERFECT.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always looked at camping as a way to get "out" of the house, not to sit inside a camper all day.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Lends a new meaning to "Hot to trot". Eh?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie.
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #13

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I'm with you here man.

First thing I do is hose myself down with mosquito and tick repellent. I may not live long, but I won't get bitten and stay up all night scratching.

I wish there was something I could do for the dog (Who only barks when Dave's nearby!) Sometimes I put some repellent on my hands and just touch his fur a little where he can't lick. Otherwise he chomps at the bugs all the time and it drives him nuts.

Oh, I do hate fellow campers who smoke cigars. Blech! But hey, if they can stand Mojo Nixon music then we'll have a standoff to see who lasts longer. (Not really. I realize everyone loves Mojo Nixon.) (And honestly, we never play music at camp. I also think that's a bit obnoxious. Hey look, Dave's got me turned into an old man!)
There are natural things you can use for a pet for bug repellent. Just google it. Talk to your vet also. If pets get bit by a mosquito it can lead to some serious issues. We've been reading on that since we just got a cat recently. We have to keep our fur babies safe and healthy also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:55 AM   #14

Name: Melissa
Trailer: In the market
TN
Heat and humidity in TN

Heat here in Tennessee with humidity was a killer this week. We're going to double check our Scamp for the ac kept freezing up. We only ran air at late afternoon to cool off for sleeping. We think the air cooling in the valley late at night was why it froze on us....we hope!

Humid heat is not my friend...and not all areas have trees or the info fails to mention it's afternoon sun on " partial"sun, etc
Obviously, it didn't stop us but drenched from walking a short distance was not my most fun. Luckily, the nice swamp walk, and being with friends made it loads of fun.

All perspective, of course.
I've camped in all kinds and don't plan on changing...like you folk, well avoid dangerous inclement weather/ wind but keep on camping 😉
Melissa T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #15

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Tempature

For the high today it will be 60 with clouds. Looking for a little more sun for the tomatoes and camping at the beach.
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I realize everyone loves Mojo Nixon.

Dan Hicks is more my style...
Old 06-18-2022, 12:51 PM   #17

TN
I agree...����but if I avoid camping because of heat in south, I am **** down for much of the year.! In the old days as a school teacher, we'd leave in mid July for cooler spots and return right before began. Now, they bump this date up so, it's a challenge...! Around here, school starts beginning of August. I definitely prefer it cooler! One year I was in northern New Mexico during first week of August...on a sweatshirt over a t shirt and shorts all week...it was soooo wonderful.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
For those of you who don't believe in A/C and travel into Florida here in north Florida we have 100*F and a nice humidity to go with it as well.
Personally I draw that line right around here.
IF it ain't fun, I ain't going!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #19

TN
Heat and humidity again

When I was first deciding about what options.a.c was not an option If I was reading several suggesting no a.c. Of course, these folks obviously didn't camp in humid south! Several
93° humid nights tent camping made me have plan B! We first had a Runaway but now we have a Fiberglass. We still tent camping when pretty or a necessity!!
Old 06-18-2022, 02:01 PM   #20

TN
Heat and humidity again

When I was first deciding about what options.a.c was not an option If I was reading several suggesting no a.c. Of course, these folks obviously didn't camp in humid south! Several
93° humid nights tent camping made me have plan B! We first had a Runaway but now we have a Fiberglass. We still tent camping when pretty or a neci would consider NOT getting!!essity!!