Tent after Bear Encounter in Alaska - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Our son and family are out dispersed camping down by Denali near Healy in their 5th wheel. But nearby he saw where a Cinnamon black bear had torn a tent and everything inside to screeds. Then went over to a nearby SUV and scratched itself. The lady who was in the SUV said the SUV was rocking like crazy. I assume it was this morning when it happened. The people drove to where fire crews are fighting a forest fire to report it.

It is really nice to have hard sides on our eggs. However, if a bear wants to come in, they will come in, but it will take them a little longer to do so than in a tent. Therefore, it is nice to have our fiberglass bubble, but then there are the nice windows. Oh, boy.

Be careful out there folks!
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Quote:
Our son and family are out dispersed camping down by Denali near Healy in their 5th wheel. But nearby he saw where a Cinnamon black bear had torn a tent and everything inside to screeds. Then went over to a nearby SUV and scratched itself. The lady who was in the SUV said the SUV was rocking like crazy. I assume it was this morning when it happened. The people drove to where fire crews are fighting a forest fire to report it.

It is really nice to have hard sides on our eggs. However, if a bear wants to come in, they will come in, but it will take them a little longer to do so than in a tent. Therefore, it is nice to have our fiberglass bubble, but then there are the nice windows. Oh, boy.

Be careful out there folks!
When I was young and foolish, I hiked unarmed in bear country. These days, I'm all about packing a can of bear spray. It's cheap, and I'm told, effective. REI.com is a good place to find it.

Davie
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Cabela's has several different sizes of Bear pepper spray developed by a vet that actually got mauled by a bear while hiking. We carry the large size that fits on a belt or across the chest area and is quick to get at.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We normally carry bear spray, and also have heard of its great effectiveness. If we ever need it, hope it works.

We were warned last summer that it was illegal to carry pepper spray or bear spray into Canada, so left it with relatives. We were, indeed, asked at the border if we had any sprays, and warned that they were illlegal to bring in. Glad we left them at home. If traveling thru Canada from the lower 48 to Alaska, you may have to plan on picking up a new supply in Alaska on arrival.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think if I am close enough to a bear to use bear spray, I am in big trouble.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

I would spray them with .44 mag bear spray.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Sherry and others, bear spray is widely available in Canada in large non concealable cans for protection while hunting/hiking. Most outdoor stores sell it. Pepper spray in small concealable sizes requires a permit that an ordinary citizen cannot acquire. It would be really, really wise for anyone using either to have some basic orientation on dispensing it properly and effectively before relying on it to save you from danger.

Ches is bang on!
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I wonder if bear spray is on the shelves more to catch the camper than the bear. Like all those shiney fishing lures all packaged up to catch you the fisherman in the store as opposed to the fish.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Mike T.,
I'd absolutely agree with you on the importance of training to use pepper spray and/or bear spray... and, I am trained. Otherwise, you can do yourself more harm than what (or whom) you're trying to repel.

We were specifically asked at the border if we had bear spray or pepper spray. Reading the regs ahead of time, and not wanting to throw out (or have confiscated) a $50 canister, I had left ours at home, and I'd advise the same to anyone else crossing the border (either way). (44 magnum spray isn't allowed for the typical tourist crossing the border, either.)

Last summer, as we stayed in provincial parks and not backwoods, I never bothered to check in the outdoor stores in Canada for a replacement. It's nice to know it's legal to carry the heavy, large bear spray canisters, if locally purchased, for next time. Thanks for the info.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote