Tesla towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2020, 12:32 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Tesla towing

Fellow news photographer posted this on FB.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 10.29.45 PM.jpg  
Old 11-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
A friend wanted to borrow my Campster and pull it across Steven's Pass, WA with his Tesla. I guess he could have done it, but our camper is not available for loan.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Cyber truck

I have been following these with the thought of towing and so far I just don't think it will work with the larger trailers. A Cyber truck with a 500 mile range would probably be down to 200 miles when towing.

Charging every 200 miles might not be so bad but you will probably have to unhitch the trailer every time you want to charge. That is a non starter.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Google just told me:
Depending on your model of Tesla and the type of charger you are using, charging a Tesla can take anywhere between six and twelve hours. The quickest charging time occurs within the battery's sweet spot, which is usually between 20% and 80% of a full charge.Nov 11, 2019

Anybody seen a campground with a Tesla charger? Are there any on BLM land?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:54 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
A friend wanted to borrow my Campster and pull it across Steven's Pass, WA with his Tesla. I guess he could have done it, but our camper is not available for loan.
I think that the people who owned Go Go Campers in Seattle still have a Campster for sale.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I don't stay in high end RV parks so I have never seen any electric car charger at a campground.

But I have seen that Tesla is going to sell the used batteries in a configuration so that they can be used for house batteries in a travel trailer.

Volvo has an electric car they sell in Europe and they are getting ready to sell those used EV batteries for the same thing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Google just told me:
Depending on your model of Tesla and the type of charger you are using, charging a Tesla can take anywhere between six and twelve hours. The quickest charging time occurs within the battery's sweet spot, which is usually between 20% and 80% of a full charge.Nov 11, 2019
Unless you use one of the public fast chargers that can get you to 80% in 30 minutes.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Bougie
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Charge at campground

This is something I didn't think of. Tesla has a portable charger that has the same connector as a 50 amp RV plug. So you could pull into a RV park, plug in and charge it up.
Attached Thumbnails
1106293-00-A_0.jpg  
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #10

Why not have a generator in the camper that you can take out every 100 miles and charge that green car.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Just run the generator while you are towing! Maybe teslas can't do that.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Just run the generator while you are towing! Maybe teslas can't do that.
Carl, You are a genius. i dont know why I did not think about that.

The other day there was a picture of one being charged at a charging station that was connected to a big diesel generator.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #13

And then there's the southeast US and Alberta, where coal-fired power plants provide the electricity for "0 emission" cars.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And then there's the southeast US and Alberta, where coal-fired power plants provide the electricity for "0 emission" cars.
And they preach how green they are.
Here, they are starting to tax them because they do not pay taxes at the pump.
Remember the big Biodiesel where do it yourselfers were making their own, well the tax people showed up and some of these guys have abandoned making their own.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:20 PM   #15

Syracuse, NY
Actually, they are much cleaner. Electricity also comes from sources other than coal, such as hydro(every Canadian knows this), solar, wind, tidal, natural gas, fission, fusion some day. It is much easier to scrub the combustions products in a large plant than it is in a car. Tesla drive trains are nothing like ICE power vehicles, they are all electronics. Same kind of stuff we built into our UPS modules. As for manufacturing ungreenness, one can consider Tesla a wash compared to ICE power vehicles. When vehicle prices are comparable, battery charging takes about the same time as filling up with gas and you can drive 3-4 hundred miles or more, ICE technology will disappear in most vehicles. It might take 10-15 years, but it will happen. Remember we are innovators and all you have to say is "it can't be done", and some engineers and scientists will make it happen!
Old 11-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #16

I'm not against them; I'm just against using the expression "0-emission" to describe them.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Puts on flame retardant cover all’s.....

Actually, Alberta coal is some of the cleanest coal you will find. It’s very low Sulphur. When I worked for Trans-Alta, back when they made power, I was told that even if they didn't treat the exhaust, (which they do) the plant would have lower emissions kw for kw than treated exhaust in Ontario. That combined with the relatively high alkalinity of the soil in Alberta made coal a fairly benign power source. I mean other than all that CO2, which natural gas makes as well, just 50% less. The NOx is still there as well.

There really are only three sources for electric power:
1) Burning hydrocarbons, primarily coal and natural gas.
2) Nuclear fission. So many problems, not the least of which is cost.
3) Renewables, solar, wind, hydroelectric.....

Each of the renewable options has issues like capacity or availability but my favorite is hydroelectric. Hydroelectric dams are not nearly as clean as you may think. I mean look at the amount of land that is destroyed, (submerged). Also flooding land creates a methyl mercury problem. In terms of ecological impact, it is hard to beat a dam. They are also not risk free. Better in places that do proper maintenance, but that is not everywhere:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 6.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	138372

It should be noted that the batteries in electric cars are comprised of highly toxic chemicals and they need to be replaced at least once in the vehicles life, assuming a short life. In the event of a collision, how bright does all that lithium burn? If everyone switched to electric cars, then we would need an additional ~25% capacity added to our power generation, and distribution. Where will that come from? Let’s all hope that fusion is both possible, (someday) and as clean as they hope. GO TOKAMAK!!!!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:56 AM   #18

Syracuse, NY
It's actually "0 tail pipe emissions" but a lot of sources incorrectly call it "0-emissions"
Old 11-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
There are so many advantages to electric cars because they have less parts. Wouldn't it be nice to get rid of emissions tests, oil changes, transmission fluid, air filters, and most of the other maintenance requirements that are listed in the manuals? Maintenance per mile for Tesla is
approximately 50% of internal combustion. And electrics are getting better every day. Tesla now is going to batteries which they claim will be good for a million miles or more. There's only been a decade of serious electric car development versus over a hundred for diesels and gasoline. I sure wouldn't want to buy much stock in oil companies right now.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #20

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
There's only been a decade of serious electric car development versus over a hundred for diesels and gasoline. I sure wouldn't want to buy much stock in oil companies right now.
Not to mention a lot of brilliant minds working on Battery technology that won't require toxic heavy metals. The clincher is Saudi Arabia, the second largest oil producer in the world after the US, is investing heavily in renewables and wants to become a major exporter of clean power in the future.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote