Testing the Waters for Selling a Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Testing the Waters for Selling a Trailer

Hello,
I am the proud owner of a BIOD Estase, 1975 from Holland. I have had many people express interest in my trailer which I think will never leave my sight!

Through my interactions with BIOD owners, I've come across another BIOD that I have a chance to bring to North America. I would bring it to sell. But because they're so unusual, it's hard to ascribe a value to them. This is where i am hoping you will help.

Looking at this, do you think there would be a buyer if I brought this over? I would have to get in the vicinity of $15,000 CAD to make it work. I know that's at the higher end for an FG trailer but it has some special features. For one thing, it's very light, at just over 1600 lbs. dry weight. Length is approximately 17 feet from tongue to rear.

The frame is galvanized steel so there's no rust. It has a surge break mechanism so it does not need electric brakes. The tongue with surge break mechanism pictured is not this one, but is similar design.

Cushions are reupholstered, has fridge and stove. I would convert them to North American standards and replace 240V electrical with 110.

Would this be something you or someone you know might be interested in, or would the cost be prohibitive in that range?

Picture Album: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Mu?usp=sharing
Attached Thumbnails
front wide.JPG   back dining.JPG  

kitchen.JPG   ws with awning.JPG  

trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Deja Vu...didn't we see this exact question fairly recently?

I think those are really nice trailers and I would love to have them as another option on the market. I think the right person would pay $15 CAN for it, but what do I know? It's on the steep side, but in pristine condition, I don't see why it wouldn't sell.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I prefer the quirky ones that look like Marvin Martian. This one looks a bit normal.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
so, is that a propane stove+fridge, or is it all electric? no water or sink or holding tanks?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
The value is only if someone else wants an older model trailer from some other land and is willing to be prepared for anything that can arise from owing a vintage travel trailer. For myself it has very little valve, but I'm sure for those who are in this type market the value will go up as it should. $15,000 is not much these days for vintage stuff, if that's your thing, but why would you want to test the market when you said, you probably wouldn't sell.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
... but why would you want to test the market when you said, you probably wouldn't sell.

trainman
The way I read it is that he owns one and will keep it, and is considering importing a SECOND one for resale.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #7

Montana
Right.

I don't know if Don is the same one who posted about this a few months ago (maybe as long as a year?) or not, but the last time there was more info. From what I remember, these trailers are built much better than most of what you can find in the States, so they're worth a premium. The last time this was posted, it seemed like there was a potential for this sort of thing happening every now and then, maybe not a one time deal.

Anyway it looks like a cool trailer.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #8

Montana
Here's the other post.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Here's the other post.

In this particular one, I like that sink/stove combination unit. It seems to have two sinks, but there is no picture that shows a shower or toilet.
Anyone know what the winch is for on the tongue?
Old 02-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #10

Montana
I like the style of the double front windows, too, though the one big window is probably better for views.

Good eye! No idea...not knowing how things work over in Holland, I guess we can only make assumptions. Maybe the previous owner had some special use...Like loading the whole thing on a trailer or something. Often enough that it made sense to have a winch...I don't know. Grasping.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliumdon View Post
Hello,
I am the proud owner of a BIOD Estase, 1975 from Holland. I have had many people express interest in my trailer which I think will never leave my sight!

Through my interactions with BIOD owners, I've come across another BIOD that I have a chance to bring to North America. I would bring it to sell. But because they're so unusual, it's hard to ascribe a value to them. This is where i am hoping you will help.

Looking at this, do you think there would be a buyer if I brought this over? I would have to get in the vicinity of $15,000 CAD to make it work. I know that's at the higher end for an FG trailer but it has some special features. For one thing, it's very light, at just over 1600 lbs. dry weight. Length is approximately 17 feet from tongue to rear.

The frame is galvanized steel so there's no rust. It has a surge break mechanism so it does not need electric brakes. The tongue with surge break mechanism pictured is not this one, but is similar design.

Cushions are reupholstered, has fridge and stove. I would convert them to North American standards and replace 240V electrical with 110.

Would this be something you or someone you know might be interested in, or would the cost be prohibitive in that range?

Picture Album: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Mu?usp=sharing

If you are collecting opinions, I think you will be lucky to come close to that price but Only if it has a full bath. Wet is acceptable, but without the shower and holding tanks as someone mentioned, it just ain't gonna happen! I'm changing my 'caravan' from a 'portable' toilet that is so popular in European countries to a full system with holding tank. A water heater is also a necessity. Not everyone hops from campground to campground ! Just sayin'
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #12

Montana
I agree, but plenty of people love a 13' Scamp with no bathroom. It depends on how you plan to use the trailer. But paying a premium for a trailer missing a lot of the systems a lot of people want will limit the market.

Only have to find one person though...

Plenty of people use their trailer as a bedroom, and a place to get out of the elements if they turn nasty. No grey water tank or no bathroom are definitely not deal breakers for some.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #13

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I prefer the quirky ones that look like Marvin Martian. This one looks a bit normal.

Here's what "Marvin" would say!!!
Attached Images

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
Give careful consideration to the relative ease or difficulty of converting the 240v tp 110v. I’m almost all cases, the in place 240v wiring is too light of a gauge to safely handle the 110v current. If you have to rip out the existing wiring and replace it, how accessible is that wiring in the trailer?

I’m one of the people that have admired the quality of some of the lightweight trailers I have seen in Europe and have wondered about the feasibility of bringing one over.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #15

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Hi Pedalmike,

I converted my 1975 Extase. In the end, as you said I didn't use their 240 wiging but put in a charger/distro box for 110/12V. My only 110 is 2 plugs where I can plug in a heater or toaster etc. if needed. Fridge is 110/12V. All lighting fans, phone chargers and the like are 12V, which I wired from scratch.

The Euro trailers are, for my money, far superior to most of our North American offerings. I have an opportunity to bring a few over, hence the testing of the waters to see if people look and say Ya!, meh, or no way.

I think I'm going to try, but it's going to be a lot of heavy lifting to get them door to door.

BTW, can I assume by your handle that you're a cyclist? We always carry bikes with us when we travel, most recently BikeFriday folding bikes that tuck into the back of our SUV very nicely.
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
Thanks trilliumdon. Yes, I'm a cyclist. Funny you mention Bike Friday. I owned Bike Friday Pocket Rocket #814 for 25 years and just sold it last month.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote