The Alto - a new trailer made in Quebec - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Seen at the Toronto RV show tonight.

Granted it is not molded fiberglass. the outer shell is an aluminium composite sandwich, but it sounded like there was some fiberglass in the composite. And the designers daughter said her dad did like Bolers, so I thought I'd give them a plug. Not to mention it did look neat and feel very roomy and airy inside. The prototype was at the show.

It is called the ALTO and looks like this down for towing.

Name:   alto2.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  6.9 KB

It comes in 2 colours, yellow as above and in silver that can be seen in the pictures CAB in TO took on her cell phone and posted here.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have seen this before on this site. It has some nice modern featuries. It could be a good alturnative for some folks. Me i like the idea of not having to fold anything up.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
We saw this unit at the Toronto show yesterday, It has been very well thought out for a foldable unit and the quality of the build seems to be top notch. The insulated honeycomb sandwich panels are very well made and should stand up very well for a long time. This unit will also fit into just about any garage for those who have parking/storage issues.

This unit might make people think twice about a T@b or the T@DA.

I go along with Ches on having a preference for not folding up anything, but this one has to be the easiest fold up(actually "Drop roof") that I have ever seen. Just tip in the rear wall and drop the roof. This unit can be used in a Wal-mart or truck stop scenario without opening it up, although it would be a little cramped in that situation. One of the nicest layout features is that it has a full King size bed that can be left made up and still has a small dinette at the front.

The owners are having a Euro style add a room tent/canopy designed for it, which they expect to have available by summer. They have been working on the design of this unit, and it's unique sandwich panels for about 4 years now.

The "facilities" consist of a toilet "cabinet" with no shower, but for many people this is all they want when they are looking to move from a trailer that doesn't have any facilities at all.

I am a committed molded fiberglass fan, but this trailer could make a convert of me as it probably has less wood or rottable materials in it than my Casita does!
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I have seen this before on this site. It has some nice modern featuries. I could be a good alturnative for some folks. Me i like the idea of not having to fold anything up.
I didn't know it was posted before. I didn't see any folding involved, just 2 electical switches, one at the back to drop the bench seat and one at the door to close it all up.

Believe it or not, the Ontario dealer is EARLTON camping.
Now where have we heard Earlton mentioned before

BTW Charlie,
I can stand straight up in it while the roof is closed
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Hmm, I like the looks of the Alto (because it would fit in my 7' 0" garage)!

BTW, Alto's site's options details is the way I wish more manf's would display theirs, esp Scamp and Casita. They give you the actual weight of the basic trailer and then the actual weight of the options so you can figure out what the thing really will weigh before you've even seen it.

I like the layout; there are plenty of choices about sleeping and table without changing things around to take a nap. Looks like excellent use of storage space.

I notice they are using compressor-based refrigeration (12VDC), which likely will make a second battery a necessity.

They didn't give a tongue weight, so I would presume it to be 10-12% of the total weight (and increase the cargo/options load somewhat, because that seems to be the GVWR - Base Weight; but the GVWR is usually established by the axle capacity, not the part of the load on the tow vehicle.

I sure wouldn't be towing one with a short wheel-base vehicle like the one pictured, however

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #6

Previous disscussion on this unit.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...422&hl=alto
Old 01-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Nice photos! A toilet in the closet is a clever idea, in a "honey would you step out" kind of way.

The slide-out drawers are certainly a good idea, as is, most people have to end up building shelves, but then have more flexibility if you want a huge open area. Six of one ...

No A/C. No wonder it's built in Canada! OOPS, just saw the floor heat pump - all right!

How much is $20K C in $ these days?
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Very little difference between USD and Can .A couple of cents.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Nice photos! A toilet in the closet is a clever idea, in a "honey would you step out" kind of way.

The slide-out drawers are certainly a good idea, as is, most people have to end up building shelves, but then have more flexibility if you want a huge open area. Six of one ...

No A/C. No wonder it's built in Canada! OOPS, just saw the floor heat pump - all right!

One more time ---- plenty of Canada gets up over 90 degrees F in the summer.

But more importantly, $20,000 C is $19,496.98 as of 2pm today.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
That's absolutely beautiful. Parked in the right scenic location, it would be spectacular. I'm not in the market for a new trailer now, especially at brand new prices. But if I was, I'd check one of these out even if I had to drive to Canada to do it.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
One more time ---- plenty of Canada gets up over 90 degrees F in the summer.
We call that a cooling trend.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Heat pump works as AC, anyway.

I think it is elegant, and I love the idea of a big trailer fitting in the garage. A bit over my weight and budget, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Looks like a great unit for towing. Tow vehicle should get good gas mileage. Couple of features though which I question - Looks like clothing in the closet will absorb chemical odors from the toilet. Also, are those screens which seperate the roof from the lower wall portion? Looks like rain can easily get into the inside. Or is there a zip up feature? Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
The panels between the lower wall and the roof section are tempered safety glass fitted in a frame that is a structural part of the roof. There is a drain tray built into that section so that any rain that runs off the glass travels along the drain tray and out either end. The seal between the roof and the lower wall section is a very sturdy automotive type bulb seal which appears to be easily replaceable if it should ever get damaged.

I think the toilet smells will be no different than any properly sealing RV toilet. I believe this is a casette type toilet similar to that used in the T@DA. Any chemicals are in the waste tank and the unit is flushed with fresh water.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
More on the Alto...

"First of all I would like to thank you for the interest you have shown towards our products, more specifically towards our latest creation, the Alto. Due to the constant increase of gas prices and the social responsibility of each person to save on non-renewable fossil fuels we wanted to create an ultra light travel trailer with the lowest possible drag ratio. A trailer that met these two criterions could then be towed by a vehicle with a smaller engine. Furthermore, in keeping with our respectful approach to environmental issues, we wanted to choose construction materials that would not only be very light, but also recyclable as much as possible.

The Alto is therefore mostly built of aluminium and honeycomb material. The shape of the latter is mainly made out of recyclable plastic. The honeycomb shape adds rigidity to the structure while remaining extremely light. It also provides insulation because it creates a pocket of air between the exterior and interior walls. The aluminium is used to make the walls, cabinets, the entire chassis and frame, the propane tank and the wheels. We have opted for a "sandwich" construction, where we put our honeycomb material in between two sheets of aluminium.

Lightness was not enough to make the Alto as easy to tow as we wanted our travel trailer to be. Even with its unloaded weight of 1,360 lbs, it had to glide through the air like a plane’s wing to offer as little resistance as possible. Regardless, we still wanted it to offer a highly comfortable interior space. We therefore equipped the Alto with a mobile roof which gives a roomy 82" (2,08m) interior height when the top is opened. The tests that were done in a virtual wind tunnel revealed that when the roof is closed the Alto produces 75% less aerodynamic drag than a conventional 16’ travel trailer. Moreover, with its height (closed) of 83"(2,10m) it can be stored easily, as it can fit through a standard 7’ garage door. The roof is opened simply with the touch of a button thanks to two electric cylinders.

The development of the Alto began early in 2006 and the first units should be delivered in the spring of 2008. Road tests have been done over the summer and will continue until Christmas. You will be able to access all the latest news by visiting our website. The Alto that was presented at the Montréal RV Show at the Olympic Stadium on March 8th was a prototype. It is currently the only one of its kind. In the months to come we will refine our production methods, make final decisions on the materials and set up our assembly line. The Alto will be built in a new plant across the street from the one where we have been building our Safari Condo’s for almost 10 years now. During the course of the year we will also add other floor plans and choose the standard colors. This past year we have been taking advantage of the enormous public response to improve the product to make sure it better meets your needs and expectations. Between now and next spring a network of dealers should be setting up. In the first few years we will surely concentrate on the Canadian market, but Americans interested in our products should be able to import them fairly easily. The list of dealers will also be available on our website. For a few more months the only place where you will be able to see the Alto is at our plant in Beauce, Québec.

I am extremely proud to say that our Alto (my father’s creation) is a unique design which incorporates practicality, comfort and a fantastic look. It is made out of extremely high quality materials, which will ensure its durability and resale value. We have not cut corners anywhere on security either and offer electric breaks, radial tires and independent “Flexiride” suspension standard. All these equipments along with its low centre of gravity contribute to making it one of the most stable trailers on the market. I want to thank you for letting me know the interest it has generated in these different forums. It’s always great to get feedback on our products as we put our family’s heart and soul into them.

In answer to your question the price of a standard Alto is currently listed at 21,995$ CN. We now have a price list which includes the prices of all the options. I have attached it to my e-mail for you to consult. Please remember that because the Alto is a completely new product it is possible that some changes may be made to the prices in the coming months. On our website you will also find the list of all the available options as well as the weight that they add to the total weight of the standard travel trailer. Finally, right now we only have a basic promo brochure, which is only in French. The info in this brochure is the same as on the website. We will make a full English brochure once we have all our interior plans and we are ready for full production, at the beginning of 2008.

Thank you again for your e-mail. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me again. It will always be my pleasure to answer you.

Best regards,

Dominique Nadeau

Safari Condo

Bureau des Ventes Corporatif / Corporate Sales Office

(866) 836-6664

dominiquepn@bellnet.ca
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #16

Ron, how much are they asking for the heat pump option?