The Leocraft..is MINE .. wa ha ha! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #61

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Sorry, no before photo on this one. This is the weirdest vent I have ever seen. (Canadians LOL!)

Under the Max Air cover was MORE roofing tar. This is after the tar was removed and *probably* the original factory sealant. I am in RV Parts stores everyday as part of my job. I go to one of the largest Vintage parts recycling centers on the west coast twice or more a week.. I have not seen one of these ever...SO..

I will seal it up again with Eternabond, put another Maxx Air cover over it with Buytil under the flanges, and then use Eternabond OVER the flanges as well. It'll be a bugger to get off should I ever need to, but it beats trying to fit another vent. The lid on this thing is paper thin. It REALLY strange.

The tar actually took off some of the gel coat.
Attached Thumbnails
leocrafttroundvent.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #62

Registry
Just because it's expensive.. doesn't mean it's better. Here I am getting the guck off the living area vent surround. The industrial sized can of Goof Off cost 21 bucks.

The bottle of Cola from Big Lots cost 75 cents. Guess which solvent worked better at melting away and loosening the big blobs and piles of tar?

Yes.. the Coke. Pour it on, let it sit about 30 seconds, and the tar bubbles, softens and can be pretty much slid off the fiberglass. The Goof Off did a far better job of getting the residual off.

I read on several trailer forums about other having the same misguided repairs done on their rigs and them using Coke to get the tar off. I don't think I will ever drink the stuff again LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
leocraftrcolawinner.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #63

Registry
Other repairs I did earlier.. stripped the hitch of the old dual cam sway control I can't find the right bars for, Installed a proper 7 pin pigtail (Still have to do the brake line and test it.. I need a breakaway switch first)

A welder has come out and looked at the odd battery mounting scheme Bubba put in. I showed him what I had done to the Kit and he will reproduce it. You cant put a battery box on the wide tray he installed to hold two batteries. I am going with a single battery for weight reasons.

I have a brand new WDH to install using the existing brackets and need to get sway bars for the welder to put on.
Attached Thumbnails
leocraftdualcamon.jpg   leocraftdualcamoff.jpg  

Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #64

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Smile "leo"

Hey Gina,
Steve and I felt so priviledged to see your new home after Fred came back to the camp with it. Iam so envious. It has soooooo much room and is so bright and airy. You have really rolled up your sleeves and dug right in. I may never drink Coke again either!
We are all so fortunet to call Fred our friend. He is one in a million.
WE are hosting the gathering in Aqua Caliente,San Diego County in April.
I had wanted to go up to Portland in May to celebrate one of our grandson's third birthday, but so close after April gathering still not sure.
Also depends on how much of our own $$$$ Uncle Sam wants to give us back.
My son and his family are in Portland and Steve's brother is in Oregon City.
What campground will you be hosting at, if we manage to get up there?
Miss you down here but you are in Heaven in Oregon.
Keep the Leo pictures coming, we feel like part of its family.
Rosemary & Steve Rizzo
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #65

Registry
You may HAVE to com to Oregon.. the lamp is lovely, but I am having trouble with its placement. You may end up with it yet.

PM me for campground location!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #66

Name: Dennis & Linda
Trailer: Leocraft 17ft fiberglass rv by Monarch Industries
Ontario
Registry
Hi Gina! Thanks for the updated pics. You're really into it aren't you? Your bathroom vent is the same as ours was. When I removed the old round vent, there was a 9 inh square hole. So I put in a 9 inch plastic vent with screen just like the trillium 5500 had in the washroom. I put a MAX VENT over it too. I inserted 4 screws into the roof with the bolt threads facing up. This way I can remove the vent for easy cleaning. I also removed the clamps for the WDH we had. Never replaced as I don't need them. Keep up the good work. thanks again for the pics. Brings back memories. Dennis
Dennis Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #67

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
That roof vent looks a LOT like the 9 inch one on my son's 1974 Surfside. If that is what it is, they are still being made (but plastic now, instead of metal)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote