The loss of my scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ouch!

Wishing you a speedy recovery with no long term effects.

I agree with Phil, there may be some salvage value. Sugermc is looking for a fridge and yours does not appear to taken any impact. Then there is the A/C and the door along with a few windows.

I'm surprised you've still got the culprits front bumper in your trailer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #22

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
no insurance and speeding doesn't equate to driving under suspension either. He may be suspended after court though, for now just an uninsured speeder.
Hi: All...I bet he'll be back on the road before Cheryl C. has a new tug n tow..if he's not banged up behind bars!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Holy crap Batman, glad you're OK.
I was rear ended 3 years ago (was not towing trailer) by an uninsured girl, cost me $5000 out of my own pocket to replace truck. My back and shoulder will never be the same but at least I survived what was a terrible crash, very lucky to be alive, thank goodness for seat belts and air bags (air bag deployed when shoved into oncoming traffic where another vehicle and I collided head on).
Roy Bakehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
I too, offer my condolences. Glad you are OK.

From personal experience, I recommend getting proper medical exams.

Re: insurance; it's the adjusters job to minimize their payout. If you are not in a hurry to settle and can refuse their first offers you will get a better settlement. Forget the KBB value. That's a depreciated figure. Insist they make you whole.

My 2c. Goodluck.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Noooooo! It's a Scamp. We can't let it go!!!
To borrow from "The Six Million Dollar Man"...
We can rebuld it!
We have the technology.
We can make it better than it was. Better... Stronger... Cozier...

A bionic Scamp! Although it might just take six mil to fix that one.

But to get serious, I'm glad the really valuable cargo (humans) is doing ok. That's what is important. Stuff can be replaced; life can't.

That other driver deservs more than a ticket! Grrrr!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
You are all so kind and your words have been very comforting. The humor always helps too!

It's sad to hear how many of you have been in serious accidents. I really do feel for you. We are feeling pretty good, but both of us have appointments with our doctors this week to be checked again.

I'm so grateful for your insight in dealing with the insurance company because I would never have known that I could argue their settlement if the offer is too low. Thank you for giving me a heads up. I will be prepared now.
Cheryl C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Cheryl the photos are painful to see! But you are right, your little egg gave its life to save yours, and there will be a new egg in the future for you. You are connected to a great network for finding something affordable which you can make into your new home on wheels.

PLEASE take care of your body, do not sign off and agree to anything that releases the other person (in this case, because he had no insurance there will have to be some court decisions) from responsibility for your medical care - whether it's massages, physical therapy, acupuncture, all things that can help but often take time - until you are both feeling as good as before the accident. The long term impact of neck and back injuries can take time to tell.

Important in healing and moving on to future travel adventures is allowing yourself to grieve - which includes the anger, sadness, sense of loss, shock, etc. There is a huge emotional impact of an accident, and often, due to all the things that one has to do following it, the grief process gets put on the back burner, which impacts healing.

Take care, you are in our prayers. We will visualize you going down the road in your new rig with your new trailer!

Penney & Mike

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #28
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow, Cheryl. I am so thankful that you and your friend were able to walk away. Best wishes for speedy recovery - both with the insurance and from the neck and back pain. Take care - and don't be a stranger here!

By the way, and I know it's less important since it's your own insurance company you're dealing with, one reason we keep the "sold" archive is to help folks verify actual values for these fiberglass trailers (the NADA Blue Book values are notoriously low - the molded fiberglass trailers should not/don't depreciate as quickly as "a stickie"). Your 2004 was already six years old. To us, that's barely broke in!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #29

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
I would never have known that I could argue their settlement if the offer is too low. Thank you for giving me a heads up. I will be prepared now.
A lot of people don't know this. When I was struck by an elderly woman a few years back, the insurance company called my car totaled and offered $2,800. My car was an old Mercedes diesel sedan with over 300,000 miles on it at the time of the accident. However, it was in near-showroom condition. I sent them receipts for work that had been done to the car, and they came back with $4,500. I was still not satisfied. I wanted the car back, and the $8,000 that it was going to take to fix it right. They offered to have a 3rd party appraise the car and I accepted. They ended up giving me the car back and about $10,500. I didn't ask for that much, but they had agreed to give me whatever it was appraised at (which was about $12,000... The reason I got less is that I wanted the car back, too).

Good luck! Also, when you go to the doctor, have them submit any charges to your car insurance instead of your health insurance. They will pay it, seeing medical charges can... errr.... speed things up a bit.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #30

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wowser! Cheryl, I can't imagine how scary that accident was, to be in, to witness etc. Thankfully you both are ok. I am sure there are going to be some very stiff, out of kilter muscles and joints for the weeks to come. As others have said, the trailer and stuff can be replaced. Thankfully the two of you made it out.

I had to laugh at the playing cards spread out all over the asphalt. Funny what gets destroyed and what items seem untouched by the accident. If the trailer and it's contents were absent from the picture it would almost seem as a simple picture of a game of 52 card pick up. Did the spare tire inside the Jeep explode? Sure looks charred. I am sure being at the scene seemed so surreal. Again I like everyone else am glad you both made it out.

I would suggest collecting, For Sale Ad's from here in the Sale forums as well as anywhere else you can find a similar Scamp for sale to prove to the insurance company what the "real replacement" cost of your Scamp will be and not the blue book replacement cost. You will also find some AD's in the archive forums as well. Best of Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Wow, so much good advice...thank you!

McBrew - good job on the Mercedes settlement. That's very impressive! My Scamp still hasn't been brought down to St. Paul yet to be examined by the insurance company so I'm still waiting and using the time to gather documentation. I haven't heard about the jeep so that may still be up where it was towed to also.

Robin - No the tire never exploded, thank goodness! A lot of glass flew around inside the jeep, but I wasn't aware of it at the time. I think the flames and heat were all I was aware of. I don't know what I would have done if the tire exploded too!

I'm just grateful that my friend and I are ok and that there are great people in the world like all of you who are willing to take a moment to share a story and offer good wishes!
Cheryl C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl C View Post

I'm just grateful that my friend and I are ok
That's really all that matters!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp