The one mistake I made when I bought my Casita, was getting the... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
The one mistake I made when I bought my Casita, was getting the...

The one mistake I made when I bought my Casita, was getting the...small 16 gallon fresh-water tank. I should have got the 25 gallon tank. The "extra" space around the 16 gallon tank is basically unusable, since the water lines run through it. I can't put anything heavy in it, that might damage the hoses.

I use about 10 gallons of water a day, so I have to fill my tank every single day. If I had got the 25 gallon tank, I would only have to fill it every other day. Which is a lot better, when it is 10 degrees outside.

I wonder if I went by the Casita factory, if they could put in a 25 gal tank, and how much it would cost.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
The one mistake I made when I bought my Casita, was getting the...small 16 gallon fresh-water tank. I should have got the 25 gallon tank. The "extra" space around the 16 gallon tank is basically unusable, since the water lines run through it. I can't put anything heavy in it, that might damage the hoses.

I use about 10 gallons of water a day, so I have to fill my tank every single day. If I had got the 25 gallon tank, I would only have to fill it every other day. Which is a lot better, when it is 10 degrees outside.

I wonder if I went by the Casita factory, if they could put in a 25 gal tank, and how much it would cost.

You use too much water. I filled my 12 gallon tank last fall, went to Organ Pipe Cactus NM (no hook ups) for over 3 weeks and hauled most of the 12 gallons home.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have heard that camels can go for three weeks on only a few gallons. I certainly cannot. And jumping in the lake won't get you clean around here.

But I do have to agree that your water usage sounds on the high side. Do you bath with it? If so, there are likely better alternatives. While using bottled water for consumption so that my fresh water tank usage is only for the commode, dishes and the like, I have no problem going a week on my ten gallon tank (for one person). Since you now have the smaller fresh water tank, some adjustments in usage sound like a good thing to try. Just one example, you can save your dish water and use it to flush the commode using a jug.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Byron, inquiring minds want to know...How do you only use a few gallons of water over a 3 week trip? Details, please.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Byron, inquiring minds want to know...How do you only use a few gallons of water over a 3 week trip? Details, please.
You exaggerate, thats how... sort of like a fish tale. Not the first time that has happened.

(Or you use other sources of water).
Old 02-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I have heard that camels can go for three weeks on only a few gallons. I certainly cannot. And jumping in the lake won't get you clean around here.

But I do have to agree that your water usage sounds on the high side. Do you bath with it? If so, there are likely better alternatives. While using bottled water for consumption so that my fresh water tank usage is only for the commode, dishes and the like, I have no problem going a week on my ten gallon tank. Since you now have the smaller fresh water tank, some adjustments in usage sound like a good thing to try. Just one example, you can save your dish water and use it to flush the commode using a jug.
I work. Everyday. With other people. Being clean is not an option. The average American uses 80-100 gallons of water a day, I use 10% of that.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's how we conserve water. Keeping clean is done with Athletic wipes (no water). Coffee,, the coffee pot, which is a 1930s made for use over an open fire, is filled and heated. Breakfast is cooked in a ceramic lined skillet non stick, which means it only really needs a wipe with a paper towel. Dinner is cooked the same skillet requiring about a cup of water.
Drinking water is gotten from a campground spigette. Once again on board water rarely gets used.
If you were a backpacker and had to pump water through a filter to use you'd learn rapidly how to use water so you don't have to spend your day acquiring water.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have the 25 gallon tank in our trailer and all I can say is I wish it was bigger. We get about 3 days out of a tank of water . If that upsets the camels in the crowd then so be it.
We have friends who can go 5 to 6 days on one tank of water but they go out to eat for every meal , always drink bottled water ,beer , or alcohol , avoid showering or washing their hands and pee behind the closest tree.

Different strokes for different folks

There will always be people who claim their vehicle gets 40 MPG while towing or that they can go 6 month on one 12 gallon tank of water or they can eat on 15 cents per day or their cost to camp averages 08 cents per day or their vehicle is 60 years old ,has 7,000,000 miles on it , has the original tires and it's still runs like new and as always I am free to think it's a bunch of BS
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Call Casita and find out. Or ask a local rv place what they would charge for the job, it should be easy enough for them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Call Little House Customs and/or Casita. They will have an answer and not just an opinion![emoji1]
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #11

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post

Its no big deal to change the tanks, I think any rv shop could do it in 2 hours, being you live in new jersey I don't see how a visit to the factor would be cost effective . If your handy you could do it yourself
https://store.casitatraveltrailers.c...lon-fresh-tank
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
... I filled my 12 gallon tank last fall, went to Organ Pipe Cactus NM (no hook ups) for over 3 weeks and hauled most of the 12 gallons home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here's how we conserve water. ...
Drinking water is gotten from a campground spigette. ...
Must have been Twin Peaks Campground at Organ Pipe.. the web page for Twin Peaks says:

All the restrooms have running water and flush toilets. Three restrooms have solar-heated showers. Potable water is available throughout the campground. A dump-and-fill station is provided for RVs.

The point being that even if there are "no hook ups" there might be an endless supply of water nearby along with a full service bath house. So it makes sense to use whats available at the campground and conserve the on-board water, even if you were to go to a 25 gallon tank. If the OP wants to discuss water conservation and how he can get by with his current setup, then we need to define our terms. Are we talking about pure boondocking, or water within 100 feet, or 10 miles, etc. Also are you using a commode? What type, etc. And do you or your partner insist on avoiding the public shower and instead use one in the camper? Thats a real water user of course.

Conserving water is a good practice for many reasons. In some areas its a scarce resource. Conserving can help you spend more time in more remote places. If you have to haul water or even haul the trailer to the source, that would be required less often. And of course if you only use a gallon or two out of your fresh water tank in a week, then there is likely no reason to haul most of it home and deal with the unneeded weight, since you know how to get by with little or no water.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #13

Iowa
My water situation is a little complicated. In NJ, it is frequently below freezing, so I need to used a heated hose if I am going to leave it outside. I have a lot of problems with dirt in the water, so I have to clean the filter every time I fill my tank. Because I have to clean the filter, I can't put it behind my skirting, and it will freeze outside. The water pressure is also not very reliable, not to mention with dirt and ice added to the mix.

So for all these reasons, I use the water from my freshwater tank. To put the water in the tank, I use a normal unheated hose. I drape the hose over the Casita after I fill the tank, this gets the water out of the hose.

The system works great, I can fill my tank and clean the filter in about 10 minutes. But if I don't do that, I will be out of water within 48 hours. So every day, I top off my freshwater tank.

I will call Casita about the 25 gal tank. I called them a few days ago, and they never called me back, so I will try again.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #14

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Hmm that's tough. Having never camped all through the winter in my trailer, I don't have help for you there.

I agree about conserving water, but I also agree about using water. I also don't compare myself to other Americans. I conserve in every way I think I can, and let other people do what they're going to do.

I too work and live out of my camper most of the summer, so I shower in it. I have around a 20 gallon tank. It and my grey water tank (actually my most limiting factor. fresh water can be hauled in and poured into the fresh water tank but when the grey tank is full, it's time to hitch up and make a run to the dump station) last me usually 6 days. You didn't ask, but - I can only make the tanks last 6 days in this way:

Showers: I fire up the water heater, let it warm up, then take a water bottle, hold it under the shower head and turn it on. This way the cold water isn't filling the grey tank as I wait for it to heat up. When it's hot, I turn the water off. Then I get ready to shower. Turn water on to get wet, turn right off. Lather up. On-and-off using as little as possible to get the soap/shampoo off. The water in the water bottle gets poured back into the fresh water tank. It could also be set aside for dishes later on. I do my best to shower every other day, but if I'm working out in the field, it ends up being every day. Everyone is different. I don't smell too bad but I get greasy if go too long without showering. Since I go to an office setting fairly often, every other day is about right. I have friends who can easily go 4-5 days. Not me.

Dishes. No need to fill the sink. An inch of hot water in the sink is plenty for doing dishes. Rinsing consists of one hand on the faucet knob, letting just a trickle of water out to rinse most of the soap off, kind of pulsing on & off and I never let it run while I'm grabbing the next dish. It's turned off. Also a tiny amount of leftover suds will not hurt you. I've heard that across the pond they traditionally don't even rinse their dishes. Just wash and put straight into the drying rack. I compromise and rinse a tiny bit.

Drinking water is stored in two 3-gallon refillable jugs that I fill at a local spring, or tap water if there is no spring.

Living in the camper but at the same time trying to live a non-retired, working life is more tricky than just full-timing after retirement, or camping, or working through a computer. It uses more water and resources and can be a hassle; I definitely get it. But being super, super conscious of your water use will help stretch it as far as possible.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
H...
I agree about conserving water, but I also ..... But being super, super conscious of your water use will help stretch it as far as possible.

I did mean to mention the waste tanks filling up.. thats always the time limiting factor for me. I do have one of the 10 gallon wheeled portable dump tanks which I can take along if needed, but normally I don't use it.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #16

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah if I didn't have to travel with basically everything I own, I'd have one of those dump tanks. But my truck is full of enough crap already.

I can bring water home with me from work every night to refill fresh water, but once the grey or blank tank is full, nothing I can do!
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #17

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
I have to agree with the OP. I had a 25 in my Casita, and now have a 16 in the EggCamper. I miss the bigger capacity and have thought of adding another tank, but have yet to do so. More capacity is a plus, especially if your not using the storage area anyway.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ok I surrender on trying to understand what I just read!!

How can ANYONE suggest to another fellow camper how he/she saves water (using almost NONE) when they are at a campground (to which CERTAIN posters usually blasts others for!) where there's a "spigot" to use???

Do you realize if a gas tanker followed me every where I went with an auxiliary hose ran to my truck, I could come on here and boast on how to save gas?? And honestly brag that I went 200 miles and brought the same amount of gas home???
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Ok I surrender on trying to understand what I just read!!

How can ANYONE suggest to another fellow camper how he/she saves water (using almost NONE) when they are at a campground (to which CERTAIN posters usually blasts others for!) where there's a "spigot" to use???

Do you realize if a gas tanker followed me every where I went with an auxiliary hose ran to my truck, I could come on here and boast on how to save gas?? And honestly brag that I went 200 miles and brought the same amount of gas home???
Thanks Darral . A very honest , insightful and extremely logical post

IE , A single adult drinks approx 64 oz of water per day so if there are 2 adults traveling in the trailer they would consume / drink approx 1 gallon of water per day. Thus a 12 gallon tank of water would last for approx 12 days. So if one camped in let's say for example Death Valley for 90 days it's hard to believe that one would not run out of water or that they brought water home unless the water self multiplied,or was supplemented by another source

You would have to limit your consumption to 8 oz per day per person assuming 2 people , a 12 gallon tank , over a 90 days period
Something doesn't compute at least using my math ??
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I figure, no matter what anybody else does, if you use a lot of water, you need a lot of water.

Tags
casita