The one mistake I made when I bought my Casita, was getting the... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #21

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Check out Tractor Supply for their 25 gallon tank with a 12 volt motor for pumping. You can hook it directly to your city water inlet with a hose or pump it directly into you holding tank. I think I paid about $125 about 7 yrs. ago. Well worth the $.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_3945.jpg  
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Showers: I fire up the water heater, let it warm up, then take a water bottle, hold it under the shower head and turn it on. This way the cold water isn't filling the grey tank as I wait for it to heat up. When it's hot, I turn the water off. Then I get ready to shower. Turn water on to get wet, turn right off. Lather up. On-and-off using as little as possible to get the soap/shampoo off. The water in the water bottle gets poured back into the fresh water tank. It could also be set aside for dishes later on. I do my best to shower every other day, but if I'm working out in the field, it ends up being every day.
That tip reminds me that somewhere along the line, I internalized advice to (generally) not drink from the hot water tap in your home; no doubt something about leaching (and I think when they check the water in my 1950s office building they only check the cold taps). Any concern with drinking what has sat in the trailer's hot water tank?
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #23

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
That tip reminds me that somewhere along the line, I internalized advice to (generally) not drink from the hot water tap in your home; no doubt something about leaching (and I think when they check the water in my 1950s office building they only check the cold taps). Any concern with drinking what has sat in the trailer's hot water tank?
I would think the same holds true. It's a combination of hazardous things which have built up on pipes, dissolving into solution more easily at higher temperatures, and the sediment that builds up in a water heater. Probably less build up of toxins in a 0-30 year old campers lines to dissolve into hot water flowing through them, but if you've ever cleaned your water heater tank (and you better have!), you know the crap that builds up in there.

In the end...it's still whatever you're comfortable with. It's not going to kill you, but it's probably not healthy. I think the important thing is with children. I have friends who would use the hot water tap for things their kids drank, and I think there's enough evidence to say that's not a good idea.

I don't ever drink cold water unless there's no other option. So I just keep a kettle on the stove and mix cold, fresh water with some heated stove-top water to get it the temp I like. It would be easier to just use hot tap water, but I'm too wary.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #24

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
In Peanut, our amerigo, after replacing a rotted-out floor, partly from an open toilet hole and partly from a broken water tank with a long-term leak, we couldn't bear to put water lines back in, so we didn't. We use a dry system porta-potti and use campground water when we can get it, particularly for our solar bucket bathing system.

We use campground showers when they suit me, and sponge baths or solar bucket wash-ups in the privacy tent otherwise. I can wash my hair over a basin in very little water, a few cups. (I cut my hair short after our first camping trip when I realized my long hair was a literal mess to wash when camping.)

We use paper (often "wheat" plates and corn starch utensils, both degradable and burnable) dishes, and use a non-stick fry pan over our little camp stove when we use it at all. We plan our meals so as to make the least mess possible or cook over an outside fire. We have little to wash.

We use 2-liter pop bottles to bring tap water from home and use 12-15 bottles in a week for two adults and two little dogs. We've never been out in Peanut more than a week yet. So far we haven't had to get more drinking water at the campgrounds.

A little bathroom would be a fine luxury, but all of them I've ever seen are too small for me to use. I know the drinking water is clean as we fill the bottles just before we go. But we are strictly camping, not living for extended lengths of time, which would be a completely different kind of thing.

I am enjoying this topic very much. Thanks, all.

BTW: we get 110 miles per gallon towing, we only pay $8 per reservation to camp even if it's for several days, and while we're gone, our water and electric bills drop to nothing at home!

More or less, wink, wink.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Check out Tractor Supply for their 25 gallon tank with a 12 volt motor for pumping. You can hook it directly to your city water inlet with a hose or pump it directly into you holding tank. I think I paid about $125 about 7 yrs. ago. Well worth the $.
That is of course intended for things such as insecticide spraying and I very much doubt it is approved for potable water. But I'm too lazy to check now. I have that exact same sprayer and I can assure you that you DO NOT want to drink from mine!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Having a larger tank isn't usually a problem. Even if you have lots of water you don't have to use it.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #27

Montana
If the space freed up by having a smaller tank isn't usable space, I completely agree.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I find that the more water I drink each day, the more my black tank fills up! [emoji846][emoji1] You can’t win.[emoji31][emoji848]
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #29

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
If the space freed up by having a smaller tank isn't usable space, I completely agree.
Oh but it is usable. Very much so.

We have the same trailer and the 16 gallon tank. For us, this is the preferred set up. We get close to a weeks worth of water and in the space saved with the smaller tank I store our Anderson levelers, wheel chocks, spare wood planks and stabilizer adjustment bar. I may even have more jammed in there but I find the space to be extremely convenient. Particularly for often wet and dirty items.

It's really a trade off. For the OP it sounds like he would prefer the additional water which I fully understand due to his personal circumstances. For me, I'll take the outside accessible storage space and top off the tank on the few occasions a year it's necessary.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #30

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
That is of course intended for things such as insecticide spraying and I very much doubt it is approved for potable water. But I'm too lazy to check now. I have that exact same sprayer and I can assure you that you DO NOT want to drink from mine!
I sanitize it from time to time (including hoses) and have not noticed any side affects after 7 years. Should have shown up by now. I do change the filter screen in the bottom of the tank frequently since it will rust.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #31

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
The one mistake I made when I bought my Casita, was getting the...small 16 gallon fresh-water tank. I should have got the 25 gallon tank. The "extra" space around the 16 gallon tank is basically unusable, since the water lines run through it. I can't put anything heavy in it, that might damage the hoses.

I use about 10 gallons of water a day, so I have to fill my tank every single day. If I had got the 25 gallon tank, I would only have to fill it every other day. Which is a lot better, when it is 10 degrees outside.

I wonder if I went by the Casita factory, if they could put in a 25 gal tank, and how much it would cost.
Hi William,

We bought our Casita used and the previous owner made numerous mods and upgrades. We love them all except one. He removed the 16 gallon fresh tank and put in a 10 gallon fresh tank. I would rather give up the extra space and have the 25 gallon tank!

As you can tell, there are many different views on water consumption. Laura and I are mindful of our water consumption, but we are not as frugal as some. In fact, most of our camping is at state parks and CoE Campgrounds that have electric/water and a central dumping station. Our limiting factor is our gray water tank. For this reason, I bought a 12 gallon Thetford portable tote to drain off 12 gallons of gray during our long weekend trips. Laura likes to shower in the Casita. So, if we are camping without water and Laura is going to shower, I will need to find a way to top off our fresh tank 1 X per day. If the campground has electric only with occasional access faucets for fresh water, I try to pick my site close to a water source.

Laura and I have a little Glamper in us, so we are still learning how to best manage our resources and camping style.

Wishing You Happy Camping,

Dean
Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #32

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Quote:
I sanitize it from time to time (including hoses) and have not noticed any side affects after 7 years. Should have shown up by now. I do change the filter screen in the bottom of the tank frequently since it will rust.
Well, people smoke for longer than seven years before getting lung cancer. People are exposed to asbestos for more than seven years before coming down with mesothelioma. But perhaps the most likely concern is lead in the pump, since it is not for potable water use, they are free to have high lead content.

May I suggest that you at least contact the manufacturer at Master Manufacturing Support - Contact Us and ask if the sanitized tank, pump and and hose is safe for human water consumption. If they say yes, then this is a good idea for people to use to transport water to their campers.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #33

Texas
Gordon2- I have emailed Master Manufacturing asking for their opinion on using it for fresh water. I will let you know if I hear back from them.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #34

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here's how we conserve water. Keeping clean is done with Athletic wipes (no water). Coffee,, the coffee pot, which is a 1930s made for use over an open fire, is filled and heated. Breakfast is cooked in a ceramic lined skillet non stick, which means it only really needs a wipe with a paper towel. Dinner is cooked the same skillet requiring about a cup of water.
Drinking water is gotten from a campground spigette. Once again on board water rarely gets used.
If you were a backpacker and had to pump water through a filter to use you'd learn rapidly how to use water so you don't have to spend your day acquiring water.
Cleaning up with just wipes means you must get a little nasty smelling. You can't clean up good enough with them. We use them for a clean up once in a while but not for over 2-3 days. You must not have a toilet. Sounds like you can make it in a tent. Most of us use our trailers for comfort not for roughing it hard.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #35

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
The one mistake I made when I bought my Casita, was getting the...small 16 gallon fresh-water tank. I should have got the 25 gallon tank. The "extra" space around the 16 gallon tank is basically unusable, since the water lines run through it. I can't put anything heavy in it, that might damage the hoses.

I use about 10 gallons of water a day, so I have to fill my tank every single day. If I had got the 25 gallon tank, I would only have to fill it every other day. Which is a lot better, when it is 10 degrees outside.

I wonder if I went by the Casita factory, if they could put in a 25 gal tank, and how much it would cost.
We are happy with the 16 gallon tank. We use campground bathrooms as much as possible and rest area ones on the road. We put a lot of stuff in the area with the water tank. We carry a 2 gallon jug to fill the tank and if needed we carry a blue dump tank for the gray water in case it gets full. Black tank full means we have to hook up and go dump. We can get about 3-4 days out of our 16 gallon tank most times if we are boon docking. We make sure our dump tanks are empty and the water one is full when we leave home. It can work. When using the toilet for just peeing we both go before flushing. Then quickly flush. It's doable but I can understand you wanting more water. Just make sure the tank is for drinking water, the pipes fit right, and go for it. I think the hardest part will be taking the seat out to get to the tank. If yours are riveted in that will be the worst part. Just do what it takes to enjoy your Casita and your life.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:45 AM   #36

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
25 gallon water tank

My 1994 Casita Liberty had a 10 gallon fresh water tank. I took it out and put in a 25 gallon fresh water tank myself=easy. Love my 25 gallon fresh water tank!!
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:

William,

From what I recall, I believe that it would be pretty simple to replace the water tank. I think the fiberglass which forms the 'bench seat' can be removed readily, allowing a person to remove and replace the water tank without too much difficulty. Inside the fiberglass, the tank in my 2012 Casita 17 was very lightly secured to the floor by a bit of lightweight galvanized steel strap.

Once you had a new tank in hand, I think a local handyperson or RV shop could do this project pretty quickly, as Mike from New York noted in post #11.

Contact Casita and see if they don't agree.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #38

Montana
Interesting, different peoples ideas about “roughing it”. When camping, I think a shower every 4-5 days, with some wet wipe cleaning of key areas in between is perfectly acceptable.

Back in the “old days”, when cleaning meant heating water on a wood stove and pouring into a tub, how often did it happen? And that’s regular life, not camping. I have friends who, in daily life with an office job don’t shower more than once every 3-4 days.

I also love modern conveniences, don’t get me wrong. It’s ok to be pampered, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that we are indeed pampered. One or two hot baths a week probably seemed, and could seem again to us if we let it, pretty luxurious. Probably a lot better for our skin, too, once you get used to it.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It is remarkable how the standard for cleanliness varies .
We camp with another couple who have a large 5th wheel trailer.
Their trailers fresh water tanks hold over 100 gallons of water, yet they can't go more than 2 days before they run out of water.
They feel it is necessary to shower twice a day (Morning & Before Bed) even though they spend 90% of their day sitting in a lawn chairs in the shade.
Yet as ZachO says many are content to shower / bathe twice a week.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #40

Name: M
Trailer: Currently shopping
Michigan
Question for Jann Todd:
You seem to say that you can dump your GRAY WATER in places other than a dump station. Please help a newbie with some details?
lewisma9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita