The Race was too close to call! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
The Race was too close to call!

Hi all,

Well seems that we lost our annual winter "Race" the snow and it was too close to call as good. Earlier weather predictions suggested we would win the race this year and head south BEFORE that obscene 4 letter word SNOW arrived... guess not.

Oh well, it is what it is and not worth fretting about.

We are set to pull out next Wed early AM to head downstate in Mich. [A] then on to our Winter Escape in our new Escape19.

Travel distance for our winter escape is estimated by RV Parky as 8,178 miles; for 138 nights with "pulling time" being 132 hours and 32 min.

Currently, it is ~28°F [-2.2 C ° for our Canadian friends] and it is now predicted we will have 2"-5" of snow through the night.
Our lake has already frozen over.

My main concern is getting up the very steep drive once it becomes snow/ice covered.

Allegedly next Monday it is supposed to warm up and Tuesday/Wednesday reputed to be in the 40°s F [+5°C].

Just had the UPS deliver my insulin from the VA. Was to keep me going for the winter. Oops, a techno-glitch... 2 vials of the slow-acting that I needed were missing. So they are going to express these and was told I should have them by Saturday.

Now if I get my 2 month supply of continuous glucose monitor sensors before we depart I will be a happy camper.

You can see the orange 110 volt (only 15 amp) extension can be seen hanging off the back of our Escape. The electric heater has been keeping it at 60°F even with 19°F lows at night. Glad I opted for the extra 4 season insulation. ;-)

So after a few days downstate with DW's family for Turkey Day, we head towards the southeast. I initially thought about an overnight at a CarckerBarrell or Walmart.

However, as the trailer is not "winterized" I did not want to boondock the first night under hard freeze conditions and found a KOA open all year with full hook up. They had 2 slots left for Turkey Day week so I grabbed the one drive through. Hopefully relatively level so will not bother to unhook from TV. Or just live with whatever tilt is dealt to us. LOL.

Once further south below very hard freeze line we should be good to go.

I will update our travels from time to time when appropriate and/or mildly interesting.

Esmé is really really is looking forward to trailer time as there is no room for her crate. Unlike here at home, she will have NO options other than to sleep on the bed with us. Aww, she really hates that...Not.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude and family
Old 11-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'm pretty jealous of that trip. Sounds like you've got the logistics all figured out.

Having "escaped" out of town once or twice on my own long rv trips, I know that it's one of those murphy's law things that it's going to dump snow that day. When I left on my first trip (quit my job and loaded into a 1978 Toyota Chinook), it was St. Patrick's Day, had been dry as a bone and warmish for a few weeks. Big fat flakes started coming down as I loaded the last stuff, and by the time I was 30 miles south on I-15, the highway was shut down. I was stopped in a line of semis for about a half hour, I guess as they cleared the road, then things started moving again. Snow let up but cross winds were terrible the rest of the day.

Same thing happened when I left MN the next spring, headed for southern Utah. Roads had been dry. I had taken a winter job shoveling snow for a local company and they had let us all go; "season's over". Having dinner at a friends the night before I left...snow. Even saw the old bosses number show up on my phone. Nope, not answering that one! Roads were terrible, just ruts in the snow on the interstate until Nebraska.

It just makes knowing you're headed south that much more enjoyable. Hit the dry roads, loosen the neck and shoulders back out after the white-knuckling, find a good car wash, then relax knowing you're out of the cold!

Have fun!
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I also will be leaving Michigan next Wednesday with my three year old Escape19. Where are you going with yours? I’ll be in Camp Verde, AZ.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Hi all,

Well seems that we lost our annual winter "Race" the snow and it was too close to call as good. Earlier weather predictions suggested we would win the race this year and head south BEFORE that obscene 4 letter word SNOW arrived... guess not.

Oh well, it is what it is and not worth fretting about.

We are set to pull out next Wed early AM to head downstate in Mich. [A] then on to our Winter Escape in our new Escape19.

Travel distance for our winter escape is estimated by RV Parky as 8,178 miles; for 138 nights with "pulling time" being 132 hours and 32 min.

Currently, it is ~28°F [-2.2 C ° for our Canadian friends] and it is now predicted we will have 2"-5" of snow through the night.
Our lake has already frozen over.

My main concern is getting up the very steep drive once it becomes snow/ice covered.

Allegedly next Monday it is supposed to warm up and Tuesday/Wednesday reputed to be in the 40°s F [+5°C].

Just had the UPS deliver my insulin from the VA. Was to keep me going for the winter. Oops, a techno-glitch... 2 vials of the slow-acting that I needed were missing. So they are going to express these and was told I should have them by Saturday.

Now if I get my 2 month supply of continuous glucose monitor sensors before we depart I will be a happy camper.

You can see the orange 110 volt (only 15 amp) extension can be seen hanging off the back of our Escape. The electric heater has been keeping it at 60°F even with 19°F lows at night. Glad I opted for the extra 4 season insulation. ;-)

So after a few days downstate with DW's family for Turkey Day, we head towards the southeast. I initially thought about an overnight at a CarckerBarrell or Walmart.

However, as the trailer is not "winterized" I did not want to boondock the first night under hard freeze conditions and found a KOA open all year with full hook up. They had 2 slots left for Turkey Day week so I grabbed the one drive through. Hopefully relatively level so will not bother to unhook from TV. Or just live with whatever tilt is dealt to us. LOL.

Once further south below very hard freeze line we should be good to go.

I will update our travels from time to time when appropriate and/or mildly interesting.

Esmé is really really is looking forward to trailer time as there is no room for her crate. Unlike here at home, she will have NO options other than to sleep on the bed with us. Aww, she really hates that...Not.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude and family
Don't live with whatever tilt is given to you. Your fridge doesn't like it and it can ruin the fridge. When we are unlevel and don't unhook we put a board under the low side. If low in front or back we put a large block under the tongue and raise it just enough to take the weight off of the vehicle. If we have to we turn around the wrong way in the site to keep the front low so we can do that. Check out where you are going in CA. Your map looks like it may go into the horrible fire areas. I imagine all the areas are very hard to get into. The nice thing about an RV is you can change plans easily if need be. Have a great winter.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
That RVPARKY travel map is fun to use for planning.
As you can see, we probably passed not too far from you in MI, but we definitely missed the snow on our summer trip, and actually hit many, many days in the 100's up North. Enjoy your trip, we will cross your track at least twice as we head back and forth to FL from GA this winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #6

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Great you can get away from the "Great White " area and go to the warmer places ! I'm a bit jealous, but want to wish you a safe and enjoyable adventure ! Duane p.s. take lots of pics and videos en-route. Post a few on here too !
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:07 AM   #7

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
As someone who's currently camped in just-below-freezing weather in an insulated Escape 19 and has seen as low as 4F overnight, I've got some good news. You might want to pour a bit of antifreeze down the black and gray tanks right after dumping as a precaution (I've never had a problem, but it *is* a bit exposed), but mostly you just need to wipe condensation from around the bed a couple times a day and you're probably in good shape. Even boondocking is probably fine, although I've heard the furnace blower can drain the battery pretty fast (less of an issue for me, as I have significant battery ugprades). At lows of 4-15F overnight, I think it blew through a tank of propane every 2 days, so the electric hookups are definitely cheaper long-term.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I’m now in Camp Verde, AZ. I left Newaygo, Michigan with snow on the ground and headed south. Spent 4 days at my son’s in Indianapolis and left there on Nov 25. Took 4 days to get to Camp V. Had a little snow/rain for about an hour in Missouri and then clear and nice the test of the way.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:25 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I’m now in Camp Verde, AZ. I left Newaygo, Michigan with snow on the ground and headed south. Spent 4 days at my son’s in Indianapolis and left there on Nov 25. Took 4 days to get to Camp V. Had a little snow/rain for about an hour in Missouri and then clear and nice the test of the way.
Welcome to AZ Bob....are you the one responsible for this cold weather the last couple of days?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:10 AM   #10

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Hi all,

We out ran the snow as we headed south east from Novi Mich, after a 3 day visit to DW's family for turkey day.

We did did run into some rain then heavy fog and rain as we pulled though the maze of interchanges by Norfolk Va. en route to Cape Hatteras.

While that was a very nice area it was very windy and cold. Low to mid 30s and 30 MPH winds. We visited the Wright Brothers memorial near Kittyhawk. Wilbur and Orville chose that location to move from their home in Ohio to try their early powered flight attempts as this was a windy area to provide lift.

Very neat and impressive memorial. The new NP visitors center was recently opened and beautiful.

The OBX (Outer Banks) National Seashore was very interesting however we opted NOT to take the ferry to Ocracoke with 4-8' waves and the heavy winds.
Maybe next trip we will look for the ponies!

After we toured the various Wildlife Refuges in the area we only pulled about 3 hours for an overnight to stop before heading to Huntington Beach State Park in S.C. Originally considered doing it in a long 6.5 hour trip.

This stop necessitated disconnecting the water hose and adding about 5 gal. to our fresh water holding tank as night time temps we in the mid 20sF. Yikes! Did not want our hose to freeze so I could not stow it for travel as we pulled out early in the morning.

Here at Huntington Beach it has finally warmed into the mid to high 60s but raining.
A few more colder but drier days predicted later this week.

Will post updates in the travel section as time permits.
We may try to link up with our fellow Michigander in Az.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude and family
Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
What is your next stop, the campground of falling trees (Jekyll). Two of our friends were there for the whole month in November. The first week a big tree broke off at the base and fell over but luckily got hung up in another tree. Entertainment for the day was watching the tree crew remove the tree without damaging any trailers. We are going to Jekyll in the spring for a couple weeks, but in a rental house. Safe travels.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote