The "screen door" dilemma... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
The "screen door" dilemma...

Group : We've just returned from Bolerama...& had a great time.

One thing that we noticed (actually, make that...failed to notice..) is that there seems to be no real solution to the issue of how to keep air conditioned air in a trailer...while still having the availability of a screen door.

This got me thinking as we drove home to Windsor from Wainfleet...and although I'm not an engineer...we do have a sailboat...and as a sailor, we've dealt with similar problems.

You see, there are times aboard when it's soooo hot, we need a breeze to keep cool (screens) and there are other times when we have to keep nasty weather outside (either rain or cold..) from getting to us !! (lest the Admiral mutiny !!)

The solution has been a cockpit enclosure for the sailboat, with screens all around, that also has zippered plastic windows that can be unzipped & rolled up to allow a breeze to go through the screens.

Like this... Photo Gallery of Custom Canvas Enclosures by Waterman's Canvas & Upholstery

So here's the plan...

I need to find a talented person, who can fabricate a "hinged aluminum door-frame" for us...which I will then take to our very talented boat cover people to have the "canvas screen door with a roll up window" put together.

With a bit of luck, perhaps some of you may even be compelled to admire what I've done at next year's Bolerama !!

If any of you know a good aluminum fabricator who can make us a good frame for our 2011 Trillium 1500...pls let me know !!

Cheers, P.
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Typical screen doors for a house are just screwed together. The have insert in the corners to hold the miters together. Why not pick up an old used screen door. Take it apart. Recut the side and top members to the size you need and reinstall the screws. Now you have a frame pop rivet on some snaps and you can have a plastic snap in window made with a screen. Or you switch between a screen and a plastic window. The frame can be easily cut using a wood cutting miter saw. The frame I guess would still need to be wooden to square up the opening then attach a cut down frame from the door you tool apart. Around here the biggest problem you would have is fighting the scrap metal guys for the door on garbage day.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #3

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
How about finding a person who fabricates screens for house windows? I had a fella make solar screens for my house. He measured all the windows, made the frames and put the soloar screen in them. Some screens are 4ft x 5 ft. He could easily make one for your door.

Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: PaulOWindsor... Glad you had a good time at Bolerama...we did too!!! Don't know if I can help with your silver screen debut but here's one solution Retractable Screen Doors, Window Screens | Mirage Screen Systems I have seen these used in older Trilliums and Escape now installs them too!!! It's really a screen door in a rolerblind type tube. A snapon plastic cover could be added as well.
Still requires a wooden frame inside the trailer to flatten out the curved wall and mount the tube to.
Ours is just a good old bifold aluminium type in the wooden frame.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
open door policy.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 88 Cadet
How about these?
https://www.magicmesh.ca/
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Check these out!

038 pictures from clubs & activities photos on webshots
050 pictures from clubs & activities photos on webshots
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ilt-32639.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post232643
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #7

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Len : That's a very smart solution !!

Perhaps if we were to be able to incorporate the plastic windows as well, that would be the answer we're looking for !!

Thanks very much for that posting !!
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote