The Top of the World Highway,YT & AS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 10:50 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
The Top of the World Highway,YT & AS

Just to let you all know we drove this route from Dawson City to Delta Junction, with a overnight in Chicken, Canada is 100% Gravel but starts out Blacktop then a real good Gravel road, finally you arrive at Poker Creek, USA Border services. From there in Alaska you get 11 miles of freshly laid Blacktop then rotten Gravel and not as nice as the Canadian Side, finally arriving in Chicken where we got a place to park?dry camp at a high price of $24, if you wanted full hook up it cost double that price. But from what the gals told me the fudge they sell at the Gold Panner is almost the best they had in most places along the way. They also say the Fudge in Skagway is par with Chicken. On our first day we only saw one Moose who was doing a funny dance to get away from us so we only got a funny looking picture of it, by the way it was a american Moose. We woke up and decided to go to downtown Chicken, first the Gift Store, then the Liquor Store, finally the Pie and Coffee Shop, Oh Boy they have the best Pie one can get way out in the boonies, far from any place like a city. The Gift shop at both places the Gold Panner and downtown Chicken both had a good assortment for everyone to find something. But poor me cannot have Sugar like they put in Fudge but I did have a piece of Apple/Cranberry Pie and oooooooh it was good. While there a mom brought her baby moose around for us to all view and there were at least 75 people there viewing the scene as the Tour bus got to the pies before the rest of us overnight locals who took their time in waking up. But the morning was worth the pictures of mom and baby.
Anyway we finally got into Delta Junction where we shopped for some much needed Groceries and we bought a big heavy cooked Chicken for $8.99 and let me tell you we ate and ate that chicken for 4 nights and 4 lunches between 3 of us, I and neither has the other 2 travelers with me seen a cooked chicken that big. So we parked about 35KM's north of there where we found the 2nd pull out so we parked and had our chicken dinner, went up to start the truck to warm the MH up as we were low on Propane and it would not start, sounded like a Starter/battery problem, we tried jumping the batteries from the attached car to no avail. We had to wait until Sunday to call Good Sam before we could get help so this was done after a good nights sleep, the Mechanic from Peterbuilt arrived and he got us started by jumping the Starter, he thought it was not the starter or Battery that we had a dead short on board, Well I can say the drive over that Hwy did not help the problems we were experiencing.
Turns out that drive cost us a few bucks but it was going to cost somewhere else down the road if not there and we got fixed up in 2 days, we had to replace 2 house batteries and 1 start battery, replace all the bad ends on the wiring, and clean up electrical problems underneath which I think the Calcium put down on the hwy's in the winter months did not help any. What it does is attack all wiring, batteries etc. but as we bought this unit 2nd hand and got it for a decent price we knew we were going to have do some major work to it. Funny thing is we traveled around 34 days before we started seeing any problems. When we got started we drove to the Peterbuilt Diesel Garage and spent the night next door in the Church Parking lot. Oh boy Ron showed up first thing in the AM and it was Freezing outside and it traveled into the MH real Quick, the gals went inside and I stayed and assisted the Mechanic. Like I said replace the ends on the wiring, but first had to disconnect the Solar system then Ron removed all 3 batteries but could only get the start battery in today and the other 2 showed up next day and were installed today AM by Rob the call out guy. Let me tell you I and my two gals have never met so many happy people who love their jobs working for Peterbuilt and it was nice for us to see this and we were treated by all with 100% courtesy and Service by all we dealt with and that includes the Good Sam Gal on the other end of the phone where ever she is.
Satruday we head for Denali and then Anchorage and on and on and on.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We made that drive in 1994 but without the vehicle issues. Good trip.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We made that drive in 1994 but without the vehicle issues. Good trip.
:did you tow the Escape or trailer like it over the road, heck in 94 it was more like the original Creek Bed they built it on, from what I can see is much better road except for the problems with the perma frost melting now. I bet you had a good time on that road I know we did as our problems started after we were off it thankfully.
Stude
Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We had a slide in pickup camper in those days.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We had a slide in pickup camper in those days.
e did it in our 30' Itasca Class A towing a 2010 Suzuki 4x4 behind, I still think a pickup with Camper is best way to go, U should see what is going over it now, bigger than us, a ton of rental Class C's they better hope they do not break down or they will get caught voiding the rental agreements as they are not supposed to travel on gravel let alone that road, so many of them do not read the fine print on their contracts. Sun is shining today and the fire smoke is gone as we have bright blue skies for a first time since May. Head for Denali on Saturday. We need to get moving as busy summer this year.
Stude
Old 06-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've seen calcium chloride applied in the summer too. Its part of the dust control regiment they use.

Very corrosive, so thorough cleaning of anything metal as quickly as possible is a very good idea.

I saw a lot of it last trip on the Dalton Highway. Sadly it was raining, so it was like a brownish tan frosting, several inches deep on the road. Since I was on my motorcycle, it was pretty treacherous!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I enjoyed your postcard. That was a lot of information for a single stamp.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I've seen calcium chloride applied in the summer too. Its part of the dust control regiment they use.

Very corrosive, so thorough cleaning of anything metal as quickly as possible is a very good idea.

I saw a lot of it last trip on the Dalton Highway. Sadly it was raining, so it was like a brownish tan frosting, several inches deep on the road. Since I was on my motorcycle, it was pretty treacherous!
:I talked to a guy who told me that when the calcium gets on the Chrome or any metal on a cycle one should clean it like while they are running down the road as it etches into the metal permanently and cannot get it out. Destroys the look of the bike.
Stude