thinking about it - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Jeep Liberty Renagade V6
We're looking at a 1976 16' Scamp trailer for $ 2500. Is that a good price for one, also there is some minor problems with it. Like the door needs a new seal, toilet needs a new seal and the cabinet doors are warped from a previous leak in the roof vent. So our we getting our money's worth?
ted saxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Can't really say without seeing the unit itself.

How bad was the leak? That could lead to more than cabinet doors, it could mean carpet, floors, and other items.

If it was bad enough to warp cabinet doors, I suspect it goes farther than that. Look close.

Interior design work is common, most everyone does it, regardless of the original condition (Good or Bad) so thats something to factor in in anything you buy.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
$2500 for a 1976 trailer in good condition isn't unreasonable, but it may not be a steal either. These will bring whatever the buyer thinks they're worth.

Use the Buyer's checklist from the left column here. Check the floor carefully for rot from leaks, especially under the windows, at the wheel wells, and around the door. The floors rot out from the top down, not the bottom up.

Check the frame for excessive rust, broken welds, etc.

A thirty year old trailer will likely need an axle transplant; not a big deal and reasonably easy to do, but it will add around $600 to the final cost.

The systems should all be pretty simple, and easy to repair or replace, but if it has a fridge, and the fridge doesn't work, a replacement starts at around $500. It's good to test all of the appliances and systems so you don't have any unanticipated surprises.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #4

I don't know if this trailer has just sat around. It sounded like when I talked to the seller he was pulling it. But did print out the check list for when I go and see it. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
I don't know if this trailer has just sat around. It sounded like when I talked to the seller he was pulling it. But did print out the check list for when I go and see it. Thanks for the feedback.
I looked at this trailer today. Very bad condition! Needed at least $1000 or more work on it.
So I'll keep on looking !
Old 04-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I looked at this trailer today. Very bad condition! Needed at least $1000 or more work on it.
So I'll keep on looking !
Ted, what constitutes "very bad condition"? Can you give an objective evaluation of the trailer and what it needs? Perhaps someone else may be interested in it.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Ted, what constitutes "very bad condition"? Can you give an objective evaluation of the trailer and what it needs? Perhaps someone else may be interested in it.

Roger
Yes, the bottom of the door was rotted out and the trim up the top was broken, wiring harness missing insulation, bare wires exposed. modication a air conditioner was put in the closet space, torsion bar and axles had deep dents in it, there were tears in the fiberglass underneath. what else, broken lights, fresh water tank cap broken and broken sewage pipe on front of trailer. lots of mold inside and out. Rubber on the windows all dried out, all latches rusted. No furnance. Don't think I would give $2500. This was a trailer listed on Craigslist and at one time listed for $3000. Everything else did look good, it has stove w/ oven, nice fridge, he had replaced the cushions. He said he bought in Arkansas. One thing it had a house # on it, maybe someone was using as their home.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, the bottom of the door was rotted out and the trim up the top was broken, wiring harness missing insulation, bare wires exposed. modication a air conditioner was put in the closet space, torsion bar and axles had deep dents in it, there were tears in the fiberglass underneath. what else, broken lights, fresh water tank cap broken and broken sewage pipe on front of trailer. lots of mold inside and out. Rubber on the windows all dried out, all latches rusted. No furnance. Don't think I would give $2500. This was a trailer listed on Craigslist and at one time listed for $3000. Everything else did look good, it has stove w/ oven, nice fridge, he had replaced the cushions. He said he bought in Arkansas. One thing it had a house # on it, maybe someone was using as their home.
I talked to the people at Scamp today, said they didn't make the 16 footer in 1976. This Model began in 1979, So who know how old this trailer is. All I know it needed lots of work on it to make it livable.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I talked to the people at Scamp today, said they didn't make the 16 footer in 1976.
FYI Scamp started building the 16 footer in 1978.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #10

Quote:
FYI Scamp started building the 16 footer in 1978.
When I was talking with a guy from Scamp He said 79 and you're saying 78. Well any ways think I've decided when the money's right I'm going to order a new 13' custom, since used ones seem to be rare in our area. Now he's change his mind and wants a 16' And I thought women were bad !
Old 04-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
When I was talking with a guy from Scamp He said 79 and you're saying 78. Well any ways think I've decided when the money's right I'm going to order a new 13' custom, since used ones seem to be rare in our area.
hummm, I don't have the article I referenced the 1978 stuff from, cause I'm here at work now. Doesn't really matter tho when you consider the grand scheme of things

A new trailer, good for you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I can think of one possible explanation for the "house number". Several military bases around the country have Scamps for rent in their recreation equipment inventories. When they are worn out they are sold at sealed-bid government auctions. Sometimes they are used for storage units or little offices on a gun range before being auctioned off. Anyway, these units are usually given a number which is displayed prominently. While some of these trailers are still salvageable, they have not led lives of TLC.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:
I can think of one possible explanation for the "house number". Several military bases around the country have Scamps for rent in their recreation equipment inventories. When they are worn out they are sold at sealed-bid government auctions. Sometimes they are used for storage units or little offices on a gun range before being auctioned off. Anyway, these units are usually given a number which is displayed prominently. While some of these trailers are still salvageable, they have not led lives of TLC.
Didn't know that. That makes sense of why it was in such rough shape. This one would take lots of rehab. Beside the exterior being pretty rough the inside wasn't too bad. But if the guy would come down on the price it might be worth it.