this summer's travel: doomed in advance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #21

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well, clearly you have to do what you have to do when your daughter and wife are the focus. so those plans are set in stone. now,,,that doesn't mean you cant do a trip later,,,or before. its the least you deserve for being a good dad and hubby. i sugjest in september you take a trip to algonac michigan for the second annual algonac fiberglassic egg scramble. happend the weekend after laborday.

meanwhile, take short little one or two night trips and explore your own area. we find lots of interesting little trips to do that way.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I would like nothing better than to take a trip to Michigan in late September to see the fall color (we get mostly brown leaves here), but my work schedule is tied to schools in session, so it's summer or nothing. We do try to drive to Michigan each summer; my wife bears the discomfort because she wants to see her parents. But we have already accepted that there will be no such visit this year. Maybe if I find that golden-egg-laying goose...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Wow- sounds like you're a teacher, or at least involved in The Education of Our Little Monsters in one way or another.

Especially since it's something you've always wanted to do, I think you need to make that road trip, and there must be some way to make it happen. Are you to be heavily involved in wedding preparations, or will that be pretty much handled by the women, as in most cases?

If the latter:
They're probably going to want the men out of the way anyway, so why not promote that as a sort of "benefit" of your traveling out solo with the trailer?

Francesca
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #24

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I'm sorry you have difficult decisions to make. Brides can be very self centred it seems (not just your daughter!)

Working around your wife's special needs really complicates things a bit too. I doubt my hubby would have much patience if I set out expectations for travel that didn't tie in with his. I'm sure our decision would be that I would fly and he would have his long holiday. If I didn't want to fly alone I would find someone else going the same way who was willing to keep me commpany.

You'll get it sorted now you are working on options/possibilties/what ifs. Enjoy your camping trip!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #25

Oklahoma
Thanks, all. We are still a long way from July 1st. Anything could happen.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #26

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Mike

FWIW our daughter had a destination wedding in a place we thought would be awful and inconvenient and it turned out absolutely fabulous!

Do what you need to do. Make sure you don't upset She Who Must Be Obeyed and prepare to have a great time

Congrats on marrying off the daughter. Hope your Son-In-Law is half as wonderful as what we got

Best to All

Denece
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #27

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Please Francesca, this is a family friendly site.

Sounds like a pretty friendly family to me!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
My daughter's destination wedding was on the shores of Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park. We all loved it!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would not mind one bit if my last daughter got married in a place like that, Jon.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #30

Oklahoma
Glacier is beautiful. But to make dozens of people who wish to attend travel 2000 or so miles 1 way... sure gets expensive.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You know, Mike...

Unless I missed it somewhere, I don't think you've said why they chose Oregon for the wedding. It does seem sort of senseless if practically everybody they know lives around where they do now..?

Francesca

P.S.

Not that there's anything wrong with getting married in Oregon- I did so myself- but that's where I'm from, and where most of my family lives.

And of course there's the fact of my Mother offering the use of her living room for the ceremony...we like "free"!

F.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Glacier is beautiful. But to make dozens of people who wish to attend travel 2000 or so miles 1 way... sure gets expensive.
Since both of them were already in Missoula, as well as most of their friends, (they were Masters students at the University of Montana & preparing for a 2 year stint in Cameroon with the Peace Corps) and both sets of parents wanted to make the trip (and turned it into a vacation) it wasn't too bad.

Everyone camped, & the reception was in the group campground. A long way from your typical wedding, but it fit my daughter & her husband to a "T". They are currently on a 4 year project promoting tourism in Gaborone, Botswana.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #33
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
this topic has run its course: Mike's grateful for the suggestion sand different ways if looking at the challenge(s), but now it's time to close this discussion and move on.

Thanks everyone for your participation!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Closed Thread