Thom and Cari's Parkliner - Page 25 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #481

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
The "toppers" we used in each of our builds are the 3" memory foam mattress toppers from Costco. Easy to come by and work well for us. The one in the PL is a queen size and was enough to cover all cushions.

: ) Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #482

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Thanks Frank and Thom, I will be looking for a topper...
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #483

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

Parkliner #35 headed out of the driveway this afternoon behind its new owner's tow rig.

Best wishes and many happy adventures...
From Thom & Cari
Old 10-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #484

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
End of an Era!

This 480+ post thread has been an absolute wealth of information. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and thoughts, and especially the solutions to the many challenges you faced. Keep us in mind in your future endeavors.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #485

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post

1) Purchase an appropriately sized gel/memory mattress topper.

2) Open up your stock cushions and remove the (most likely this is a typical cushion build thing) thinsulate/similar batting from foam cushion.

3) Cut a piece of memory foam to match cushion.

4) Put original cushion back in cover.

5) Roll / or wrangle the memory foam into cover on top of foam.

6) Sit or lay down and be amazed.

Thom,
Please specify thickness of memory foam topper. Thanx!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #486

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
End of an Era!

This 480+ post thread has been an absolutely wealth of information...
Thank you for the kind words. It is the end of a chapter in our lives for sure. Sort of got a bit of melancholy watching it drive off.

I will definitely be here on a near daily basis. As stated elsewhere, IMO there is a wealth of good info and fun peeps here.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #487

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Thom,
Please specify thickness of memory foam topper. Thanx!
Hi Brian, we used the 3" memory foam toppers from Costco. When the buyers were in the rig on today's pre-sale tour they really liked the cushions. It's no wonder many of the visitors had a hard time leaving at the last egg-fest open house ; )

Thom
Old 10-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #488

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Ah, somewhere in all these pages is my note about what we did for the entrance and screen door to help keep things clean on the floor...

Every now and again Costco has a road show event for "Miracle Mat". These things are great! We have a 20" x 30 " tan MM at the entrance. I took the screen door off the hinges and planed off ~3/8" of an inch off the bottom so the screen door would open with the MM in place. The mats can be tossed in a regular washer / dryer (even the RV washer we have in our big rig). We will clean it as needed and will be nice-as-new.

Here is a link to the same mat but at Amazon. If you happen to see Costco is having a road show the price is even lower.

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Door-M.../dp/B00JXXQL5I

We are crazy committed to these mats. We have four in our big-rig and one in the van.

Thom
Old 10-17-2015, 05:43 AM   #489

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Thom, it will seem strange to not see your PL posts, sure hope the new owners show up here. Good luck with you future endeavors, I'm glad to see you are going to stay with us.
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #490

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Michigan View Post
...sure hope the new owners show up here...
Hi Pat and THX : )

The new owners of PL#35 are new to the forum. . . a fun couple from the Southwest. I also hope they will share their adventures with us here at the forums. Their maiden voyage began last night at Fort Stevens State Park right down the road... of course it rained like all night! Good thing they have all those nice jalousie windows and MaxxFan to open up rain or shine.

Thom
Old 10-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #491
DJO

Name: DJO
Trailer: Parkliner #40 something
Colorado
Registry
Thom, thanks so very much for all the great help you've given us over the last couple of years. You, Deryk and of course the rest of the FRV community made such a big difference during our first scary year of owning a camper. Best wishes to you all!
DJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #492

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
And the Parkliner again from the end, barely noticable is the central trough:
I never noticed the trough on the Parkliner's roof before. With this design I wonder if it will allow water to puddle with potential for roof leaks as the Parkliners age? From what I have seen of them on here I really like them overall and dream of owning one some day, but that roof is something I will have to look at closer...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #493

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

DJO : ) THX for the Kudos and best wishes on your adventures and time spent with PL#40!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I never noticed the trough on the Parkliner's roof before...
Greetings Johnny. Good question.

The PL roof is what is called an "Anti-Trolley" roof line. Instead of the typical "Trolley" roof you see on many other FGRVs that takes its name from a street car "Trolley", such as this example:

The PL roofline is just the opposite... here is a side profile, you can see how all the vents nearly disappear:

...and still allows 6'4" headroom, with typically more usable space above since cabinets can now go all the way out to the extremes of floorplan as seen here:

This allows a more stealthy side profile with vents and such tucked down below the highest roof-line by about 6".
Here is a shot of PL#35 looking aft with the awning in use and MaxxFan open in rear:

As to water "Pooling" I've not seen any instance of that. AND : ) If anyone should have noticed water pooling on a roof it would be us at our soggy ~80" of annual rainfall ~ Oregon Coast. It just drains off the back.
Cheers,
Thom
Old 04-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #494

Astoria Oregon
Registry
as mentioned we had a few mods done to the van this winter. The below images show the rig with upgraded bumpers from Aluminess out of So.Cal that include a swing-toward-camp galley box on curb side and a swing-away 3 jerry can box (we have 10gal fresh water & 5gal of non-ethanol unleaded we can use in the van or in our multi-fuel campstove.)

The upcoming spring NOG will be the maiden voyage of the galley box. should be fun!

We spent the bulk of our two day's off this week prepping and then poliglow-ing the van's fiberglass roof. WOW does that thing shine in the sun. Looks better than when we picked it up new five years ago.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #495

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Lookin good Thom!
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #496

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Thanks for the VanKudos Frank !

The last two days we did a full Poliglow treatment on the roof. WOW! It honestly took the roof's appearance back to factory fresh. AMAZING.

Here is a copy/paste from a blog entry from my website I posted this morning:

When we began dreaming of converting a van into a camper, the options were basically; 1) Sprinter with a high-top, or 2) Chevy/Ford and add a fiberglass high-top. Since we also wanted AWD if possible, we went with the Chevy AWD cargo van and had Van Specialties install the 24″ Fiberine fiberglass top. This gave us ~5’10” headroom after headlining/insulation/lighting was installed. The inside of the rig after 5 years of camping/daily use has faired well and looks new. The fiberglass top? Not so much. Even with washings and an occasional wax it was showing its age.

Last year during a fiberglass RV gathering we met a fellow traveler that swore by a product called Poliglow. It was not a polisher or wax, rather a chemical coating that would typically last about a year and then a simple reapply to bring back the shine. And shine it does. Following the easy instructions took our dull white fiberglass roof back to looking-as-new.

The prep is really the only hard work, and I faired well without any aches after an afternoon of scrubbing the oxidation off (using their Poli OX product) and then took about 2 hours the following day to actually apply the Poli Glow product. And as you can see from this un-retouched photo there is serious shine going on!

We got the complete kit with the Poli Prep, Glow, mitt, and scrubber and then added the OX to the order as we knew the surface was oxidized. Looking around at pricing you may find that ordering direct from PG will yield favorable prices.

I highly recommend this product to any whishing to breathe new life into old fiberglass. There are also several good videos online showing the simple application process for those in research mode.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #497

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

Arrived back on the coast from visiting the eggFamily at the Spring NOG held at Waterloo County Park near Lebanon/Sweet Home Oregon. Had a fun time visiting and checking out the tweaks and mods on various eggs. There were?? 40 or so eggs? When walking the park you definitely knew that there was something going on with all the little white trailers!

Cari and I spent two nights before the event up Quartzville Drive (~30 minutes from the park) in our favorite dispersed/BLM camping area. No body around for probably a mile or so.

Also happy to see that BLM still has the area near the boat ramps closed to camping near where the Santiam River drops into Green Peter Lake...they had totally trashed the area with their partying and lack of care for land/area.

Attached Thumbnails
2016-04QC01.jpg  
Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #498

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Arrived back on the coast from visiting the eggFamily at the Spring NOG held at Waterloo County Park near Lebanon/Sweet Home Oregon. Had a fun time visiting and checking out the tweaks and mods on various eggs. There were?? 40 or so eggs? When walking the park you definitely knew that there was something going on with all the little white trailers!

Cari and I spent two nights before the event up Quartzville Drive (~30 minutes from the park) in our favorite dispersed/BLM camping area. No body around for probably a mile or so.

Also happy to see that BLM still has the area near the boat ramps closed to camping near where the Santiam River drops into Green Peter Lake...they had totally trashed the area with their partying and lack of care for land/area.

Sounds like you two are having fun Thom. Good for you! Safe travels ahead.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner