Thought for the day - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #41

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I retired at 56, my wife was to retire the next year,but she passed away instead(flu!). So I started substitute teaching at the local school district. I did that for 6 years, then my daughter needed me(divorce and some major medical issues with my grandson). My trailer doesn't get the usage I had planned, but 'one day', I will hit the road. I have never regretted early retirement-it has given me the time to help family. Last year, I started extending my journeys back and forth between Utah and California-taking longer routes each time. Last month it took a week (what should only take 10 hours), and it was enjoyable.Norm and Ginny-you guys are a breath of fresh air-keep telling us what you are doing-please!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #42

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!
(The best laid schemes of Mice and Men
oft go awry,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
For promised joy!)

~Robert Burns, To a Mouse (Poem, November, 1785)
Scottish national poet (1759 - 1796)

In other words, "No matter how carefully a project is planned, even though we plan to the best of our ability, something may still go wrong."

It implies to some that "No matter how well you plan something, 'stuff' happens." So relax and get over it, it isn't the end of the world.

But it is about his plowing a field and accidentally turning over and ruining the nest of a small field mouse at a time of year when it's impossible for the mouse to rebuild.

In the poem Burns tries to reassure the frightened mouse that he meant no harm and likens the plight of the mouse to his own life of struggle. It is a sad but hauntingly beautiful poem.

The phrase means that whether you are a man or a mouse your plans are subject to outside forces and will be subject to change and disruption.

We often hear the quote as 'the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry'. The poem actually says, "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley.", having been written in Scots rather than English.

When the final stanza is considered, the sentiment expressed is in fact the opposite, thus;

Still thou art blest, compar'd wi' me
The present only toucheth thee:
But, Och! I backward cast my e'e.
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #43

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Adrian,

Very nice, something to learn every day.

Things do go wrong, no doubt. Dealing with adversity is simply part of life however planning can reduce the probability of bad outcomes.

Thanks for the poetic post

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Once the ACA takes effect next year, you may be able to buy subsidized health insurance based on your taxable income, which can be quite low if you are living off after-tax investments.

Obamacare makes it really easy for millionaires to retire early?

Fellow forum members -This is not a political statement - please don't take it there.
More like "please don't follow me there!"
To paraphrase Nancy... I guess we'll just have to wait 'til it's implemented to find out what's really in it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #45

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Hi Norm and Ginny,

Thank you for your lovely post, which inspired a lot of people to have a look. I have a good job that I started at 45, and will be retiring in summer 2014 at 60 with a modest but sustainable pension and health care applicable outside of Canada. The youngest of our 5 children heads off to college next fall, the rest are all through and living independently. My wife (who retired last year) and I hope to travel a lot in the US with the trailer, and some international travel without the trailer to see the places we have always wanted to see. My wife’s first husband died from a heart attack at 45, my grandfathers both died before 63 (though my dad lived to 82 in good health the whole time), and so we are well aware of the desire to have fun while we still can... We plan to take a month to go to the Huntsman world senior games in Utah with the trailer this fall (I play ball and ping pong). 4 weeks will be a good indication of whether life in the trailer is practical for us.

We “plan” to sell the house and move to a smaller place either near home or at the west coast (where I lived for many years and we have relatives), and “plan” to travel for much of the winters while we have our health, but we will see. I have always told my kids that it is essential to have plans. Plans never actually work out the way you thought they would, but without them you don’t do anything. The trick is to accept the changes that come along the way and make the most of it.

Thanks,
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #46

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Good food for thought Norm. My husband retired at 60 and I quit working a little before that. I was a little concerned. Even though we had been saving for a long time in preparation for retirement I wasn't quite sure we had saved enough, but my husband convinced me that we should do the things we want to do now while we were able to because you never know what the future will bring and tomorrow may be too late. We have a good friend who tells us whenever we go off on a long trip, "Oh, I wish I could do that, but I need to keep working. I can't afford to retire yet". I think sometimes people just don't want to make any sacrifices. For example, they might have a big expensive house, but just can't imagine downsizing to something smaller and more economical. Or they really want that big, big high def TV. Or they can't imagine not going out to dinner every Friday night. What we discovered was that if we were willing to live frugally when we're at home we could travel quite a bit. I'm really glad we took the plunge! The experiences we're having are way more valuable than any material possessions we might have accumulated had we kept working a few more years.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #47

Florida
Evergreengirl,
In part it comes down to choices.

Ginny and I gave up additional income, two vehicles, (we had already gave up a large house) and medical insurance security.

We made a rather significant change in our life focus.

We choose adventure and each other. As well, I think without choosing, we embraced the new possibilities offered by the RV lifestyle.

We've managed to figure out how to live happily in 92 square feet. How not to need so much and at the same time be happier with less stuff.

We have met so many nice people RVing. I just read Byron and Anne's winter trip. It sound great. Unfortunately the talent of these two RVers did not appear in their summary for both are talented artists and craft people.

Our travels have brought us in contact with many wonderful people, in many ways different than those of our past.

In some measure they have a different perspective on fun.

We've been home for 2 weeks with 4 weeks to go before we're back on the road. Can't wait for our next Newfie trip.

Safe travels....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #48

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Now this is going back more then 10 years ago, but I remmeber my mother telling me about her cousin... was married when she was younger and got divorced in her 30's. Met a real nice guy who wasn't interested in marriage. He ahd his own funeral parlour upstate NY... they collected classic cars went to rendezvous dressed like the 50's and had a blast for many years. He died very suddenly in his 60's and she developed breast cancer and went pretty quick too.

The family was all complaining how she was broke that they had no big savings for the future... they lived for the "now" and the family couldn't understand that. I always liked them and was envious of doing what you enjoy for as long as you can. None of us know how long we have.

My first boy friend died of brain cancer in his early 20's...we always talked about doing some stuff, ya know when we are older. Well sometimes that day doesn't come.

I try to thoroughly enjoy every day and get away as often as possible...makes sense to me.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #49

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Was just watching the news tonight and saw one of my students charged as an adult in a gang slaying. A few months ago it was one of my students getting killed. Killing or being killed it seems it happens more every year. Have I ever mentioned that I NEED TO RETIRE! Those of you who teach or have taught know what I'm feeling.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #50

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Im sorry Steve...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #51

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Cool

"My wife (who retired last year) and I hope to travel a lot in the US with the trailer, and some international travel without the trailer to see the places we have always wanted to see. We plan to take a month to go to the Huntsman world senior games in Utah with the trailer this fall (I play ball and ping pong). 4 weeks will be a good indication of whether life in the trailer is practical for us.
We “plan” to sell the house and move to a smaller place either near home or at the west coast (where I lived for many years and we have relatives), and “plan” to travel for much of the winters while we have our health, but we will see."

Hi Rick, that sounds idyllic, but like many things that are too good to be true, this may be too. The US tax law has changed in the last couple of years, effectively limiting how long we Canadians can spend down there. It's a complicated formula that assesses how many days you have spent in the US to determine if your Canadian income is subject to US federal tax. The effective limit, if you spend winters in the US over three consecutive years, is 120 days annually. More than average, taken in a three years span, means Uncle Sam will have his hand in your pocket. I am NOT a tax lawyer or accountant, but suggest you make your plans in conjunction with someone who is.
Best wishes for your retirement and I cannot recommend the Wet Coast highly enough.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #52

Florida
Rick,
I don't believe Canadians are limited by duration of days they can stay in the USA by our laws but generally by their provincial medical plans.

Canadians pay no US taxes unless they're here longer than a 1/2 year or unless they are working in the US.

We have many friends who spend 6 months here but are back in 6 months to keep their provincial med plans.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #53

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Rick,
I don't believe Canadians are limited by duration of days they can stay in the USA by our laws but generally by their provincial medical plans.
Oh yes we are limited. 6 months.

Edit to add: You must also be able to prove you have a permanent residents outside of the US and the means to support yourself for the duration of your stay, should you be asked.

Second edit to correct the length of stay.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think it actually might be one day less than six months.
One day can be critical.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #55

Registry
Just checked its actually 182 days in a 12-month period. Every day spent in the U.S. through out a 12 month period (doesnt reset on Jan 1) counts – even a one day shopping trip or touching down in the US while travelling between other destinations – counts. Owning property in the US also doesn’t increase the maximum number of days a Canadian may stay each year in the U.S. either.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Have I ever mentioned that I NEED TO RETIRE! Those of you who teach or have taught know what I'm feeling.
Steve I bow down to you!!! No way could I be a teacher. I just spent 5 days working at an international youth ski race (normally work adult pro races). We had 450 athletes all between 12 and 16 years of age. Man I was tired by the end of it - was a real test of my patience!! LOL Enough to remind me why straps or canes in school were used in the "old days" LOL and what a shame it is they cant still be used today Funny enough the European athletes & parents where on a whole far easier to deal with than many of our NA children & parents. Oh the parents! oh my that created a whole different set of challenges! I love kids and take them camping with me often but honestly no way could I handle a large group of them on a daily bases - especially those that you have little control over what their parents teach them in regards to manners! Nor would I be able to handle dealing with parents daily who feel their child is so special they shouldn't need to follow the same rules as the rest. Gurrrrrr In the future I think I will stick with working with the little racers under 10 years of age who always make me smile even when having their little melt downs or the over 17 crowd.

You deserve a really big pay increase and a humanitarian award.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #57

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Thanks Carol, I appreciate the sentiment. Retirement is coming, eventually.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #58

Florida
Carol, It appears you are correct about the 182 day rule. I was attempting to de-bunk the 120 days over 3 year statement in a previous post.

It appears in reality that Canadians are less monitored than people from other countries and frequently stay for longer periods without penalty.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It appears in reality that Canadians are less monitored than people from other countries and frequently stay for longer periods without penalty.
That used to be back in the days when we only need a drivers license to visit the USA but since the border crossing have gone high tech with sharing of info by both countries and passports are needed to cross and are scanned - only a fool would stay longer.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #60

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only child I like is my own... seriously. And I don't think I was ever a kid

Thank goodness for teachers! Steve, I've held a job most can't do or won't... but, I'd NEVER do your job.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote