Three Foot-itis and an Upcoming Visit To Scamp - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Three Foot-itis and an Upcoming Visit To Scamp

We *think* that we have decided to sell our little 13 foot Scamp sometime after camping season ends, maybe next June. Our kids just will not stop growing so we are looking at getting a Scamp 16 layout 7 with the front bunks and side dinette. Next week we will be near Backus, MN, so we have an appointment to tour the factory and it's quite possible we will put a down payment on a new, built to order Scamp.

I can't decide whether I'm terribly sad to move out of our sweet little egg, or incredibly excited to purchase one exactly to our specs. I guess once we've been inside a larger egg, we'll know for sure if that's direction we want to go.

We ARE really excited to go visit the factory, though. They sent us the brochure and so we've been looking at all the options and trying to make decisions based on what will fit our camping style, not just now, but down the line, because if we buy new, we are buying for longevity. We would definitely consider a used one if we could find a layout 7, but those seem hard to find. (rear dinette, side dinette, front bunks)

Any can't live withouts? We camp very simply- our current Scamp doesn't have air, furnace or fridge (just an icebox, which I actually love), and we haven't missed those items.

Also, brakes are standard on a 16...we don't currently have brakes. Does one need a brake controller or they just work once hooked to the tow?

Sway bars/stablizers? Are those necessary for a 16 foot Scamp (we tow with a Toyota Highlander, 5000# tow capacity.)

Thank you! I'll keep you all posted on what we decide once we've been to the factory! Can't wait to look at all those little eggs!
__________________

emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Administrator
 
Mary F's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Posts: 10,284
Registry
Quote:
Also, brakes are standard on a 16...we don't currently have brakes. Does one need a brake controller or they just work once hooked to the tow?
Does your Highlander have a tow package? If so, the brake controller might be part of that. (It is on our F-150. I actually have no idea about what the Highlander's pkg includes.)
__________________

__________________
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
________________________________
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Does your Highlander have a tow package? If so, the brake controller might be part of that. (It is on our F-150. I actually have no idea about what the Highlander's pkg includes.)
Oh it does!! Thank you! I'll check into that!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Paul O.'s Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Oh it does!! Thank you! I'll check into that!
You may not have the brake controller, but there will definitely be a connector meant to plug one in, somewhere under the dash. It should be pretty easy. I assume that your TV has the 7 pin connector. The brake controller's function is adjusting the braking action so that the trailer brakes take care of the trailer and don't allow it to push or pull the TV.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
You may not have the brake controller, but there will definitely be a connector meant to plug one in, somewhere under the dash. It should be pretty easy. I assume that your TV has the 7 pin connector. The brake controller's function is adjusting the braking action so that the trailer brakes take care of the trailer and don't allow it to push or pull the TV.
I just finished looking it up. Toyota Highlander 2011 with tow package comes ready to be wired for a 4-pin connector, which is what we currently have. To use trailer brakes, you have to buy a Universal Installation Kit for brake controller that adapts the 4-pin to a 7-pin then ALSO get the Brake Controller. I think my dad can install it for us (Yay for handy dads!!) All the wiring is supposedly available under the dash, as you suggested! Thank you
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Posts: 3,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
I just finished looking it up. Toyota Highlander 2011 with tow package comes ready to be wired for a 4-pin connector, which is what we currently have. To use trailer brakes, you have to buy a Universal Installation Kit for brake controller that adapts the 4-pin to a 7-pin then ALSO get the Brake Controller. I think my dad can install it for us (Yay for handy dads!!) All the wiring is supposedly available under the dash, as you suggested! Thank you
Don't believe an adapter will work for the brakes. Etrailer has many great videos of installations and may have your exact year tug too.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: Catherine
Trailer: Escape 17B sold, 19 on order
Colorado
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
We *think* that we have decided to sell our little 13 foot Scamp sometime after camping season ends, maybe next June. Our kids just will not stop growing so we are looking at getting a Scamp 16 layout 7 with the front bunks and side dinette. Next week we will be near Backus, MN, so we have an appointment to tour the factory and it's quite possible we will put a down payment on a new, built to order Scamp.

I can't decide whether I'm terribly sad to move out of our sweet little egg, or incredibly excited to purchase one exactly to our specs. I guess once we've been inside a larger egg, we'll know for sure if that's direction we want to go.

We ARE really excited to go visit the factory, though. They sent us the brochure and so we've been looking at all the options and trying to make decisions based on what will fit our camping style, not just now, but down the line, because if we buy new, we are buying for longevity. We would definitely consider a used one if we could find a layout 7, but those seem hard to find. (rear dinette, side dinette, front bunks)

Any can't live withouts? We camp very simply- our current Scamp doesn't have air, furnace or fridge (just an icebox, which I actually love), and we haven't missed those items.

Also, brakes are standard on a 16...we don't currently have brakes. Does one need a brake controller or they just work once hooked to the tow?

Sway bars/stablizers? Are those necessary for a 16 foot Scamp (we tow with a Toyota Highlander, 5000# tow capacity.)

Thank you! I'll keep you all posted on what we decide once we've been to the factory! Can't wait to look at all those little eggs!
Hi Emily,
Congratulations! We got our 16 layout 4 in June. Where are you in CO? We are in Denver and happy to show you ours if you are anywhere close. We did not get the AC, the fan seems to do just fine in the Rockies and was great crossing Nebraska on the way home. It is cozy for the 2 of us plus 2 60# dogs, but quite doable.
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 6,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Don't believe an adapter will work for the brakes. Etrailer has many great videos of installations and may have your exact year tug too.
On my 2008 RAV4 the trailer wiring is under the rear of the vehicle with a 4-pin to 4-pin connection. It continues up into the area behind the left tail/turn signal. There is a small box in that space, sitting loose, wires in and out heading to the 7-pin connection at the rear of the vehicle.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,604
Registry
My can't live withouts are all on your list of easy to live without. Just shows how everyone is different!

We like to travel out west, and a lot of the west can be HOT. It was 102F in St George, UT when we were there in the middle of May this year. Even if it is not that hot, AC makes a camper so much more comfortable. Without AC, trips need to be planned around avoiding hotter areas for sure. Much of Colorado is plenty hot this time of year. And of course, traveling across the plains states can be really hot: NE, KS, etc., really depends on the time of year and a little luck.

Yes, you are going to need a brake controller and wiring for a seven pin plug (not an adapter). Should not be a big deal.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
Hi Emily,
Congratulations! We got our 16 layout 4 in June. Where are you in CO? We are in Denver and happy to show you ours if you are anywhere close. We did not get the AC, the fan seems to do just fine in the Rockies and was great crossing Nebraska on the way home. It is cozy for the 2 of us plus 2 60# dogs, but quite doable.
Hi! We are in SE Aurora, almost Parker. Thank you so much for the offer! We've been in a layout 4 - met someone in a campground once with one! I love hearing that you think the fan is enough - that is what we are thinking, too!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Dave - thanks for the info on etrailers. Watched some of their videos and you are correct! They list a part number for the seven pin and the brake controller specifically for a 2011 Highlander. I printed off the info!

Glenn - Thank you for that description of where to look. I'm going to have my dad take a look at it. He's a "car guy" and can figure it out, but this will get him started!

Bill - You are absolutely right! Can't live withouts tend to be personal Having grown up in Nebraska, we have sweltered it out many, many times...which is one reason we keep going back on forth regarding A/C Thank you for making it sound like switching to the seven pin should be easy! That's what we were hoping!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:05 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Posts: 3,739
Glad you were able to get the info you need. I've dealt with Etrailer a few times and they have been great. I've never found another company like them that have so many videos on a lot of items that make it easy for folks to get a hands on "eyeball" instruction guide.....sure beats the printed ones. When I installed my controller, their video was exactly my truck other than the color and tranny.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 8,517
Registry
Emily, I sure appreciate the furnace on ours. Haven't used it much, but it's saved a couple of trips.

I hear you about AC. On a cross country trip in the summer it would sure be nice, but since we plan local trips around mild weather, most of the time it would be dead weight and ugly all the time. No advice there.

Fantastic fan, screen door, silverware drawer, and 12V charging outlet would be on my short list. City water, maybe.

I might delete all the curtain rods. There are ways to hang them without all those rivets. I've also thought I'd see if they would delete finish flooring, and I'd install my own. I don't care for either the vinyl or carpet Scamp uses.

Tell us how the factory tour goes. Always wanted to, but the odds are unlikely I'll ever get to Backus.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Emily, I sure appreciate the furnace on ours. Haven't used it much, but it's saved a couple of trips.

I hear you about AC. On a cross country trip in the summer it would sure be nice, but since we plan local trips around mild weather, most of the time it would be dead weight and ugly all the time. No advice there.

Fantastic fan, screen door, silverware drawer, and 12V charging outlet would be on my short list. City water, maybe.

I might delete all the curtain rods. There are ways to hang them without all those rivets. I've also thought I'd see if they would delete finish flooring, and I'd install my own. I don't care for either the vinyl or carpet Scamp uses.

Tell us how the factory tour goes. Always wanted to, but the odds are unlikely I'll ever get to Backus.
Your short list items are on our list. We couldn't live without the screen door! I think a fantastic fan could give us the air flow we need without the AC cost, weight and install.

We haven't decided on city water hook ups yet. I'm so weird about water, that I don't see us using that, either, but we are trying to think long term, so the day might come when it makes sense.

I hadn't even thought about asking them to leave out the flooring option! We want to do the Allure Laminate regardless, so thank you for making me think about that. And I hadn't thought about leaving out the curtain rods, but I do like the idea of less rivets. Hmmm....

Will definitely report back after our tour. We are pretty excited to visit!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 8,517
Registry
Three Foot-itis and an Upcoming Visit To Scamp

I'm the same about the city water. Like the shore power plug, we never use it, but that could change or the next owner might want it, and it's an inexpensive item that doesn't add much weight. Is it on the wrong side of the trailer on 16'ers, though?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
rdickens's Avatar
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Posts: 558
Three Foot-itis and an Upcoming Visit To Scamp

Emily,



In early February, we made the move from our beloved 2014 Scamp13 (with

the 54" bed) to a 2017 Scamp16 Deluxe Layout A with front sofa and bunk

beds (instead of the front dinette). Trading the normal front dinette for

the front sofa and bunk beds was a no-charge upgrade/change.



Because we really liked the 54" bed in our Scamp13, we made the decision

to go to the Deluxe Scamp 16 (AFAIK the standard/molded Scamp16s still

only offer the 44" bed). Since it appears that you currently have the 44"

bed, the larger bed may not be on your "must have" list, but (with a growing

family) it might be good to know that you can have the larger rear bed and

still have the sofa bunk beds.



With our Scamp13, we once actually slept 5 in the trailer for a couple of

nights. My 12yo grandson slept on the top bunk, I slept on the bottom bunk,

and my wife and 2 granddaughters (12yo & 10yo) slept in the 54" wide

double bed.



We usually eat outside when possible, but we have the option of putting a

small table in front of the sofa and eating indoor meals there when we leave

the rear bed made up. The side bathroom in the Scamp16D-A is smaller

than the front bathroom in the Scamp16D-B, but we don't spend much time

in there and the Scamp16D-A gives us quite a bit more storage space.



Along with the bathroom and the closet, we also gained more counter space

and a larger refrigerator with a freezer compartment. As with the Scamp13,

we omitted the furnace (a small space heater works great), the awning (we

use a CLAM Quickset screen room/tent), and the top-mounted AC unit (on

the rare circumstances when we need AC, we put a normal/household

5,000 BTU window AC unit in the back sliding window of the Scamp.)



Pix of our trailer can be found in the following Google drive folder:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...EVhNVo1VHQ0WFU



The Scamp16D-A weighed in at about 2250 lbs (without camping gear & food).

The cost for the Deluxe16 + options package was just barely under

$20,000. Our salesman was Wayne Pitlick.



Best of luck with your decisions!



Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,604
Registry
The thing about what you use, how long are your trips? Say your trips are relatively short and close to home. And maybe you often go to the same short list of campgrounds. This was the case when we lived in western WA.

We are now at a different stage in life. Our trips are much longer both in time and distance. All of a sudden, stuff that might not have been that important become important. Water, A/C, bathroom, whatever. When we camped in western WA, pretty much all of our camping was primitive. No power, no water, no sewer. We did use the fresh water tank, batteries, and propane a lot. We really only used 110 when the trailer was home. Even then, 110 was important to run a dehumidifier, start up the refrigerator, etc.

Our last trip was 8,200 miles and a month long. We saw all extremes of weather, from about 25F to 105F. And we saw all kinds of camping, from full hookup to boondocking.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Ray - Thank you so much for sharing your experience moving from a 13 foot to 16 foot Scamp! We LOVE our little egg, so it's been quite the decision to try and make. I appreciate your input and your willingness to share!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The thing about what you use, how long are your trips? Say your trips are relatively short and close to home. And maybe you often go to the same short list of campgrounds. This was the case when we lived in western WA.

We are now at a different stage in life. Our trips are much longer both in time and distance. All of a sudden, stuff that might not have been that important become important. Water, A/C, bathroom, whatever. When we camped in western WA, pretty much all of our camping was primitive. No power, no water, no sewer. We did use the fresh water tank, batteries, and propane a lot. We really only used 110 when the trailer was home. Even then, 110 was important to run a dehumidifier, start up the refrigerator, etc.

Our last trip was 8,200 miles and a month long. We saw all extremes of weather, from about 25F to 105F. And we saw all kinds of camping, from full hookup to boondocking.
This is EXACTLY why we are thinking and rethinking options. Currently we camp locally about 6-7 times a year - Colorado mountains, Utah, Nebraska. We take a 10-14 day trip once a year, which is typcially 2000-3000 miles round trip, depending on where we go (we are trying to visit all of the National Parks ) Our current, simple set up works for that.

That being said, as our kids graduate and move out, we plan to travel extensively, 2-3 weeks at a time, multiple times a year, possibly more like 2-3 months at a time once we retire. So the very things you've listed DO require more discussion. Thank you for sharing your point of view.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm the same about the city water. Like the shore power plug, we never use it, but that could change or the next owner might want it, and it's an inexpensive item that doesn't add much weight. Is it on the wrong side of the trailer on 16'ers, though?
I don't know! Another question for me to add to the list I'm making of questions to ask and things to look at! Thank you!
__________________

emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3' Itis or Size Matters Bob Miller General Chat 11 12-30-2015 06:28 AM
'4 ft itis' Dave and Kathie General Chat 34 11-22-2013 02:48 PM
The End of 4-foot-itis David and Nancy General Chat 2 08-23-2012 12:10 AM
Three way LP three burner/grill bonnie w Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 07-02-2007 04:45 PM
"Two Foot-itis"? Cam A General Chat 22 05-10-2007 03:02 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×