Thrift Stores - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #21

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We used it and our Dahon for a week with the intention of donating it back when we left. Instead we found a nice 10 year old girl at the campground who needed a bike and gave it to her when we left.
Now that was a good donation and that girl will remember for years to come. I'd betcha you may have started a "Pay it forward".
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #22

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
For camping, the long discontinued Rubbermaid plates, bowls and mugs are one of my favorite thrift store finds. Then too, genuine copper bottom stainless Revereware has been nice too... their coffee percolator is hard to beat and the smaller skillets work so very well on a camp stove or the burners in my little Burro. Yep, thrift stores make camping with style in reach for the (thoughtful) masses!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #23

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
20 years ago, we bought a set of patio chairs and a lounge chair for the family lake cabin. They were on clearance at Kmart, and there was no table to match. They're still in great condition, and we wished we had more.
Recently, my niece was packing for a move to South America, and needed lots of luggage. We went to the thrift store and there was the matching glass-top picnic table plus 4 more chairs, like new and all for $70. My sister still laughs at me for calling to ask whether to get them or not.
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Thrift Stores are about the only place to find the good quality small tea kettles that are perfect of RV use. If they still look usable after a few years use, they are usually pretty good quality. I always check for them.

In smaller local charity shops, don't be afraid to make an offer if you think the price is to high. Money in the till is always better than stock on the floor.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
I have a five dollar WallyWorld wok in my trailer. It's rim spans near 14 inches -we use it as our big all-purpose pot. Been searching for a few months but have not found a glass lid for the thing... oh sure, unless you are willing to spend $60+ for one.

Finally, at a Good Will store (the 5th one). There it was, no, not a glass lid, but a 14 inch heavy glass plate for a microwave oven, the kind that spins around after you set your dish upon it. $2bucks.

Have not yet gotten up the nerve to drill a hole for a knob, yet.
I paid a glass shop $5 to drill a 3/8th hole in a decorative glass jar to make a lamp. Easy for them using diamond drill bits.....

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #26

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Hey, Myron....what about high heat epoxy in stead of drilling in that lid?

I grew up on thrift stores. My paternal grandmother called them Jot 'em Down Stores. I loved Saturdays with her browsing the town's thrift stores. I particularly remember as a teen in the late 60's a Saks 5th Ave Cashmere jacket and a beautiful wool skirt that was long enough I remade it into a mini skirt and vest.

When we first married a lot of our kitchen items...dish drainer, rolling pin, etc came from the local thrift store in Oxnard.

My daughter shops them all the time for kid's school clothes and now days they're often brand new as the major stores have hopped on the wagon unloading last season's new clothes. It's win-win for everybunny.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Macklemore has a song about this.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #28

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I love thrift stores! Our house has many an item in it that came form a thrift store. I pretty much outfitted our trailer when we first got it with stuff from the thrift store - pots and pans, dishes, silverware, etc. The trick is to not go looking for anything specific but to keep your eyes open for things that might be useful to you. On our travels, we often stop in at thrift stores along the way just to see what we might find.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:23 AM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Have'nt done a lot of thrift stores but some. For about twenty years I did the garage sale and swap meets every weekend. Used to resell a lot on Ebay just as a hobby. Picked up a few things for camping but mostly looked for tools. How about a 100' RV 10 guage extention cord for $25 .
As they say...one persons junk is......
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote