TICKS! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #21

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
For the ultimate defense, combine the repellents with permethrine treated clothing:

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/am...ith-permethrin
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #22

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
You don't get infected by a tick crawling on you. It has to be attached for hours (6 to 24 or even 36 hours depending on which expert is asked) to transmit Lyme disease.

The main thing to do is check yourself thoroughly whenever in tick territory. The problem is most Lyme disease is caused by bites from tiny ticks (nymph stage) and their bites are usually painless and go unnoticed.

Sometimes the bite results in a bulls-eye rash. About 10 years ago I got the rash and never knew I had been bitten by a tick. I had a round of antibiotics and that took care of problem. I did have the Western Blot test later and it was negative.

Wash clothes in hot water and take a hot shower.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
You don't get infected by a tick crawling on you. It has to be attached for hours (6 to 24 or even 36 hours depending on which expert is asked) to transmit Lyme disease.

The main thing to do is check yourself thoroughly whenever in tick territory. The problem is most Lyme disease is caused by bites from tiny ticks (nymph stage) and their bites are usually painless and go unnoticed.

Sometimes the bite results in a bulls-eye rash. About 10 years ago I got the rash and never knew I had been bitten by a tick. I had a round of antibiotics and that took care of problem. I did have the Western Blot test later and it was negative.

Wash clothes in hot water and take a hot shower.
All good advice except that hot shower and wash will not kill ticks (unless maybe its hot enough to kill you also ). A shower might or might not rinse them off if they are not attached but if attached they will not be affected by a shower. For any in clothing or bedding, a hot dryer for long enough (as I mentioned) above will dry them out and that kills them.

My friend with years of chronic Lyme and tick borne co-infections also never knew she was bit and had no rash. The nymph is truly so small that its hard to detect even when attached. I again suggest further reading from the CDC and other authoritative sources.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #24

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
The bugger was loose and had not bitten me, otherwise I would probably been the "Booby Hatch"!
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #25

Michigan
Lots of Answers

Sorry to all for not getting back, we were traveling all day yesterday to Pennsylvania, today dealing with a really sick Hubby. He overdid it at son's house and came down with a nasty cold.

Well the tick had not bitten me, but there are two attached to my little Chihuahau, it will have to fall off because there is NO Messing around with Snickers, he'll bite us if we try to get that tick off him. He is medicated with flea and tick meds, so I guess the tick may be off now.

I have not seen any others on the big dog.

Thanks to all for the advice. We enjoyed the Brad Paisley song, had a good laugh.

No shortage of comedians here on the forum
Old 04-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #26

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Purchase some citronella in the form of an essential oil and add it to your favorite shampoo/body wash. It does smell nice and it keeps away the fleas, ticks, gnats and mosquitoes too. I would not go camping in the woods without using it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #27

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
I have had my house infested with ticks and was thinking about just moving. I spotted one in my dog, removed it, and then forgot about it. In a matter of weeks, they were everywhere. After they “hatch” they need a blood host to get to the next stage of tick life. If they don’t find a blood host, they will die. However, if they have passed into reproduction age, they can live a long time with out a blood host. If you want a non-toxic way of preventing/eradicating ticks in your environment, a proven way is using food grade diatomaceous earth. This is what I use in my van and I’ve no problems with any insects. You can google it, but the general mode of action is this: the molecular structure of food grade DE is sharp and almost glasslike. These molecules perforate the insects exo-skeleton, leading to death by dehydration since they are unable to maintain fluid homeostasis. DE is harmless to people and pets, but you need to make sure you purchase food grade. There is a spreading tick borne disease that causes severe neurological injury and a fairly high fatality rate. There have only been about 50 or so recorded cases, but who know how many undiagnosed? These have been recorded in the northeast and Midwest US. I take ticks very seriously. I also use an 8 month Saresto collar on my dog, on top of her monthly Trifexis.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
After I killed some ticks by heat, I looked at them under a decent microscope. They do not "bite". They push their harpoon-like proboscis into the skin, and they are stuck. It has barbs that are like porcupine quills and it has to be ripped out and some damage to the skin is inevitable. Now comes the kicker - I surmise that when they are done with you, they release some enzyme that dissolves the skin and they fall off. That enzyme is my idea, since they do not seem to have a way to pull that harpoon out otherwise. Maybe they do and somebody else has the authoritative answer. I would love to know.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #29

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
... They crawl up on blades of grass or twigs of bushes and extend their hooked front legs, waiting for you to brush by, be picked up... ...
Just the other day, I learned from a veterinary pathologist "tick expert" that this tick behavior is known as "questing." I realize that won't bring peace of mind to anyone who discovers a tick on their body, but at least you'll sound knowledgeable of how you acquired the tick when you go see your doctor for treatment or tell your friends about it around the campfire.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
"See my new pet tick? He was on a quest when he found me!"
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #31

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Sounds like a great recipe. I think I will give it a try, I find that old family recipes like this one are real treasures ! Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #32

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
After I killed some ticks by heat, I looked at them under a decent microscope. They do not "bite". They push their harpoon-like proboscis into the skin, and they are stuck. It has barbs that are like porcupine quills and it has to be ripped out and some damage to the skin is inevitable. Now comes the kicker - I surmise that when they are done with you, they release some enzyme that dissolves the skin and they fall off. That enzyme is my idea, since they do not seem to have a way to pull that harpoon out otherwise. Maybe they do and somebody else has the authoritative answer. I would love to know.
Here's more than you ever wanted to know, that is, if you want to know:
Here’s What Happens When A Tick Bites You – Phenomena: Not Exactly Rocket Science
The article doesn't address it releasing.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #33

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Still working in the woods of the Mountains of Maine and New Hampshire and haven't seen a tick yet....that's yet. Don't know how those little buggers can live through a winter with over 10 feet of snow but they do and they will be out soon.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #34

Michigan
We have been back home for almost a week now and the ticks are a thing of the past. Here on our little island ticks are few and far between. BUT the deer are swimming over from the mainland and they do bring them. ugh, hate the buggers.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #35

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Amazing that any deer would be so motivated to swim all that way.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #36

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Angry Tick check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
And she asked that no one make it worse by telling horror stories, and still you went there.
Some years ago now I found after a walk in the boondocks an evening 'tick check' with my partner spiced up our married life. We're really older now and I just spray on a DEET repellent onto my pants. Not as much fun though.
Burrorojo
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #37

Name: Donna
Trailer: LOOKING
North Carolina
Ticks--wear DEET

If you're out in nature, good idea to spray with Deet to keep off ticks--I do this even in my backyard, because there are def ticks there, too, and, especially with the different diseases they carry, I'd much rather be safe.
donnalef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In the spring of 2009, on the way home from picking up our new Scamp in Minnesota, we took a short hike in the grasslands of Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. It was a windy spring day, and when we got back from a 1-2 hour hike, my wife and I counted more than 70 ticks on our clothes or bodies -- some already permanently installed, some still just out for a stroll. In 2 decades of living in southern Indiana/Kentucky area in my youth, I've pulled off many dozen ticks. Obviously, lyme disease is a concern, but ticks are just a part of living outdoors in some seasons and parts of the world. You run a MUCH greater risk by simply driving to the campground, but that clearly doesn't keep you home.
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #39

Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
Cats and Lyme Disease

I got my first tick ever about a month ago here in PA on a hike in the woods. You won't feel it when they bite so Brad Paisley is right. Pulled it off from my belly within a few hours but went to the doc anyway next morning to get the one time antibiotic. Definitely nothing to ignore! If you have or travel with cats they can get ticks but our vet told us they are immune to Lyme Disease. Someone somewhere is researching that right now!
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #40

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
We ran into tiny ticks around the Devils tower last year. I did not count them but there were quite a few on us. I just asked my wife what the name of the tower was and she asked why. So she helped with the name and also a new name for the ticks, said for me to look up poppy seed muffin ticks.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/09/cdc-ap...ick-nightmare/
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote