Time to head South from North Dakota - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

We would have left Today-Saturday, but it was so windy up here yesterday and today we decieded to wait till tomorrow. We were able to spend some time with our 2 yr old grandaughter, got to see our just born granddaughter in the time up here. We have been here over a month, time to let them have their time to themselves. Our plan is to make a short hop to T. Roosevelt Nat'l Park North Unit, spend a night. Let the rest of the way home be decieded on the way. Not sure just how fast a trip we will do going home.

AW
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
After living in Langdon, ND for a full year, I can say with authority that you spent the whole summer in ND.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
After living in Langdon, ND for a full year, I can say with authority that you spent the whole summer in ND.
OH! DON"T say that! We'll be hitting ND in August! Should we expect "fall" there?

Jen

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #4

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
OH! DON"T say that! We'll be hitting ND in August! Should we expect "fall" there?

Jen
FYI - I was just in Mt. Carmel for the wknd. with my 77 SurfSide and I believe I spotted the 5th wheel Scamp on my way into Langdon on a yard alongside the hwy. - Neat.
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #5

Five days later, we are back home. Our first hop to Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park North Unit was 172 miles, about 4 hrs.

Day 2 from TRNP to Wheatland, WY via Spearfish, SD was 472 miles, about 11 hrs.

Day 3 from Wheatland to Puebleo, CO (with rest at Castle Rock) was 277 miles, about 4 hrs (plus 3 hrs rest).

Day 4 from Puebleo to Valley of Fires Receation Area near Carrizozo, NM was 381 miles, about 7 hrs.

Day 5 from Valley of Fires Campground to Las Cruces, NM via post office was 130 miles, about 3 hrs.

Total of 1432 miles.

North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park was nice but not as nice as the South Unit, Juniper Campground about the same both good ones. A hot day in 90s. Used A/C with Honda 2000i until quiet hour at 8 pm then fan and windows open, after sun went down it began to cool, nice restful night.

Wheatland City Park Campground was still very nice, quiet, free electric, water and dump site near by. (Stay there on our way to ND) Very restful night.

Used Camp Wal-Mart next. Rested up, walked Wal-Mart and bought some stuff and ate at Castle Rock waiting till rush hour would be over in Colorado Springs, spend night at Puebleo Wal-Mart by train tracks, warm night for long time, noisey, not restful night. Also the A/C electric power would not work, therefore no A/C to cool it down, worked in Castle Rock. I think the breaker switch are the cause (hope it is that easy to fix). They were having 98 degree days.

Valley of Fires Campground is GREAT! AAA CampBook is not up todate on it. All looks pretty new, great sites. Most with water & electric, very new bathhouse with showers (clean and lots of hot water), dump site, nice hiking trail into the Lava Flow. We didn't need the electric nor the water with the showers. $12 without electric, $18 with electric and some non improved for $7. With the Senior Pass we got it for $6. It was pretty cool due to T-storm in the area and it cooled off nicely to sleep. We stopped close to the Hwy and there was some traiffic noise but not bad, did not bother sleep. The shower was great before bed time and again in the morning. An A+ for Valley of Fires Campground. http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/rec..._of_fires.html

Next step is to have someone check out the electrical proplems. The Circuit Board was here waiting for me. I need to get it on as well.

Photo 1- Over looking Little Missouri River and Theodore Roosevelt NP

Photo 2- Juniper CG TRNP

Photo 3- Leaving Juniper Campground

Photo 4- AW at TRNP

Photo 5- Valley of Fires at Sunset New Mexico

Photo 6- Campground seen from the Lava Flow

Photo 7- Valley of Fires Juniper Tree in the Lava Flow

Photo 8- Valley of Fires at Sun Rise
Attached Thumbnails
244f_1_.jpg   d88c.jpg  

77c1.jpg   9a87.jpg  

24c6.jpg   218e.jpg  

a838.jpg   b627.jpg  

Old 07-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #6

Arrow

Quote:

Jen
My son has said they can get some nice days in August but they can get very cool to cold days almost anytime to those of us not living so far north. I would be sure to take some warm as well as cool clothing with me. We used both in our stay.

We visited in September (Labor Day weekend), it was getting fall colors by then, but the weather was nice at that time.

Be prepared for either, from one day to the next.

The part of the state would make a difference as well, West warmer and South. Northern colder and East about the same.

It is a very beautiful state.

AW
Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Quote:
Be prepared for either, from one day to the next.
... It is a very beautiful state.

AW
I lived on the East side of ND for 4+ years. The first year I was there, it was 32 degrees F on July 4th. It's a beautiful state and I'm counting on dragging the Egg up there some day.

Bonnie