Time to think - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Time to think

One of the best aspects of our extended RVing is time to think. Life is so busy that our most important ability is rarely exercised (of course not for everyone but many). So much of our time is taken up by having this and that to do we have little time to relax and just think about our lives and actions and maybe more important to consider our potential.

Our travels have really increased our thinking time. Every driving day provides hours of time to consider and that's only the beginning.

As I start to write Musing on the Road I recognize that this is an exercise in thinking and expression. It's really personally satisfying as well it may be interesting to others, but that's really secondary.

Ginny will tell you I've always been cerebral. I remember being a young teen and a relative called me an effete snob. Of course I did not know what that meant however it must of been traumatic because it was uttered 60 years ago and i still remember it.

At the time I was shy and tended to watch and listen. The shyness is long gone though I do watch and listen a lot. Unfortunately the life of a child is gone. AS an adult there is a dominant business, a requirement to do, do, do that limits thinking time.

One of my heros was Buckminster Fuller, a man with thinking time. Many of his thoughts are just being recognized for their brilliance. I've long admire his freedom to think.

The extended travel RV rather quickly provides freedom from the do, do, do (as well as stuff and more stuff). For some this freedom can feel like a void rather than an opportunity.

Our new life has turned out to be marvelous. If I were restarting my life I believe I'd begin with my present routine, extra sleep, early rise, mild exercise, a period of expression. It would have changed me and improved my life as it has my RVing life.

For me the period of expression is thinking and writing. One needs to be careful not to turn it into a stress period, not to think about the negatives, but rather to turn it into a positive growth period.

Our extended RVing is a near miracle, physically better and mentally getting better.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
I would guess that one of the reasons that you so much appreciate your current lifestyle is because you DIDN'T start it at the beginning of your life. You spent enough time in the "other world" that you now have a profound appreciation for what you have now. But, if it was all you had ever known, you might find appeal in what the working world offers.

The thing that is brilliant about your situation is that you didn't wait too late to make the transition. You were young enough and healthy enough to be able to enjoy and participate in the offerings of the new life.

My parents, who made major changes while still in good health, tell all their friends, "Don't wait too late. Move before you think you need to, while you are still young enough to enjoy the benefits."
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #3

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
You will hear it again and again....retire as early as possible.
I retired at age 62 and looked forward to many years of doing what I never had time to do when working. We all think we have many active years ahead. The key word here is active. Things change...often sooner than later.
One of my many loves in life requires the ability to do a lot of walking. Now at age 68 my easy walking days are over. Extreme spinal stenosis has made walking any distance very very painful. Thanks to medications I can still walk around for short distances (like a trip to the grocery store) but long walks in the woods are all but impossible even with medications. All medical treatments like surgery and injections into the spine are known to have little if any impact on the condition.

If you have a similar problem beware that doctors are not truthful about treatments. Do a lot of research on the subject. Talk to a lot of people with the same problem. You will discover that the medical profession distorts the results of their treatments of the spine. Their success rate is extremely low!

I'm glad I retired early and have adjusted to my limited activity schedule.
We still travel a lot by RV but even driving is a problem. Short daily distances are a must as long term driving results in a lot of pain.

I read once that people who retire well are those who had many interests and hobbies that could not be fit into their working schedule. Upon retirement they had lots to look forward to and that made the time fly.

A few years ago while on vacation in the U.S. Virgin Islands I asked a resort employee if many people retired to the island....she said yes but they don't last long....why I asked?....her reply..."Nothing much to do here so most just drink themselves to death".....Stay busy my friends...maintain a lot of active interests to keep you active everyday....and....Stay Healthy!....Having a RV helps!

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #4

Florida
Paul,

The reality is that when I started RVing I had just taken a company from one active employee locked in a building in NH to a publicly traded company in 5 years, tremendous effort and I'm sure I never worked less than 60 hours a week for those 5 years.

At the end of that time I weighed 60 pounds more than I do now and had numerous 'business diseases'. Rving made a big difference in my health, form good to bad health, so much so my doctor jokes that he tells patients with similar issues "to buy an RV and hit the road".

I admit to liking work, I enjoy winning, and working provides that opportunity, also each job can be totally different. Being 'locked' in my NH building, creating something was a hoot. I didn't need anything except time and money.

My college roommate died in the 5th year of that company, perfect for me, I was tired and ready to leave. (I usually leave a job after 5 years) and just decided life was really short. I told the board I was retiring, helped find my replacement, bought an RV and hit the road.

Of course I always wish I knew what I know earlier, as I assume we all wish.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I remember reading about Buckminster Fuller years ago and was fascinated by his geodesic domes. His car, the Dynamaxion was also fascinating. I wonder how it would do towing a fiberglass trailer?
Old 08-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Florida
Spinal Stenosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
You will hear it again and again....retire as early as possible.
I know little about Spinal Stenosis except there is more than one kind. Ginny had symptoms of it a couple of years ago on our trip south. She could barely make it from the car to a restaurant, even with help.

Fortunately our Doctor is now in NC and we stopped to see him on our way south. He checked her out (we thought it was her hip) and he said it was a nerve and in her back. He told her if she planked for 30 seconds a day she would be fine in 60 days. Of course neither of us knew what a plank even was. He got right down on the floor and showed her how to plank.

Now this guy is the best and has always steered us straight but I admit to being skeptical but Ginny did it and has been doing it every day for a couple of years now. At first the 30 seconds was impossible and to this day she only does 30 seconds. True to his word it was gone in about 6 weeks.

I tell you just in case this could help, probably not but it made a difference in Ginny's life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

Florida
Geodesic Domes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I remember reading about Buckminster Fuller years ago and was fascinated by his geodesic domes. His car, the Dynamaxion was also fascinating. I wonder how it would do towing a fiberglass trailer?
I've built 7 geodesic domes from 24 feet in diameter to 50 feet. The two fifty footers were covered in fiberglass.

We made the 24 footer, our first, one Labor Day weekend out of dowels. It was hot so we covered the dowel frame work with sheets. We were playing some game and turned around to see the Dome literally flying across a field, finally tripping on the fence. Both light and strong.

We lived in the biggest one and started a business in a 32 footer, again fiberglass covered. It would have made a perfect tiny house.

Building domes is fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #8

Florida
Back to the Book and Thinking

Over our 15 years on the road we've written a lot. We used to write a newsletter about 3 times a week to a fair sized distribution list before blogs. Often people would suggest writing a book but I thought it was like going back to work and resisted because I viewed it as making a product.

Now that I started it's fun and educational, extending if you will, a chance to think and express, actually really fun that I look forward to every morning and truth be known it lurks within me all day long. Little considerations and ideas popping up here and then.

In a sense it's like being 16 and having a girl friend you're always a'musing' over.

Writing and thinking can be fun realized, it doesn't have to be work. You know something to learn every day. Thanks Ellpea

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I know little about Spinal Stenosis except there is more than one kind. Ginny had symptoms of it a couple of years ago on our trip south. She could barely make it from the car to a restaurant, even with help.

Fortunately our Doctor is now in NC and we stopped to see him on our way south. He checked her out (we thought it was her hip) and he said it was a nerve and in her back. He told her if she planked for 30 seconds a day she would be fine in 60 days. Of course neither of us knew what a plank even was. He got right down on the floor and showed her how to plank.

Now this guy is the best and has always steered us straight but I admit to being skeptical but Ginny did it and has been doing it every day for a couple of years now. At first the 30 seconds was impossible and to this day she only does 30 seconds. True to his word it was gone in about 6 weeks.

I tell you just in case this could help, probably not but it made a difference in Ginny's life.
Norm, last week I learned about “plank” from my rheumatologist and have started with the very basic position, probably similar to what Ginny is doing. I'm working up to 8 - 20 second intervals and hope to have similar results.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #10

Florida
Encouraging

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Norm, last week I learned about “plank” from my rheumatologist and have started with the very basic position, probably similar to what Ginny is doing. I'm working up to 8 - 20 second intervals and hope to have similar results.
I have another one I do, sort of a reverse plank.

Occasionally I wake up in the middle of the night and have difficulty falling back to sleep. To help me fall back to sleep I do reverse planks. I lift my butt up bracing between my shoulders and heels while lying on my back and hold it for 10 seconds (now I'm up to 20).

I don't even know if my butt clears the bed but it's some little effort. I keep repeating it until I fall asleep, usually after a few minutes I'm asleep again. (Maybe my body just gives up and chooses sleep.)

As to Ginny she's really faithful about it. She was really afraid when she couldn't walk.

I combine mine with 25 situps, 25 crunches, 25 leg lifts, 25 upward thrusts from the crunch position, 25 leg lifts. 25 bench presses and 25 counter push-ups and one plank. Really it just takes 10-15 minutes. I admit to starting off with just 5 of everything and building up to it.

When I started I did it with my niece and her children who were shooting for 100 of each, which literally seemed impossible when I started. We all made it increasing by a couple a day, Now I've dropped it back to 25 as part of a reglar routine.

It amazes me how capable your body is, how responsive it can be. I read this author James Clear, he says it not the absolute goal though you should have a goal but rather the regular habit. If you do what ever regularly and have a goal in mind, if you make it conscious, you can get there. It's in the habit.

Wishing you success and that you get the desired result.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #11

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
dome dowels

Quote:
We made the 24 footer, our first, one Labor Day weekend out of dowels.
Building domes is fun.
Uh oh. I feel a new obsession coming on. How did you do this with dowels? Are there pre-made fittings for the junctions?
Old 08-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #12

CA
Quote:

Writing and thinking can be fun realized, it doesn't have to be work. You know something to learn every day. Thanks Ellpea

Norm, you are VERY welcome!

I hope you will consider reading Gayle Madden's book. Although her motivation was different, what she wrote is very similar to what you're doing. She would address a day's meditation, activity, trip, or adventure, and then relate it to a deeper musing. It always seemed like there was a very good lesson or inspiration to each day's work.

She also thought writing would be hard work, and it turns out that she loved doing it every day, just as you are doing!

Old 08-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #13

CA
Spinal stenosis, plank, and yoga

Quote:
I also have spinal stenosis, and it has been painful at times. At one point I had nerve pain going down my left arm for nearly 4 months. I literally had to sleep leaning over a table with my arm hanging down, because it couldn't bear being touched.

My sister has neck trouble, as does my daughter. At 38 my daughter had to have a fusion to avoid nerve damage. My sister is somewhat disabled from other health issues, but her neck is a constant problem.

I've had a whiplash and several other injuries, but so far have avoided surgery. I started doing yoga twice a week about 16 years ago, and barring the nerve pain episode, have kept it up religiously.

When I miss several sessions, my pain comes back. I have several *hotspots* (from fibromyalgia) which used to cause constant pain, particularly between the spine and shoulder blade. As long as I keep up with yoga, that pain is non-existent.

"Plank" is a classic yoga pose, and I can see how it would definitely help with stenosis. I'm certain that I've avoided neck surgery and the level of disability my sister has by keeping up with yoga practice. I think if my daughter had been more physically fit, she wouldn't have needed the surgery.

In addition to plank, I REALLY recommend "half moon."

You can do this leaning against a wall (for balance), and your leg does not have to go as high as in this picture. You can also rest your hand on a block or a low stool to avoid leaning over so far. In the beginning you can just look down at your hand near the floor, but the goal is to eventually turn (gently) and look up toward your upraised hand. This gives the greatest benefit to the stretch.

The advantage of this pose is that *gravity* encourages space between your vertebra, especially in the shoulder and neck area. Do it on both sides and relief ensues. (I used to do this in the hospital hallway when we spent hours there at a time with my dad... it really gave relief to tension and stress). When I recently lifted something too heavy, my neck started up again, and several half moons nipped it in the bud.

Give it a try, and maybe some other poses like triangle and warrior. Each of these has great benefits!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #14

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Ellpea, thanks for the suggestion of the “Half Moon”, gotta give it a try. I started Chair Yoga about 3 months ago, the draw back are it's just one day a week and, as I've learned, is it is just that, “Chair” yoga and doesn't include things such as Plank. Lot's of stretching, which is good, and some balance exercises but that seems to be the extent. My health club also has Yoga/Core classes 3 days a week that I've gotta look into. Now if they'll accept a decrepit Ole Man.......
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #15

Florida
AN Imperfect Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post

Norm, you are VERY welcome!

I hope you will consider reading Gayle Madden's book. Although her motivation was different, what she wrote is very similar to what you're doing. She would address a day's meditation, activity, trip, or adventure, and then relate it to a deeper musing. It always seemed like there was a very good lesson or inspiration to each day's work.

She also thought writing would be hard work, and it turns out that she loved doing it every day, just as you are doing!

I have purchased the book. It does look like a good read.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Uh oh. I feel a new obsession coming on. How did you do this with dowels? Are there pre-made fittings for the junctions?
We did not have premade fittings for our dowel dome, that was back in 1969, however kits now exist.

Zip Tie Domes - Geodesic Dome Greenhouse Kits and Chicken Coop Kits for Sale

There are numerous videos on Youtube.

It's fun building them. Our two 50' domes went up in 8 days, just a bunch of unskilled people effectively having a geodesic barn raising...that included a watertight sealed fiberglass surface. Each 50 footer enclosed 2000 square feet.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #17

Florida
Ellpea,

Here's another one. our 50 footers were more like these. The triangles were covered by plywood triangles that were nailed to the basic structure. The plywood was pre coated with fiberglass on one side. After nailing the plywood on we fiberglassed the seams.

This is also interesting approach. They have viseos.

Dome Connectors® - 2x4 Geodesic Dome Connector Kits

The amount of time that it takes to build them is true. A day could give you a fully enclosed structure.

We also developed a non triangular version.

When I was a kid my mother would score the skin of an orange with a knife, much like the longitude and latitude markings on a globe. We used this approach allowing the use of panels that were 4'wide, the same as plywood or plastic sheets creating a bunch of 4' high trapezoids with decreasing width. The last piece would be a triangle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #18

CA
Quote:
Ellpea, thanks for the suggestion of the “Half Moon”, gotta give it a try. I started Chair Yoga about 3 months ago, the draw back are it's just one day a week and, as I've learned, is it is just that, “Chair” yoga and doesn't include things such as Plank. Lot's of stretching, which is good, and some balance exercises but that seems to be the extent. My health club also has Yoga/Core classes 3 days a week that I've gotta look into. Now if they'll accept a decrepit Ole Man.......
Pat, Ha! I'm sure you're not decrepit! BUT, if you've only done chair yoga, please build up slowly. Do take classes at your club from a certified teacher, don't try a challenging pose on your own. I'd hate for you to lose your balance -- which can happen.

Here is an image of half moon from the knee. This would be a safer way to begin.

I put a gardening pad (foam) under my knee when I do this. I also have another one under my yoga mat where my hands usually are (my wrists hurt with weight on them).

I think as we get older, our job changes. Before we work to earn a living, and we focus on raising children or fun activities. But later on, our job becomes taking care of ourselves. We can do a good job, or we can slowly go downhill.

This lady has been doing yoga for decades, and is still going strong. I'm sure her bones are strong, she has a straight back, and her balance is great.

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1n1GtOaL7XU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

Although you can see her doing an advanced lotus pose, these extremes are not necessary. Even after 16 years or so, I don't do lotus, or put my ankle behind my neck! Just do whatever your body is comfortable doing, and build up balance and strength. Your body will thank you for it!

Best wishes,
Ellpea
Old 08-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #19

Florida
I've never done yoga but Ginny is now considering it. What's most interesting is the ability of your body to get better in relatively short order even after years of neglect.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #20

CA
Yoga "bum"

Quote:
I've never done yoga but Ginny is now considering it. What's most interesting is the ability of your body to get better in relatively short order even after years of neglect.
This is very true, and no one was more out of shape than me when I started. At first I could not come close to touching my toes or standing in a crouch for "chair" (like a downhill ski look). In about 3-4 months, my elderly parents accused me of wearing "padded undies." My mother insisted on a pinch to be convinced that I wasn't.

I guess that's what is called yoga "bum."

But yes, your body is always ready and able to get better.