Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’

This was just posted on a Facebook page I follow. I know nothing about this.. but, I know some folks are concerned and thought they'd find it of value. It will be up to the user to determine if the cost, etc. is worth it.

Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As ‘Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker’ | Gear Junkie
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spot.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	85427

If you don't think technology can help... also on Facebook, there was a post of a beautiful, classic Airstream that was stolen. The owners had left an old iPad in the trailer... the battery was dead. But, when the thief powered the iPad back up, the owner of the Airstream was able to find the trailer because of the "Find my..." app that was part of the iPad. Something to think about. SCORE for the owners of the Airstream, booo on the thiefs... they're in jail.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Last winter I thought I was going to have to store my trailer in Fl. for about a month at a storage facility.(900 mi from my home.) I almost bought a Spot and the service for that purpose of tracking if needed but I ended up bringing the trailer back home for a month. If I were to store a trailer in a storage area I think I would use one.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

It's all about level of comfort. I store Ten Forward in a storage facility, it's great. Motion detectors around the perimeter, cameras, conertina wire around the top fence perimeter, good king pin lock and I have good insurance. But, I still worry. Can't help it. I've tried to convince myself, I shouldn't... but still. I'll only feel comfortable when I get Ten Forward home and stored beside the house. I can't imagine the stress some folks feel when they know their trailer will always be stored off site. As I said, it's all about comfort level...
Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I like the inverter techno madia has with a built in GPS so they can find their rig if stolen. Side benefit you get use of the great inverter.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

Ken, I also follow Chris and Cherie. They have great information for travelers on their blog. What's not to like?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #6

Same here looking forward to their sailboat adventures some day. The spot at 8 bucks a month seems like a good deal to me.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Same here looking forward to their sailboat adventures some day. The spot at 8 bucks a month seems like a good deal to me.
Truly, Chris has mad skills when it comes to technology. Did you see his information for folks wanting to run A/C on solar? Not today! Unless your roof is 150' + long.

Knowledge is power
Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
GPS Trailer Tracking

There have been multiple threads on this forum concerning trailer security. Everyone has their own opinion and method and I agree that, depending on your personal beliefs, they could include simple diligence, locks, fences, chains, whips, guard dogs, guns, cameras, claymore mines, trunk monkeys and a moat. Those folks that are un-inclined to subscribe to any of the aforementioned tactics seem to just rely on good insurance. I employ some of these methods myself but if my trailer suddenly sprouts legs and walks off, I want to be able to find it and perhaps use some of the other methods on those folks that helped it along. I started investigating electronic counter measure devices to do just that. I looked at the SPOT Satellite Messenger. I didn’t find the initial cost of about $150.00 too bad. It uses your GPS location and sends it and preselected message to communication satellites which route your location and message to the appropriate network to get you help. It is obviously designed for and intended to be used by a person while traveling in remote regions and it does have good coverage. The best service plan will cost about $200.00 per year. For those folks that may only travel a few weeks of the year, that might be beyond what they are comfortable spending. I continued to look. There are several out there but none seemed to do what I wanted or cost more than I wanted to pay.

I finally found what I thought would do everything I wanted at a reasonable price and I installed it in the Outlaw Oliver. I have it set up so that:

When the trailer is unattended and sitting still (either here at home or anywhere else) and moves over 300 feet, it will send a text message to my iphone that includes a hyperlink to a Google Map page with an icon on it indicating where the trailer is. It will continue to send these until I tell it to stop.

If the door is opened it will set off a local alarm and send a text message stating that the door has been breached and includes the same hyperlink.

I can call it with my iphone and it will send the hyperlink.

If the main power source is removed (trailer batteries) it will send the hyperlink. There are internal lithium batteries that power it if the external power fails and it will alert you if these become low.

I can text it and tell it to switch between tracking and monitoring. In Monitor mode I can listen in on anything going on inside the trailer via a hidden microphone.

I can authorize up to five phones that can access it. Family can always tell where we are.

If we push the “panic” button it will send out a help message to all phones.

All programing is done via text messages and in addition you can arm/disarm it with an included key fob remote.

There are dozens of other functions that it will perform. You can set up multiple virtual GEO fences that will alert if the trailer is moved into or out of. You can have it text you if it is going over a MPH that you have pre-set as maximum. It has an internal SD slot that will log all this data. The list goes on and on.

This piece of equipment is (I’m sure) made in China, as its manual is printed in Chinglish and thus has somewhat of a steep learning curve but it cost me less than $50.00 including the SIM card with 200 prepaid text messages. There are no monthly fees. When you’ve used your allotted text messages, you just reload it with another $10 worth. It operates in conjunction with the GPS and Cell phone systems. And it works just like it said it would.

These photos are of the aluminum mast and mount that I made for my remote control GoLight and the two antennas for the tracker. Both of these items are now being offered as options on the Oliver Elite II.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0922.jpg   DSC_0050.jpg  

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:48 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
What is the thing called? I like it!
I can't tell what the lower picture is all about, but I wonder if the box on the back is it? If the there were a wireless camera that would also send a rear picture to my phone I am in.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #10

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel
Texas
Steve,

It sounds like you have a pretty nifty security device. Please share the name of the device and tell me where you purchased it.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Find My Phone App

It's possible to purchase an inexpensive smart phone with an extended plan from one of the off brand cell providers and load it with a "Find my Phone" App.

The phone could easily be hidden in the trailer and powered off the battery.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...etracker&hl=en

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #12

Mystery device made in China, and smiling all the way to the bank.
https://youtu.be/w0O3X1f85QA