Tipping Campground Hosts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
The campground hosts at the Mount Laguna campground in the Cleveland National Forest were so nice and friendly that I couldn't help wondering, should we be tipping these fine folks. I recall them mentioning that the concessionaire pays them about 5 hours a day but they clearly worked much more than that. So, while we tip restaurant help, baggage checkers, hotel maintenance staff, etc., should we also do the same at the campgrounds for those deserving?
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If they are there trying to make a living it may be ok. If they are there getting free campground service for the summer or winter then i say no. They have made a lifestyle choice.It can't hurt to say thanks if job was well done.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #3

Quote:
... can't hurt to say thanks if job was well done.
We at least made it a point to stop by before leaving and thank them (husband and wife team) for their hospitality.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi steve.....you have made an interesting point here---and frankly, one i have not ever considered up until now! thanks for putting the thought forward and i know that i will definitely change the way i look at things when i meet a worthy worker. i did, however, write a letter to passport america this spring to compliment the host at the rv park we spent time in this winter. it was a passport america park and i wanted them to know about his exceptional service. in future, i certainly will consider more closely your suggestion!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
i did, however, [b]write a letter to passport america this spring to compliment the host at the rv park we spent time in this winter. it was a passport america park and i wanted them to know about his exceptional service.
I believe that communicating satisfaction to a campground workers' employer in writing is the best way.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #6

Quote:
I believe that communicating satisfaction to a campground workers' employer in writing is the best way.
Excellent suggestion Fred.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Personally, I'm just getting a little fed up with all the "TIP" jars I see everywhere. Where does this stop? A sincere "thank you" is all that should be needed.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I can't speak for Camp Host in public campgrounds, but as a former owner of a Rv Park, I can comment on what I appreciated as a owner. I have boxes and boxes of Thank You notes, letters, cards, trinkets from our old guest. Thanking us for our service during their stay. I truly cherish those cards, notes, letters, etc as it confirmed our hard work was what our guest remember about their visit and served as a reminder it was all worth it.

Many times we were asked to dinner at a guest site, or taken to dinner, brought a special treat such as candy, pie, cake, cookies, flowers, booze (one booze gift was crazy , given to me because the guest felt I went way out of my way to help find him. Truly it's something I would have done for anyone. But he brought me the biggest bottle of Crown made. It was a special edition bottle and Crown serving set not sold to the public. I don't drink Crown but I knew my Dh would kick my a$$ is I refused it. LOL and the guest had only been there a few short hours. He also was a retired Big Wig with Crown.) needless to say that guest became a return guest year after year.

And though we had many a lavish gifts bestowed us, it really is those wonderful cards, notes, letters that I cherish. We had a family one year that came in early spring in a small 1960's era bumper pull. Being a Big Rig park they were the only family and the only bumper pull in the Park that week. The sweetest family with the two cutest kids, my worry was they were going to be way out of place among the Million dollar coaches. But worked my hardest to help them feel comfortable. The morning they left I found on my office door, crayon pictures drawn by the kids, telling us about their special trip to Montana and thanking us for being big part in making their vacation special. I really did cry! Because they really were what made that week as a owner special.

So my suggestion would be, to always let them know your appreciation as well as drop a quick note of thanks and pointing out what made it special. Of course the letter written to corporate would be great as well. And if you feel this "host" went beyond then a small token I am sure would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be of monetary value unless you want to. But a sweet treat, a plant, or special gift that you feel conveys your appreciation. Hope that helps you with your question. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I can speak as both an RV Park Manager and as a Forest Service campground host that IS here to make a living.

I have been tipped in both circumstances, and it is appreciated, but NOT expected, nor do I think it should be a standard practice. I am salaried and here to do my job. A kind *Thank You* and words of appreciation are gladly accepted and appreciated. Returning again and remembering my name is the biggest tip I can get.

Telling my boss is nice too. Generally, in this independent position, the only way a boss knows how you are performing is when someone complains. They don't assume if no one complains you are doing OK. Its nice to hear (and see) the compliments. And I like to be judged as more than just "OK". Its not only a matter of pride in a job well done, it can also mean continued employment the following season, or even during the off season.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
I think all tipping is a dumb custom.

If nessisary to remain in business, one should either raise prices or close up. Good service is what you pay for up front.

If I have to bribe someone to get what I am paying for anyhow, something is wrong with the establishment.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I think all tipping is a dumb custom.

If nessisary to remain in business, one should either raise prices or close up. Good service is what you pay for up front.

If I have to bribe someone to get what I am paying for anyhow, something is wrong with the establishment.
Tipping isn't money given to the business, it's money given to the person providing a service. Exceptional service would warrant a better tip than someone who's just doing "the job." I don't mind giving tips to waiters/waitresses or my hairdresser. I don't tip the paper delivery person however. Frankly, those that don't depend on tips to survive would really like a nice THANK YOU. All too often all they hear are complaints, usually on something they have no control over.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Understood Donna, however if the person hiring the worker raised the price to match what the employee makes in tips, then he could just pay the employee that money and the foolish game would be over.

Then he could put on the menu " Tipping prohibited. We pay our employees a decent wage. " And the customers as well as the employees would be happy.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bud, I think this is one topic that we'll need to agree to disagree. I think a tip is like a bonus based on performance. I shouldn't pay $10 for a meal and get just "basic" service. I'd rather pay $6 for the meal and give the wait person $4 for exceptional service.... and little to nothing if I don't feel the "service" warrants it. I don't think it has anything to do with the business, but everything to do with who is providing the service. A person who provides exceptional service can make really good money, the person who doesn't provide exceptional service can and should get far less. Under your plan, everyone would make the same. What is the incentive to go above and beyond.... I just don't see it.

And just to keep this On Topic, I do try to thank Campground Hosts and if I see someone cleaning the restrooms, they get an extra thumbs up! Personally, I think there aren't enough Thank You's and Please's spoken in this world anymore (terrible grammer, but you get the idea).
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Donna, let me know where you can eat for $6 . . . . . or, on the other hand, maybe not.
cheers
Ian

Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote