Tips for NEWBIES - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2003, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Tips for NEWBIES

Posted by Ron and Bernice, Member, Florida

OK Guys, What is your Ideals?

Everyone has things that helps make their trip more enjoyable. Most of them are easy, simple, and cheap. Lets share them with the NEWBIES.

I'll go first.

Save those small empty water bottles. Refill them about 7/8 full and freeze. When you're ready to go on a trip put them in the refrigarator to help keep it cold and to have fresh water from home when they thaw. We keep about a dozen.

OK who is next?

-----------------------------
Ron #1278

Last edited by: Ron and Bernice on 05-24-03 08:09:27

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 09:15 PM   #2

Newbie Tips

Posted by Barbara Gardin, Member, West Grey, Ontario, Canada

This is a great idea. Please post lots, we can use all the help we can get.
Thanks

Barbara
Devil or Angel
13 FT Boler
Pulled by 55 Chevy

Old 05-23-2003, 10:14 PM   #3

refrozen water

Posted by Jay Herb, Member, So. Oregon

refrozen water
I start the refrigarator at least 6 hours before we leave, than we put frozen bottles of water with meat in and the refrigarator stays cold for 6 to 8 hours with out running it. Jay

Jay Herb

Old 05-23-2003, 10:22 PM   #4

Posted by Chester Taje, Moderator, Hosmer, B.C. Canada

Hi All
I travel with fresh from home or store bought drinking water.This is because I once had a load of real bad water.My tank water is just for washing and toilet.Fresh for cooking.
Ches & Marie
17Ft Boler Canadian In Use
13Ft Boler Canadian under Rebuild
Glass IS Class

Old 05-24-2003, 07:07 AM   #5

Pre-cooked food

Fix favorite food at home and freeze in individual size portions. Then just heat in microwave and serve. One of ours is sausage biscuits.

Ron #1278

Old 05-24-2003, 08:00 AM   #6

Posted by Charles Watts, Member, Illinois

Instead of water in those water bottles ... freeze ice tea and lemonade ... that way when they melt, as you drive down the road or get to your destination, you'll have a good refreshing drink.

(Now, I'd like heavy sugar Lemonade shake-ups and Southern Sweet Tea ... but I never get it, because Pam always fills the bottles with Crystal Light and Artificial sweeten homebrewed tea.)

We also freeze at home a half-gallon plastic jug of Orange Juice (pour a little out to account for expansion) which we put in the refrigerator to thaw enroute (a couple of days) to the campground.

Instead of ice in your cooler in your tow vehicle, use frozen bottles of juice, tea or lemonade.

Last edited by: Charles Watts on 05-24-03 09:03:31

Old 05-24-2003, 11:38 AM   #7

Posted by Eric C, Member, Johnstown, NY

Southern Sweet Tea... my my my... is there any better beverage? I think not

Great tip in two words... Ziploc Bags. I put everything in 'em. You can get more leftovers in your fridge, more stuff in your drawers, and come in a bunch of sizes for different needs. There was a posting a while back about the versatility of these little gems... you might want to do a search and see the different uses they offer!

(image no longer available)
The Plastic Palace and The Pit Bull

Old 05-24-2003, 12:16 PM   #8

Travel Light

Travel Light
Re-package large volume containers to the size you need for a few days. Only take enough of anything to last a few days or maybe a week.

Ron #1278

Old 05-24-2003, 02:00 PM   #9

Posted by Rock MacRae, Member, Calgary, AB, Canada

My big tip is to make a list, mental or otherwise of all of the steps required
to hook up the trailer, and to try to do them in the same order all the time.
This seems pretty obvious, but having started out once without locking the ball,
and another time without attaching the safety chains, perhaps it can't be
overstated (at least to me)

17' Bigfoot

Old 05-24-2003, 09:13 PM   #10

List Maker

Posted by Dene Weathersbee, Member, TX

List Maker
I have always been a list maker so I agree with Rock MacRae however my list is more extensive. I have a list for what we need to do before leaving home, a list of what we need to take and a food list. We do a check of RV and tow vehicle everytime so it is no longer written down for us but still a good idea. Lists take a lot of pressure off of me because I make the lists on the computer, print out one when I need it and can update or edit it as necessary. The list seems to bring order to what can be hectic when trying to remember it all. Don't wait until 2 days before you leave to start the list. If you do it now and keep adding/deleting you will have a pretty good list to work with by the time you go.

Old 05-24-2003, 09:53 PM   #11

another freezing idea

Posted by Lainey, Member, AB Canada
another freezing idea
I always freeze 1Litre tetrapaks to use as ice blocks. They stay frozen quite a long time because of their foil layer, and although I was skeptical at first, I've never had one burst.

This topic is a great idea!

(image no longer available)
13' Boler Canadian

Old 05-25-2003, 05:16 AM   #12

Posted by Mile T, Member, Pacific South West

Quote:
Orginally posted by Rock MacRae

My big tip is to make a list, mental or otherwise of all of the steps required
to hook up the trailer, and to try to do them in the same order all the time.
This seems pretty obvious, but having started out once without locking the ball,
and another time without attaching the safety chains, perhaps it can't be overstated (at least to me)
Rock, I took it one step further when we were new. I laminated the check list after dressing it up with camping pictures and a road map of North America and made 4 place mats.

Bigfoot-made at the turn of the last century.

Last edited by: Mike T on 05-25-03 06:18:20

Old 05-25-2003, 05:14 PM   #13

Thanks Folks!

Posted by Mark M., Member, So. Cal.
Thanks Folks!
I would like to thank all you folks for posting so much useful information.

I am a TT newbie, and this site has been of great assistance all the way along the line.

I was able to find a 1998 Casita Patriot 13’. I chose the Casita because of the great information on choosing a TT for your tow vehicle posted here. I have a 2001 Nisson 6 cylinder Desert Runner – so weight was a big factor. You folks provided enough info to keep me from buying too much TT.

The next thing to think about was a brake controller. I was able to select a Tekonsha Prodigy based on the info posted here. I decided to install it myself – soldering all the splices and using heat shrink tubing – based on info I found here. I was able to have the best, installed myself, for less than I could get a cheap controller professionally installed locally here in San Diego. I tested it in the local high school parking lot and adjusted the Prodigy with – you guessed it – info I found here.

Moving the thing around the drive way was a pain in the limited space I have – once again info posted here led me to the “Harbor Freight Heavy Duty Trailer Dolly”. I even knew to wait until it went on sale for $40 based on info I found here.

Thanks again – and I love the reconstruction photos. There is no such thing as too many photos when you are trying to understand all the components in these little eggs.

Mark M.

Last edited by: Mark M. on 05-25-03 18:31:11

Old 05-25-2003, 06:42 PM   #14

Tools and spares

Posted by Ron and Bernice
Tools and spares
I keep a few tools just in case. They are; a 13 way ratchet screwdriver(from Home Depot), insulated log nose pliers, 6in adjustable wrench, 10 in adjustable wrench, swiss army knife, black electrician's tape, a box of misc. electrical connectors, pop rivet tool and pop rivets, WD40, spare fuses, pair of channel locks pliers, 1 1/16 in. socket tool, lug wrench, and a digital volt meter.

Ron #1278

Last edited by: Ron and Bernice on 05-25-03 19:45:56

Old 05-25-2003, 07:19 PM   #15

Mark

Posted by Suz, Moderator, North Texas

Mark

Welcome to the board. There is a weath of information here, isn't there? I am so glad that it helped. Have you been following the board long? Did you find a lot of the info with our search feature or just been hanging out reading what was written?

No matter, we're just glad you're here. Helping each other and having fun is what we're all about.

Thanks for letting us know!

Enoy your Patriot! Happy Camping.
Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 05-25-2003, 07:34 PM   #16

Posted by Mark M., Member, So. Cal.

Suz,
I did a little of both. I have been checking the site daily for a month or so. Found it in a Google search for “fiberglass travel trailer”. What a score!
I started with just reading the posts, and as I learned enough to seek out specific information I started using the Search Engine.
Keep the ideas coming – we newbies need all the help we can get.

Old 05-26-2003, 09:14 AM   #17

Posted by Rick, Moderator, Vancouver, BC Canada
While camping a few weeks ago, our friends told us a little tidbit that made me curious. Here's something I found while doing a search on Google. It pretty well sums up the conversation. Has anyone else heard this, any comments?

If you chose to drink bottled water, it is important that used bottles are thoroughly cleaned and dried before reusing. A recent study reported in the Canadian Journal of Health found one-third of the samples collected from kids' reused water bottles were contaminated with high levels of bacteria. And even though some experts say that washing the bottle after each use will alleviate the problem, a 1999 U.S. study found that thorough washing might make a bottle unsafe by accelerating the breakdown of the plastic and causing chemicals to leach into the water. Therefore, your best course of action is to throw the bottle away and start fresh.
Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

95 Bigfoot 25B21 (21.5FT)

Old 05-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #18

Posted by Rich, Member, Midwest

Rick, I have not heard that but it dont surprise me. I would say to buy bike water bottles, I have a half dozen now. I like to take one of those fanny packs with 2 spots for water bottles when I go places. I either pack them full of ice cubes or fill them half way the night before and freeze them (then finish filling in the am). Like Charles says, drink them as they melt.

Using bike bottles should avoid the leeching of chemicals, they were designed for continued and extended use (unlike the bottled water or pop containers). It wont, however, stop the bacteria buildup if you are putting your mouth on the bottle.

My advise for newbie egg owners... forget the small stuff and have fun. I bought a egg to get out of a tent and off the ground. I had camp set up in 10 minutes including backing in the campsite and leveling the trailer and lighting the propane fridge. At minute 11 I was sitting in a lawn chair drinking a beverage. Now that was relaxing, no more hour set-up times (more if after dark or raining). The side benefit of fast set-up really makes the eggs enjoyable, take advantage of it.

Rich

Old 05-26-2003, 12:51 PM   #19

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator, Northeast, Oklahoma

Quote:
Orginally posted by Rick
And even though some experts say that washing the bottle after each use will alleviate the problem, a 1999 U.S. study found that thorough washing might make a bottle unsafe by accelerating the breakdown of the plastic and causing chemicals to leach into the water. Therefore, your best course of action is to throw the bottle away and start fresh.
I had heard the need to wash, but not the chemical leaching problem. I assume we are talking handwash? so they breakdown from time not washing - sounds like, maybe. or the hot warter gets them started leaching?

Do those bike bottles leave a taste? I know some of the straws do. or use to, as I haven't used them in a few years.
(image no long available)
Jana Journeycake
PullsButtercupwithYellaEscape
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)

Old 05-26-2003, 08:24 PM   #20

Posted by Rich, Member, Midwest

I've had bottles that do leave a taste but I recycled them. Most of the more expensive ones dont leave a taste but if you can detect plastic from a straw I dont think it will work for you.

HTH
Rich