Tips on drycamping for newbs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #21

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
Thanks for that heads up...it would mainly be dishwater or handwashing...so if u do this outside it goes on the ground aswell..no? Unless there is a wash station at the campground of course...the place we are going is very primitive...we are planning on 3 nights or as long as our 8month old daughter can go haha, might only end up being one night, we shall see how she does...
You can buy heavy duty paper plates and plastic ware at Costcov ery inexpensively. I use the disposable stuff rather than run out of water. Just remember to pack it out.
I envy you, I'm pushing 70 and remember starting my boys camping when they were about a year old. It can be frustrating with little ones but the fun times and memories outweigh everything.

Take at least an extra 5 gallons of extra water as the small Scamp tank does not go very far.

Happy camping,
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I think the bigger concern with using the furnace is the battery drain to run the furnace fan.
I've found the blackwater tank is good for about 6-7 days for one person - so three days will probably work for your family if you're a bit careful.

Have a great time camping!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
We usually use a small 120v night light at night so we don't kill ourselves getting up.

Whilst dry camping at Quartzsite, we discovered our solar lights work great. Just leave them charge up during the day and they will provide light at night, at least enough to navigate with.

Grey Water:

http://bullinfull.typepad.com/bif/20...ater-brea.html

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
We let or gray water out right on to the ground. We use a nylon stocking as a filter, biodegradable soap, limit our water use, and pretty much always boondock. This wilderness ethic that is way more stringent than those used by most backpackers and river runners I know.
I sorry but I resent that remark about backpackers. I spent over 30 years backpacking and the total amount of gray water I produced during that time was far less than many RVer produce in a week-end. it was always proper dispersed in a location away from surface water. Those us that really care manage to find ways to minimize out impact. No trace camping is correct phrase.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In Oregon you'd get a big fat fine for allowing gray water to just run onto the ground. There's a reason it needs to be dispursed even in BLM or our forests. And don't even think about it in any park, improved or not.

Donna D. proud to be a tree hugger and steward of Oregon
Same here in BC Donna!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I sorry but I resent that remark about backpackers. I spent over 30 years backpacking and the total amount of gray water I produced during that time was far less than many RVer produce in a week-end. it was always proper dispersed in a location away from surface water. Those us that really care manage to find ways to minimize out impact. No trace camping is correct phrase.
Byron, you have a right to be upset. I'm 69 y. o. and have enjoyed the outdoors all my life. I have found that most people, be they hikers, equestrians, ATV riders or Mtn. bikers that actually get out into the wilderness and leave their campers behind for days at a time are usually the best environmentalists and have a true love and respect of what I like to call Gods Great Cathedral.

John
Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
We let or gray water out right on to the ground. We use a nylon stocking as a filter, biodegradable soap, limit our water use, and pretty much always boondock. This wilderness ethic that is way more stringent than those used by most backpackers and river runners I know.
Sounds just plain lazy and uncaring to me.

John
Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #28

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
For greywater holding in campgrounds, I keep a dedicated collapsible 5 gallon container. I've modified the spout to allow a drain hose to be attached, as some campgrounds don't allow the use of an open container for this purpose.
The biggest problem with greywater in other settings is that if improperly controlled you'll create bug/ smell problems for yourself and the next camper. Not to mention general nastiness if it's just dispersed here and there!
Unless you're big users of strong chemicals, your greywater poses no risk to the environment. Use mild soaps to wash yourself and your dishes- its strength will be expended on the task, leaving you with-dirty water!
Greywater can be properly disposed of in dispersed camping situations by digging a hole at least 100 ft. from water, placing your drain hose into it, and temporarily backfilling with a few big rocks. Ashes (COLD) from the inevitable fire ring can be liberally sprinkled in for bug control. The use of a simple filter as suggested above is a good idea.
The hole must be filled and tamped before leaving the site.
The same protocol governs latrine holes, if you need them, although they should be deeper, especially if you put T.P. in it- animals like to dig the paper up. Cold ashes are also an excellent bug/odor control for a latrine hole.
If you use NO chemicals and put NO toilet paper in your porta-potty, you can dispose of its contents in a deep latrine hole, as before well filled and tamped upon breaking camp.
If you're a minimalist that uses small amounts of water for dishwashing- or a tent camper- the best place to pour the dregs is into the fire ring. They're usually many inches thick with ash, which is a very efficient natural filter. If you're using the fire ring at the time, just pour it in at the edge- it won't extinguish your fire. Any food bits will be consumed, and won't attract bugs and/or rodents.
Make sure when you break camp to thoroughly mix the fire ring ashes so that the next camper will have a clean place to start with.

And have fun!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 AM   #29

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
On the washing issue, unless the plates and pans are really greasy, no need for soap at all. Just scrub with sand or dirt and rinse, can be done in a stream.
I don't cook much meat, so this works well.
And I bet the baby will have so much fun everyone will sleep well!
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #30
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
Great info everyone, Thanks!
Anne glad you brought up the black water, I was wondering about that,
since I think its only a 9gal tank.
Roger great idea with the solar lights.
Francesca thanks for the dispersion solutions.

So what other tips y'all got?
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjie s. View Post
On the washing issue, unless the plates and pans are really greasy, no need for soap at all. Just scrub with sand or dirt and rinse, can be done in a stream.
I don't cook much meat, so this works well.
And I bet the baby will have so much fun everyone will sleep well!
Marjie

Don't get caught doing this. The fines can be pretty high.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #32

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
For gray water on our UHaul, we have an outlet with a hose fitting under the side of the trailer (no tank). We hook up a plastic jug (3 or 5 gallons) with a cut off garden hose and run the gray water directly into the jug. Then, I dispose of the gray water at the sanitary facilities (bathroom, shower room, etc.). I have to dump it twice over a 3 day weekend.

For dry camping, you may want to investigate a multipurpose battery/jump start/charger unit. These are available from Harbor Freight (Chicago Tools?) and can power 12v lights and other light devices if you won't want to run down your battery for some things. They are good for charging phones, running laptops, running radios, etc. You can get these in different sizes for different current loads.

Take plenty of garbage bags, too! We always have the small kitchen bags and the larger black bags for hauling away our trash. They also come in handy for covering lawn chairs or other outside stuff to avoid dew and rain. You can also make quick rain ponchos out of the big black bags.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
For gray water on our UHaul, we have an outlet with a hose fitting under the side of the trailer (no tank). We hook up a plastic jug (3 or 5 gallons) with a cut off garden hose and run the gray water directly into the jug. Then, I dispose of the gray water at the sanitary facilities (bathroom, shower room, etc.). I have to dump it twice over a 3 day weekend.

For dry camping, you may want to investigate a multipurpose battery/jump start/charger unit. These are available from Harbor Freight (Chicago Tools?) and can power 12v lights and other light devices if you won't want to run down your battery for some things. They are good for charging phones, running laptops, running radios, etc. You can get these in different sizes for different current loads.

Take plenty of garbage bags, too! We always have the small kitchen bags and the larger black bags for hauling away our trash. They also come in handy for covering lawn chairs or other outside stuff to avoid dew and rain. You can also make quick rain ponchos out of the big black bags.

I agree that you need to dispose of your garbage properly. Also it's generally a good idea to reduce the amount of garbage produced while out. One of the ways is to repackage food items that comes in boxes. Also package food with just enough for one meal at a time and cook only what will be eaten.
It's another one of those reduce when possible things. We use large zip lock type bags for garbage. It usually takes a least 2 days to fill one and that's using disposable plates and flat ware.
When we're in a place that we have to carry out our garbage we do everything we can to reduce the amount.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #34

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Don't get caught doing this. The fines can be pretty high.
Byron,

Why is this illegal? I would just be rubbing dirt on my plate and rinsing.
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjie s. View Post
Byron,

Why is this illegal? I would just be rubbing dirt on my plate and rinsing.
Marjie
Grease and food residues being placed in surface water is called "polluting"

The rule is disposing of any waste material, food, soap, human waste, etc. is to be done at least 100 ft. from any surface water. Some places it's extended to 300'.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #36

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
For real food particles are considered BLACK water, that's why all of us desert rats have to have REAL septic systems now.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #37

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
Great info Byron! Thank you! Do know if the furnace uses up the propane fast? I've been told where we are going camping it can get close to freezing at night due to the elevation(5280ft) and will need heat for our daughter....
Hi Baj,

Take warm sleeping bags for your family. Use the propane heater before you go to bed just to warm the cabin. Then turn it on first thing in the AM to warm up the cabin before everyone gets up. The sleeping bags will keep you warm even on very cold nights. In the winter months, I sleep in my flannel PJs.

I use my propane stove top to heat up water in the morning for oatmeal and I also make coffee. This warms up the cabin, so I really don't need the heater working for more than a few minutes each day.

It is important to keep your trailer battery charged because even though your refrigerator may be on propane, you still need a minimum amount of electrical power for the fridge.

We purchased a LED lantern at CostCo for less than $15.00. I use the Lantern at night to save my batteries. It lights up the small trailer cabin really well. I also own several headlamps. You can find fairly inexpensive ones at Home Depot. I use my headlamp at night to hookup/unhitch the trailer, etc. I use it when I walk the dogs after dark. I use it in bed to read.

I have a propane hot water heater. I fire it up at night when I am getting ready to make dinner. I keep it on all night so that I will have hot water to clean my hands and wash the dishes, and take a shower. I turn the hot water heater off just as I am leaving the trailer for the day. This helps to save propane.

I have found that my 15 LB exchange Propane tank will last up to 7 days.

Either this forum or one of the Casita forums had a thread or two on how to make a portable holding "tank" for grey water. Fresh water conservation is a big problem for me. I try my best, but end up having to refill my fresh water tank every few days. I recommend that you look for a nearby gas station which has a dumping station for your grey/black water tank, as well as a fresh water filling area. If you need to get more water before weekend's end, you will find that driving to that station will also serve to recharge your trailer battery.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #38

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Byron, you have a right to be upset. I'm 69 y. o. and have enjoyed the outdoors all my life. I have found that most people, be they hikers, equestrians, ATV riders or Mtn. bikers that actually get out into the wilderness and leave their campers behind for days at a time are usually the best environmentalists and have a true love and respect of what I like to call Gods Great Cathedral.

John
All the equestrians I have encountered leave the horse poop on the trail where ever it drops sometimes in or next to a stream. There are bags that can catch it to be disposed of properly, you may have seen them used in the city. The horses hooves dig up or leave deep imprints in the trail especially when the ground is wet. I have experienced these things along the trail and when they ride in the woods behind my house. The ATV riders and mountain bike riders rip up the tiny fragile root systems that prevent trail erosion. I have nothing against riding horses or mountain bikes or ATV's but I think they do more damage in a fragile wilderness area than dumping a few gallons of grey water. I agree that grey water should not be dumped in the wilderness, but it is a stretch to call equestrians, ATV riders and mountain bikers "the best environmentalists".
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Hi Baj,

Take warm sleeping bags for your family. Use the propane heater before you go to bed just to warm the cabin. Then turn it on first thing in the AM to warm up the cabin before everyone gets up. The sleeping bags will keep you warm even on very cold nights. In the winter months, I sleep in my flannel PJs.

I use my propane stove top to heat up water in the morning for oatmeal and I also make coffee. This warms up the cabin, so I really don't need the heater working for more than a few minutes each day.

It is important to keep your trailer battery charged because even though your refrigerator may be on propane, you still need a minimum amount of electrical power for the fridge.

We purchased a LED lantern at CostCo for less than $15.00. I use the Lantern at night to save my batteries. It lights up the small trailer cabin really well. I also own several headlamps. You can find fairly inexpensive ones at Home Depot. I use my headlamp at night to hookup/unhitch the trailer, etc. I use it when I walk the dogs after dark. I use it in bed to read.

I have a propane hot water heater. I fire it up at night when I am getting ready to make dinner. I keep it on all night so that I will have hot water to clean my hands and wash the dishes, and take a shower. I turn the hot water heater off just as I am leaving the trailer for the day. This helps to save propane.

I have found that my 15 LB exchange Propane tank will last up to 7 days.

Either this forum or one of the Casita forums had a thread or two on how to make a portable holding "tank" for grey water. Fresh water conservation is a big problem for me. I try my best, but end up having to refill my fresh water tank every few days. I recommend that you look for a nearby gas station which has a dumping station for your grey/black water tank, as well as a fresh water filling area. If you need to get more water before weekend's end, you will find that driving to that station will also serve to recharge your trailer battery.

Turning off the furnace at night is ok is milder temperatures. There's a couple problems with doing this. One, if it's really cold you end up with frozen plumbing inside the trailer. Two, depending on how cold you can expect it to get you'll need several different sleeping bags rated for different temperatures. Where we were in Big Bend with the temperatures dropping to 5 degrees everything inside the trailer would have been frozen if we didn't have the furnace on.
We bags rated for around 50 degrees and set the thermostat for that. If temperature stays above the furnace doesn't come on, if it gets colder it comes on.
I have a hard time understanding why people want turn off the furnace at night. Do you turn off the furnace at home at night?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #40
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
More great great info here...love all the little tips and things you all have found work well and save battery life and propane. Thank you all again!
How long would I need to run(not driving, but just sitting idling) my TV to charge my deep cell battery up a bit?.. or will that even do anything, maybe you actually have to be driving with the rmps up...?
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote