Tips on drycamping for newbs - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #81

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dennis dont think anyone has a issue with your approach to dealing with yellow water providing you are not doing it in the middle of a heavy use state/provincal park! :-)

The issue I have with grey water being dumped is that it all to often has food matter in it and its not a pretty thing to see a pile of waste beside your camping spot when you find a great camping spot. Not to mention the great many flys and other wild life you may not want around that it attracts. Yes it happens in the wild with animals but that is natural and not avoidable - dumping large volumes of water we packed in and dirtied with food and grease is not natural and is very avoidable when using a trailer.

I was taught to "leave no trace" and to "pack out what you packed in" so that we all get to enjoy the same natural experence.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #82

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Come on group play nice. There's no place on this forum for politics or flamming anyone. Y'all know better.
Donna,
Sorry it wont happen again .I got carried away.Bad me.
(but they are overkilling the grew water thing) I think the earth can take it.
Dennis
Dennis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #83

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Carol, if your Grey water has food particles in it then it is now Black water, ask your local septic guy or your local health inspector. I know that sounds stupid but we have two small restaurants closed by the health inspector because of Black water right now waiting on proper septic systems.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #84

Registry
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in Texas View Post
Donna,
Sorry it wont happen again .I got carried away.Bad me.
(but they are overkilling the grew water thing) I think the earth can take it.
Dennis
Me sorry too Donna!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #85

Indiana
I'm just happy it wasn't me.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #86

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I'm just happy it wasn't me.
LOL wasnt it you who asked who would want to steal a KIA?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #87
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in Texas View Post
My 2 cents----Ive been tent camping for 50 years in almost all the states.
At night ,I let my yellow water go right on the ground ,usally behind a tree. I think all the bears and other animals have been doing that since birth. Dead animals lay on the ground and rot away usally after other animals have torn them to shreds.(called the food chain). So come on all you earth lovers, your overdoing the grey water thing. Do you really think your hurting the evironment with water that you could drink if it was a matter of life or death. I'd be more worried about oil dripping from your car and the chemicals the chinese are putting in your trail mix.
I'm with ya man!

Plus I noticed a few folks in here mentioned they use disposable plates and plastic flatware to reduce the amount of grey water they would produce by washing reusable dishes...mmm to me this is allot worse than producing grey water. Not only does it take a great deal of resources and creates a ton of pollution to produce, this stuff is then thrown away to fill up land fills leaching way worse stuff into the ground than grey water!
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #88

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL wasnt it you who asked who would want to steal a KIA?
Oh yeah, that was me.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #89

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
I'm with ya man!

Plus I noticed a few folks in here mentioned they use disposable plates and plastic flatware to reduce the amount of grey water they would produce
Baj, the good news is I think you find that the use of disposables is not all that common these days. Even at our meet pot lucks there use is discouraged.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #90

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't use plastic, makes my food taste funny. But I do use paper products, have to start my campfire with something! I even save the paper cores from toilet paper here at home and take those... stuffed with dryer lint. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #91

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Baj, the good news is I think you find that the use of disposables is not all that common these days. Even at our meet pot lucks there use is discouraged.
Hey I love to eat. It's one of lifes greatest adventures and a big part of traveling. In fact if the food is really good, I lick the plate so clean I don't even have to wash it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #92

Texas
Quote:
I don't use plastic, makes my food taste funny. But I do use paper products, have to start my campfire with something! I even save the paper cores from toilet paper here at home and take those... stuffed with dryer lint. YMMV
Great idea Donna,I'm going to try that. For years Ive been buying the firestarters at wally world.I Love finding ways to save $.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #93

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
!
How long would I need to run(not driving, but just sitting idling) my TV to charge my deep cell battery up a bit?.. or will that even do anything, maybe you actually have to be driving with the rmps up...?
Just in case Baj is still listening, can anybody answer the above question he asked 58 posts ago?

I think all the regulatory issues have been amply hashed over, but so far no technical advice has been forthcoming....

Anybody?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #94

Registry
The problem Francesca is that no one can really answer the question because there are too many factors that will impact it. The type of battery he is using - wet, low maintence, deep cell, gel cell, sealed etc to just name a few. The outside temperture and how many watts the alternator on his tow is putting out are also big factors.

"10.2. Driving a car will fully recharge a battery.
Some of factors affecting a car charging system's ability to charge a battery are: how much current from the alternator is diverted to the battery to charge it, how long the current is available and the temperature. Generally, idling the engine or on short stop-and-go trips during bad or hot weather or at night will not recharge a battery. A long daytime trip in warm weather should recharge a battery"
Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #95

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

Thanks, Carol!
That sums it up really well.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #96
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
Thanks guys!
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #97

Texas
Quote:
Howdy all,

Trying to get ready for our first shakedown run which will be a dry run taboot. Need all the tips we can get as far as reserving battery power, holding tank space...ive already gotten a tip from the previous owner to open the grey watet house run it out onto the ground...anyways lookin for tips like that to help make our first trip a success...we have a 96 16' Scamp.
Thanks in advance!
Some ideas, I plan to do a lot of dry camping and I'm leaning twords making a battery bank = that is 2 Batteries wired together. Comeing off the + from one and ground from the other to the control panel. That will double my watts available and also I have a 100 amp alternator on the truck. For about $200. I can get a 200 amp alternator. I ran 10 gauge wire from TV battery to trailer connector so the battery bank should be fully charged when I get to site. I'm hoping the frig will run off the alternator also while traveling. I want to save the prophane for the furnace in case I need heat. LED lights in the trailer are a must.They use very little watts.
I may do a small solar panel someday also.

Keep searching the forum and you will find many ideas.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #98

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Many types of paper plates are coated with plastic or have fibers mixed with plastic to prevent liquids from soaking in. Even tin (steel) cans are lined with plastic and cardboard cartons are coated with plastic.

If the lint is only from cotton or other natural fibers that would make a good fire starter, however if there are acrylic or polyester, etc clothes then the lint contains plastic and is not good to burn. At least don't breathe the smoke.

I find non-glossy newspaper without color ink makes a great fire starter and it is easy to get for free and easy to store.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #99

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Cardboard egg cartons filled with parafin and lint or saw dust. Boy Scout thing.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #100

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Cardboard egg cartons filled with parafin and lint or saw dust. Boy Scout thing.
Yeah that's a good one. And very popular.