Tire cover idea - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #21

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
[quote]I was thinking of painting this on the cover for our spare tire... anyone think this is a bad idea??

Attachment 22545

To be honest - I misread this the first time through as "In a hurry? Please Go Around. We're not..." and found myself thinking - you're not what???

I would offer the following thoughts:

A too involved, complicated, wordy tire cover or bumper sticker could have the opposite effect as people pull up just to read it.

I would avoid signs that could be interpreted as being confrontational or threatening. People sometimes get a little odd in traffic, and I wouldn't want them getting any odder.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I suppose we could go with the o'l

"If you can read this you're too close" slogan...

or nothing at all for that matter, it was just a passing idea.

The last thing I want to do is cause more road rage.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #23

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
A couple of other suggestions;

"I may be slow but I'm ahead of you"

and for you Nascar fans

"Everyone ahead of me is a lap down"
Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I have an "I Drive 55" Bumper Sticker on the back of my Fiber Stream. When towing, I do set my cruise control to 55 mph. I also have a LARGE sticker of the sign in my Avitar back there too.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #25

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
I was thinking of painting this on the cover for our spare tire... anyone think this is a bad idea??

Attachment 22545

I thought of this the last time we were towing our trailer, and people kept riding up on us, trying to bully us down the road. I know there isn't a whole lot you can do about rude drivers, but I thought maybe this would be a kinder way of getting their attention.
A~
Please don't take offense to what I am about to say. I just wish you and others on this board would just think about it. As an owner of travel trailers all my adult life, I can see both sides of this issue. I am not accusing anyone of being inconsiderate. This post just came a the right time to let me vent after being # 32 behind a Scamp to day for a frustrating 20 miles.
I live in a high desert community near a very popular lake and summer vacation destination.
The largest city with a Costco is 40 miles away.
The last 30 miles to the lake is through a very narrow, twisty and beautiful canyon. Myself and other local residents have been driving this canyon for years. I have driven in the Canyon with my Scamp and EVERY TIME I had someone behind me I pulled over and let them pass. I have pulled my Scamp through the Rockies and still I managed to pull over when I had someone behind me.
Returning home today I was the 32nd vehicle in line behind what appeared to be a 13' Scamp towed by a van. I was forced to drive the entire canyon at about 20 to 25 miles at hour. Normal speed most to the way is about 40 to 50 miles an hour.
I realize that the canyon is a beautiful drive especially to someone that has never driven it before. I also appreciate that there is a certain amount of hesitation when an inexperienced mountain driver tackles a road such as this for the first time.
I have driven this road for the last five years and have found that there are 2 types of RVers. There are the polite and considerate individuals who enjoy the beautiful scenery but do not take it upon themselves to tell others how fast they can drive and use the pull outs when ever possible. Thankfully most RV owners fall into this category.
Then there is the minority that are arrogant, inconsiderate, non thinking twits that don't care about anyone but themselves and bully other people into going slower than they could safely be going.
Thanks for letting me vent. Please, think about what I said and put yourself in the place of the person without the trailer.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #26

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I hear your vent, Perry. My Mom taught me to drive, and she always had other drivers in mind. Thus we were taught (and she showed by example) things such as... Lost? Looking for an address? Just keep driving at the normal speed and if you have to "hunt and peck" then it's time to pull over or get out and walk or something.

I'm always amazed and horrified at the people who drive along with a million people behind them (not speeders or aggressive drivers, but just people who want to go a reasonable, legal speed) and who never seem to even notice! HelloooOOOooo, do you even HAVE a rear-view mirror?

Since watching the television show "Six Feet Under" I always think of a scene where the red-headed, quirky daughter was sitting in her car trying to get out of the driveway to go somewhere, and her older brothers and friends were standing right in the middle of the driveway, chatting and blocking it, seemingly oblivious. She sat and fumed and then finally starting honking and yelling "Hello! I exist!!" Now that's what I yell (to myself) when I get behind these folks.

I find that I'm able to keep up my speed pretty well when towing my Boler, and when I can't, you can bet I pull over to let people go around.

Of course, as you said, we're not implying that April or others contemplating stickers are those inconsiderate drivers. Not at all. And even when one is driving "properly," there will always be the true, dangerous jerks who tailgate, speed, etc.

It is good to vent though, isn't it?
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I have also been stuck in long lines down long winding roads, that isn't fun for anyone, and assuming that there isn't a safe place to pull over to let them pass, that would not be fun for the leader either. When we travel, we always try to maintain a level of awareness and consideration for the other drivers on the road. I just wish other people did the same for us. What I found to be the most annoying is the people who drive up your rear when there is plenty of room to go around, or another lane even. Sometimes you just have to take things a little slow, and you can be sure that if you got stuck behind us, we would make every attempt to find a place to pull off when it was safe to do so. Hopefully, we won't have to encounter too many rude drivers on the state hwys, since we plan to stay off the main interstate as much as possible. I was attempting to think of a clever way to spread some AWARENESS to other drivers who might not be fully aware of how they are behaving on the road without being confrontational. I don't know if this tire cover idea is the solution I am looking for, after reading so many opinions on the matter. That is the main reason I posted it here, I knew there were plenty of experienced folk here to guide us in the right direction. I do appreciate ALL the feedback!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote