tire failure while driving 55 (ish)mph - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Okay maybe a wee bit faster but I was on a HWY heard this whump whump whumping noise.....hummm wonder what that is. Smell rubber realize my tire must be going flat. Pulled over immediatly upon realizing my problem. Get out see my trailer inches from the ground eeekkkkk. the frame didn't hit whew. Had a spare, had the tools, sat there thinking hummmmmmm what was that lefty loosy righty tighty. Then as I'm sitting there thinking " I can do this" giving myself the pep talk a nice man pulls over and changes my tire. So all in all it put me out of my way 15 minutes hardly a blip but I would recommend strongly everyone know how to change a tire because we were out of cell phone range at that very moment (small child and myself). My tire was 1 year old 175/80-13 Bias trailer tire tw.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Yikes!!
Glad you're ok...one year old tires
Now I'm going to be nervous all the way to Bandon
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #3

I know scary stuff....made me a wee bit more aware......well alls well so ehh who knows what the heck happened.......

Old 06-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Have the valve checked, some Chinese valves are leaking and they are all over the place.
There was a message somewhere on this board about it.
I had two of them, I got them with new tires, High pressure valves they were. When they got hot they leaked air. Sitting in the driveway for months no problem.
One I caught in time, the other took out the tire.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Quote:
Okay maybe a wee bit faster but I was on a HWY heard this whump whump whumping noise.....hummm wonder what that is. Smell rubber realize my tire must be going flat. Pulled over immediatly upon realizing my problem. Get out see my trailer inches from the ground eeekkkkk. the frame didn't hit whew. Had a spare, had the tools, sat there thinking hummmmmmm what was that lefty loosy righty tighty. Then as I'm sitting there thinking " I can do this" giving myself the pep talk a nice man pulls over and changes my tire. So all in all it put me out of my way 15 minutes hardly a blip but I would recommend strongly everyone know how to change a tire because we were out of cell phone range at that very moment (small child and myself). My tire was 1 year old 175/80-13 Bias trailer tire tw.
Hi Brandy...Good reminder...I USUALLY have my tires checked b4 I head out but they are several (maybe 5+yrs!).Going to Bandon has some pretty desolate spots where I've found myself going way over--! Sure enjoyed meeting you & Garrett [at] Taidnapam. See you [at] Bandon!!
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi Brandy...Good reminder...I USUALLY have my tires checked b4 I head out but they are several (maybe 5+yrs!).Going to Bandon has some pretty desolate spots where I've found myself going way over--! Sure enjoyed meeting you & Garrett [at] Taidnapam. See you [at] Bandon!!
Hey KarenI did have my tires checked not to long ago....I will post pics later but there was a real odd wear pattern. I checked the other one just now and no wear and tear. It blew out the side then look like it dragged a ways. Great to meet you as well. I won't be heading to Bandon.....smidge to far for me to go to but I'm sure I will cross paths with you again. Take care Brandy
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
... but I would recommend strongly everyone know how to change a tire because we were out of cell phone range at that very moment (small child and myself).
I've been driving for many years and have only had two flat tires (KNOCK WOOD). But as a new driver, one of the requirements from my Dad was I had to know how to change a tire.

Of course, this was long before cellphones or even Triple AA, but it was a good lesson to learn. And although I haven't had to do it for a long time, I think those lessons learned have stayed with me enough that I could probably figure it out.

Anyone else remember those death trap bumper hitches! GAD.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Donna,
You have to remember that cars use to have real bumper's on them.

Bill K
Quote:
Anyone else remember those death trap bumper hitches! GAD.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I agree with pjants AD to go further all tires have a DATE on them!! MANY dealers are selling tires that are very NEAR their 'expirie date', either knowingly or unknowingly!! I say this only from watching T.V. spots on this issue and cannot confirm nor deny whats happening in THAT regard!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I had to have all the stems on our '07 Escape replaced. $30. Cheap insurance. Even the spare (Nevr used) had a cracked stem If you pushed against the stem with your finger the cracks would open up "right before your eyes".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote