Tire Pressure Eye-opener - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Tire Pressure Eye-opener

As I was researching tire replacement for my Trillium, my husband returned home from getting our Casita's Marathon tires replaced. I quoted the discussion in this thread

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cks-46829.html

about max PSI printed on the tire vs tire and trailer manufacturer recommendations. He just bought Maxxis ST205/75R14 with 50 psi max stamped on the tire. He pulled out the sticker pasted on one tire, and lo and behold, it said DO NOT EXCEED 40 PSI. Neither of us had ever heard of such a thing.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's what Maxxis says on their web site.
http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf
Old 06-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
As I was researching tire replacement for my Trillium, my husband returned home from getting our Casita's Marathon tires replaced. I quoted the discussion in this thread

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cks-46829.html

about max PSI printed on the tire vs tire and trailer manufacturer recommendations. He just bought Maxxis ST205/75R14 with 50 psi max stamped on the tire. He pulled out the sticker pasted on one tire, and lo and behold, it said DO NOT EXCEED 40 PSI. Neither of us had ever heard of such a thing.
I've never heard of that either. Doesn't seem they could limit the tire Max PSI with just a sticker when the sidewall says otherwise, since the sticker is only temporary. Could it have been limited to 40PSI just for mounting purposes on the wheel, (i.e., do not exceed 40 PSI when mounting) if so, that's not unusual, and once the beads seat on the wheel you can inflate it as desired?
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here's what Maxxis says on their web site.
http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf
That chart is very useful. Thanks.

Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Not exactly TT-related, but I learned to be very careful of the "SuperLube" type places. One of their items on their list is to check/adjust the air in your vehicle's tires. I like to keep mine at 40PSI - a bit lower than the max on the tire sidewall. The SuperLube was dropping them all to 35PSI! Not much difference, I guess - but it is NOT what I keep mine at!
LanceRinFla is offline   Reply With Quote