Tire pressure monitoring systems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Tire pressure monitoring systems

Other than the TST systems that I have been reviewing, anyone have any favorable reviews of other available systems?

TIA
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Some people like Tire Minder Smart systems, others the EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System, yet others the TireTraker Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems. There are many cheaper systems available also. I had a blow out on a Casita and had a flat on my tandem axle Big Foot last year, which I did not detect for many miles and so shredded my tire. I need to purchase a tire monitoring system before the next camping season. It will be interesting to see what is recommended. Thanks for posting. However you may want to do a search since much has been posted about this subject; some of which is rather heated...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #3

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Tire Monitoring Systems

Here's a Dec 2019 article on the 10 best tire monitoring systems by the RV Web
Network, with pros/cons per each system.

Hope this helps decision-making.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #4

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Here's a Dec 2019 article on the 10 best tire monitoring systems by the RV Web
Network, with pros/cons per each system.

Hope this helps decision-making.
Where?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #5

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
Here is a link to the 10 best list:
https://www.rvweb.net/?s=tire+pressure+system
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #6

British Columbia
That s awesome...thank u for forwarding the link.
I guess the only thing to ask is...can anyone give some reviews on any of them.
Always nice to have a consumers perspective.
Many thanks
Old 12-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Foster View Post
Ask and ye shall receive... although it might be a bit dated...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ist-84348.html

I like my TST TPMS.. I guess it is hard to find TST kits with only two sensors but you can also buy the parts separately. And it's not cheap. But I still like it. I really liked it the day which I described in a later post in the above thread (in other words, read it all )

We could use an update on TST kits, especially with two sensors, if anyone wants to chime in.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Ask and ye shall receive... although it might be a bit dated...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ist-84348.html

I like my TST TPMS.. I guess it is hard to find TST kits with only two sensors but you can also buy the parts separately. And it's not cheap. But I still like it. I really liked it the day which I described in a later post in the above thread (in other words, read it all )

We could use an update on TST kits, especially with two sensors, if anyone wants to chime in.
A few years back - when I was working - we recognized the need for a 2 sensor TST system, so we sold one.
TST 507 tire monitor starter kit

Dont try buying from there now though, there is nothing in stock.

Jim
Old 12-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
A few years back - when I was working - we recognized the need for a 2 sensor TST system, so we sold one.
TST 507 tire monitor starter kit

Dont try buying from there now though, there is nothing in stock.

Jim
Yes thats the problem.. apparently not enough demand for anyone to market to single axles trailer owners. The folks I bought my first TST kit from also stopped selling it.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
FYI Inhearent problem

The seals on any system that screws into the valve stem are backwards. That is the air pressure tends to reduce the seal, and defeat the action of the Schrader valve in the valve stem.

The Schrader valve is designed so the higher the pressure the tighter the seal. Valve stem rim seals are the opposite.

That's one reason I will never use a system that requires the use of a valve stem rim seal.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #11

Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The seals on any system that screws into the valve stem are backwards. That is the air pressure tends to reduce the seal, and defeat the action of the Schrader valve in the valve stem.

The Schrader valve is designed so the higher the pressure the tighter the seal. Valve stem rim seals are the opposite.

That's one reason I will never use a system that requires the use of a valve stem rim seal.
Bless you.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:28 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

This reflects the beauty of living in a free society. Every person can make their own decision whether or not to use a product. Since I have seen Schrader valves themselves fail, regardless of their design, I do not share this concern. I have been using a Tire Minder system for 6 years without any problem other than one of the sensors failed due to water intrusion into its outer cap which covers the battery. I didn’t tighten it adequately. I therefore do not see a problem in purchasing a 4 sensor system for a 2 wheeled trailer. It never hurts to have “spare parts” and they are relatively simple to change out. On the other hand, internal sensors require tire removal, remounting, and balancing if they fail. Few people bother with this. I personally like the peace of mind that comes with having a TPMS on my trailer tires.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:31 AM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Foster View Post
That s awesome...thank u for forwarding the link.
Many thanks
Russ, google your TPMS question, there are a great many rankings and reviews on the internet. Too many, most will have different rankings. I find one that looks promising, go to Amazon and see what the 1 star review ratings say, then keep looking. Each brand has its detractors, for whatever reason, and each has its supporters.

TST capped looks like the best of the lot... unless, of course, on some forum a post mentions a different brand and off I go doing more research...have yet to buy a TPMS...have been looking off and on for months...I am descending into the ugly morass of indecision once again...
Old 12-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #14

North Carolina
Its possible that using a stem mounted sensor adds a slight risk of an air leak. But that chance is slim, and compared to the increased safety of using the TPMS it is almost trivial. TST Valve mounted stems on used successfully on thousands upon thousands of wheels.

One thing I do recommend is to use metal valve stems. That is covered in the thread I linked to above so I'm sure you read that already. Although TST says that some of their sensors are OK with rubber valve stems I am not sure its a good idea. Flexing of the valve stem can cause it to crack and leak.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Russ, google your TPMS question, there are a great many rankings and reviews on the internet. Too many, most will have different rankings. I find one that looks promising, go to Amazon and see what the 1 star review ratings say, then keep looking. Each brand has its detractors, for whatever reason, and each has its supporters.

TST capped looks like the best of the lot... unless, of course, on some forum a post mentions a different brand and off I go doing more research...have yet to buy a TPMS...have been looking off and on for months...I am descending into the ugly morass of indecision once again...
Lol!!
Old 12-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #16

Name: Ben
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I have been using the TireMinder TPMS Solar for about 2 years (it is specifically for 2 axels). I have mixed feelings about it but overall, it's ok. My main gripe is that it takes a long time for a reading to update. When we first start off in the morning, it displays the last reading for quite a while so you are not sure of each tire's pressure (I believe it should show dashes until it gets a good reading). I was concerned that it would take as long to report a flat but that is not the case. For a test, I unscrewed a sensor and within a few seconds, I got a notification of low pressure.
Also, I haven't found a good place to mount it. I usually just sit it on the dash and grab it to view the pressures when needed. As a side, it comes with a booster which I have found to be necessary for our setup. I wired it directly to our batteries mounted to the front of the trailer and put a connector on it to disconnect when we are no traveling.
I take the sensors off when the trailer is storage but left them on for our 6 week trip last summer without a problem.
I wanted wanted some pressure sensor for our dual axel trailer and this meets my needs. It's not perfect, but it work.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:37 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm wondering how necessary TPMS is. Manufacturers are so confident in the tires that that they put on their vehicles that they provide a semblance of a spare tire, or none at all.

I can't remember a flat tire on my vehicle or trailer in ten years or more.

I do a walk around each time I stop, checking hitch, lights and tires visually. If a tire blows, I'll certainly notice. I check tire pressure prior to a trip. I have to read my RAV4 manual and maybe talk to my service manager to see if the TPMS on my RAV4 is still working.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:41 AM   #18

Tennessee
Glenn, you may not need or want a TPMS. You have seem to have a single axle trailer, so when you have a flat you probably will know.

I have a tandem axle Big Foot. I did not know when I ran over a road hazard (a very large screw) and blew a tire last season, and drove on it until it shredded and was noticed when I stopped for gas. So for me a TPMS makes sense.

I had a blow out on my Casita the year prior to the above. I heard the pop but did not feel much at the steeling wheel. I thought someone was shooting a gun. First flat I had had in maybe 40 years or longer. The tire was totally gone and I ran on the rim for a bit, maybe 20 yards or so before I pulled over and stopped along side of the road. They said it was useable but I bought new rims anyway, just to be safe.

So for me it makes a great deal of sense to have a TPMS. I prefer to take preventative measures whenever possible.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:40 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Glenn, you may not need or want a TPMS. You have seem to have a single axle trailer, so when you have a flat you probably will know.

I have a tandem axle Big Foot. I did not know when I ran over a road hazard (a very large screw) and blew a tire last season, and drove on it until it shredded and was noticed when I stopped for gas. So for me a TPMS makes sense.

I had a blow out on my Casita the year prior to the above. I heard the pop but did not feel much at the steeling wheel. I thought someone was shooting a gun. First flat I had had in maybe 40 years or longer. The tire was totally gone and I ran on the rim for a bit, maybe 20 yards or so before I pulled over and stopped along side of the road. They said it was useable but I bought new rims anyway, just to be safe.

So for me it makes a great deal of sense to have a TPMS. I prefer to take preventative measures whenever possible.
As I previously stated, this reflects the beauty of living in a free society. Every person can make their own decision whether or not to use a product. In the case of TPMS, you can currently choose to not utilize it on your trailer, single or double axle. You do not get that choice on a new vehicle; DOT requires TPMS to be installed on new vehicles. Because of that requirement, if it fails and you choose not to have it repaired then are at fault in an accident that can be attributed to a tire fault.......well, we all know about lawyers. Even a slowly leaking tire can result in serious property damage/loss or a fatal accident.

I have always thought that airline pilots are so well compensated because their experience may become critical for a 30 second period in their entire flying career, as an example, Captain Sullenberger (Sully) and the “Miracle on the Hudson.” I consider TPMS somewhat the same. While you may not want to expend the funds necessary to purchase it, when you encounter that 30 seconds in your towing career and should you survive unscathed, both property and person, you will be glad you had early warning technology that allowed you to respond at the first indication of a problem.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #20

North Carolina
A few posts have related trailers and trailer tires to vehicle and vehicle tires. There is a world of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm wondering how necessary TPMS is. Manufacturers are so confident in the tires that that they put on their vehicles that they provide a semblance of a spare tire, or none at all.

I can't remember a flat tire on my vehicle or trailer in ten years or more.
Glad to hear your trailer tires have been good for ten years.. what is that, two sets of tires? Small sample size.

Trailer tire failures are quite common, even when the tires are within a reasonable age. In about a five year period with two camping trailers I have had two tires fail. They were the cheap tires that came with the new trailers and when replaced I choose better quality. I see plenty of incidental reports of bad tires on campers, and I still use the TPMS.

Tags
bigfoot