Tire Sizes and Type for Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
Tire Sizes and Type for Scamp?

I was just wondering how to know what size wheel/tire is right for the 13-foot Scamp. I think I've seen 13-inch wheels are common but could you put a 14-15 inch on there as long as the bolt pattern is the same? Or will it rub?

Also, I've seen things like load type B, C , D. What are those for? Thanks!
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The B,C,D are ratings that relate to how strong the tire is. Typically the further down the alphabet you go the more pressure you can inflate the tire to. Creating a stiffer tire. Not exactly equal to load capacity but related. More a description of how well the tire can handle the given load capacity.

Understanding Tire Load Range - Town Fair Tire

If you scamp has a 4 bolt rim I think 13 inch is the only one offered, at least commonly at tire stores. 14 and 15 inch rims will use up more wheel well space and make the condition of your torsion axle rather critical. If the torsion suspension is getting a little old the trailer wheel well will sit low on the tire.

Typically changing tire rim to 14 or 15 inch involves replacing the axle with one having more down angle to make it fit in the wheel well if the original was a 13 inch rim.

Scamps sit low as stock but that does help with wind drag when towing.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
The B,C,D are ratings that relate to how strong the tire is. Typically the further down the alphabet you go the more pressure you can inflate the tire to. Creating a stiffer tire. Not exactly equal to load capacity but related. More a description of how well the tire can handle the given load capacity.

Understanding Tire Load Range - Town Fair Tire

If you scamp has a 4 bolt rim I think 13 inch is the only one offered, at least commonly at tire stores. 14 and 15 inch rims will use up more wheel well space and make the condition of your torsion axle rather critical. If the torsion suspension is getting a little old the trailer wheel well will sit low on the tire.

Typically changing tire rim to 14 or 15 inch involves replacing the axle with one having more down angle to make it fit in the wheel well if the original was a 13 inch rim.

Scamps sit low as stock but that does help with wind drag when towing.

Thanks for the info!
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp