Tires you dig - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #1

Name: Theron
Trailer: Looking!
Idaho
Tires you dig

After tons of research and a huge first post in this forum, I'm picking up a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe in January. In the end, my budget allowed for the Casita over the Escape. I'm pulling this trailer on tour across 48 states for 8 months and I figure 40,000+ miles. Last year I drove 75,000 miles!

Here is the first discussion, if you're interested: My pick: Escape trailer - Fiberglass RV

But! I'm here about tires!

I have a 1999 Tacoma 4x4, Ext Cab, TRD, 5 speed with the 3.4L. The truck has a Class III hitch, but not the factory towing package. It also has a 2" Old Man Emu lift. The lift sounds more extreme than it is, really it's just a great heavy duty off road suspension.

Right now I'm running 33x10.5 R15 - BFG A/T KO tires. I get about 16mpg with these tires @ 65mph on cruise with these tires. My particular Tacoma came stock with 31x10.5 tires, because of the TRD package. I know I'll need some smaller more friendly tires for towing.

For that generation, there are other stock tire sizes:

225/75-15

265/75-15

31X10.5-15

What will be my best tire option? Although it might look a little silly, would the 225/75's be a good option, so I could gain extra torque? What brand model of tires do you love?
tjhva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would look at what the actual axle gearing is and pick the appropriate tire for the gearing that the factory used for that gearing. This will work to put the truck in its proper torque band thus saving gas and allowing you to properly run over drive. You could also regear the truck to your current tire size and achieve the best of both worlds if that wasnt done when swapping to the 33" tires. For a street type tire I like the Michilin LTX tire it will take you anywhere you want to go and last a long time. Getting the tire size right to its proper gearing will get you all the torque the truck has avaliable and make your trip so much better.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhva View Post
Right now I'm running 33x10.5 R15 - BFG A/T KO tires. I get about 16mpg with these tires @ 65mph on cruise with these tires. My particular Tacoma came stock with 31x10.5 tires, because of the TRD package...

For that generation, there are other stock tire sizes:

225/75-15
265/75-15
31X10.5-15
Are those fuel economy and cruise speed numbers adjusted for the odometer/speedometer error due to the oversize current tires?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Congratulations on the Casita. I will be interested in your impressions when you get it. On tires, I have always had good luck with Michelin tires, only in my case it's always been their snow and ice tires. For your situation I will be curious what others recommend. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I would suggest to you that as you have figured, using a tire of stock diameter will help you keep the engine higher in the rev range, and likely in the better part of the torque curve.
I would shop carefully and find a LT tire that you can run at higher inflation pressures than a comparable "P" tire.

The Taco is a good choice.....no make that a GREAT choice of tow vehicle for your application.
Expect a certain forum member to come along here shortly and tell you "you-don't-gotta-have-a-pickup" to tow that little 'ol camper.
It's ok.....you can always ignore bad advice.....you done good choosing your TV....
( pickups RULE )

Have a happy new year everyone !
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I thought you were asking about tires for the trailer but I see not...I've no opinion about tires for the pickup, but I'd like to say this about your opener:

I love it- referring us to the "My pick is the Escape" thread to find out you bought a Casita!

A perfect illustration of the flexibility necessary when looking for the ideal trailer....

I think you chose wisely, given the similarity in size/weight of the Casita and the Escape...and you're getting the molded fiberglass interior to boot!

You'll certainly need all the tongue weight-carrying capacity your existing TV has for the tongue, though...so as stated, don't let anyone try to persuade you otherwise. I'm a great believer in getting a trailer that matches up with one's existing tug!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires