TM -14 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Triple E Surfside TM14
I just recently purchased a 1976 Triple E Surfside TM-14, it is going to need some work done on it, I was just wondering if anyone has any information about this unit, owners manuals, pitfalls, things to watch for, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
T. Hartwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Quote:
I just recently purchased a 1976 Triple E Surfside TM-14, it is going to need some work done on it, I was just wondering if anyone has any information about this unit, owners manuals, pitfalls, things to watch for, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Most of the fgrvs use about all the same Parts sink, pumps, fridg, and so on except the body and fg is purty much the same to repair , to up grade or replace post a whaterver you are going to do . there is a lot of knolage here . and very helpfull. and congregations on your new find i am sure you will enjoy very much
Old 05-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
I see you're in Alberta. Richard and I are in Lethbridge and we have a 1974 Surfside TM 14. Ours has a kitchen in the front of the unit (where most units have seating or gaucho beds). We've done quite a bit to restore ours: exterior painting, new side windows, revamp cabinetry, restore painted-over Ensolite, seam tape replacement (current project), put in full-size mattress, curtains, etc. Anything in particular you'd like to know about, just ask!

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
a '76 - wow wonderful I spent months on this forum with no other Surfside but Buttercup. Now there's a bunch. Fantastic.

I have had no problem with my little darling what so ever. Course when I got her all the windows leaked, but I just took them out , cleaned them and back in with new backer boards they went. Now lets see? what else. Oh yeah I remember. I took her for new shoes( wheels and tires). the old looked good, but I didn't trust them. age and all that not being good on tires. while that was done they greased the wheel bearings/barrings (?) - one was bad. so check that, everyones suppose to grease those things, but you need to remind them every once in a while.

Guess that's it. all that other stuff inside is the same as everyone elses. just like Herschel said.

And , Miriam, you got a front kitchen. (envy written all over my face.)
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #5

Thank's everyone, I have hauled her around town getting little things fixed for the May Long weekend. I love how easy it pulls, my truck dosen't even know it's there. This weekend, doing the big clean, working on redoing the cushions, putting in lino, and painting the cubbords inside, changing the hardware, and going through all the wireing, and re-packing the bearings, next week getting the furnance and fridge and stove checked and new tires.

I have sneaky feeling the back windows may leak so I am going to do the silcone, until later this summer when I plan to re-do the windows, Jana could you provide me with a little more information on your window replacement, i.e. how you removed them any tricks. Jana do you have an owners manual by chance?

Miriam & Richard, later this summer I am going to redo one panel of the insulation but almost all the seam tape replacement what is the best product and any tricks to it. Additionally, I notice you're from Lethbridge...actually I bought it down there last Wednesday...I am in Calgary.

Final question, I was wanting to resurface the sink/cooking area and table, I was thinking of just putting a veneer (sp?) on top of the current surface, I was thinking of using tin flashing (a brushed metal look) and do a metal edging, does anyone know of a good adhesive (sp?) or glue to use.

Thanks again everyone, still have not named the new girl but the inside is going with a wine motifee (sp?)...might need to consume some first to find the appropiate name.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
"I have sneaky feeling the back windows may leak so I am going to do the silcone"

Please do some checking in back topics, before using silicone on your trailer !!!!
Happy Trails.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Quote:
I have sneaky feeling the back windows may leak so I am going to do the silcone, until later this summer when I plan to re-do the windows, Jana could you provide me with a little more information on your window replacement, i.e. how you removed them any tricks. Jana do you have an owners manual by chance?
Mine were difficult to get out, rusty screws. Not only did I have the crumbly factory sealer, I had globs and globs of a silicone type sealer to dig off. My main problem after removal and clean up was getting someone to hold the inside wood part while I reinstalled the windows as straight to the trailer as I could. I can't say the window holes were cut too straight. Had to get things lined up just right or I'd miss the trailer on one side or the other. I had some fiberglass work done on her before reinstall and the fiberglass guy filled the old screw holes. nice for reinforcement, but a bummer to line up the windows. BUT I got'er done.
Penny's right on the silicone comment. Use the one made for RVs. Seals on fiberglass better. If you can clean out/off the old stuff, you might not need to take the window out to stop the leak. I removed mine because the wood was rotten.

I have no manual of any kind for my trailer
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:53 AM   #8

Trailer: Triple E Surfside 14 ft 1979
I wanted to welcome you to our site. I have a 1979 Surfside. I would'nt take anything for. It suits me to a tee. I have found it to be easy, in most cases, to work on. But it takes so little to maintain. Your right my truck don't even know it's back there even at around 70 miles an hour. Although I like 60 to 65 much better.
Good luck with it let me know if you need any help or have any questions.
Butch Humphreys
Butch H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #9

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Quote:
Final question, I was wanting to resurface the sink/cooking area and table, I was thinking of just putting a veneer (sp?) on top of the current surface, I was thinking of using tin flashing (a brushed metal look) and do a metal edging, does anyone know of a good adhesive (sp?) or glue to use.

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new purchase!
Might I suggest that you stroll over to the Solving Problems or Mods forums and repost your topic there? It makes it easier for people to answer specific questions and to be found when using the search function.

I am interested in what answers you'll get as I, too, am interested in modifying my tabletop with new laminate goods or stainless as you said.
---------------------------

Thanks again everyone, still have not named the new girl but the inside is going with a wine motifee (sp?)...might need to consume some first to find the appropiate name.
Oh, I think you can have fun with this!

Cheers!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Simulated Stainless Steel
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cool stuff Benita

Now who was looking to do a backsplash ...check out the other types available from this seller:
See my other self adhesive items up for auction to include: Lace, Classic Tiffany, Floral Tiffany, Provincial Tile, Glass Block, Rain Drops, Tiffany Geometric window film wallpaper.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your input and help, I have managed to get the inside all done last weekend...busy weekend, this week the electrical, gas appliance and tires and bearings...well this project has kept this old farm boy busy. I did opt for the more expensive RV silicone...thanks again...I am sure I will have more questions later.

Happy Trails

Tyson
Old 05-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Send a message via MSN to KenReiss
If any of you Surfsiders have any manuals for your trailer I will host them on my website as they seem increasingly difficult to locate. Anyone have a manual?
KenReiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Thanks again everyone, still have not named the new girl but the inside is going with a wine motif...might need to consume some first to find the appropiate name.

how about Spritzer!
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #15

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Miriam & Richard, later this summer I am going to redo one panel of the insulation but almost all the seam tape replacement what is the best product and any tricks to it. Additionally, I notice you're from Lethbridge...actually I bought it down there last Wednesday...I am in Calgary.
Seam tape replacement: I bought some bathtub edging - the kind that folds in half to go around corners and has a backing of butyl tape. It worked great for the back sems below the window, but sagged on the front overhead replacements. I will be fortifying the butyl with contact cement in a week or so and will tell you how it looks. A lot of people use the T-tape with silicone or contact cement. I found the T too deep and didn't want to go through the hassle of cutting it up so I opted for the tub surround gooey stuff. It's quite a bit softer, available in an almond color in most hardware stores that have old stock, comes in two widths, is pretty cheap, and goes around corners well. Now if I can just keep it from falling down....

Leaky windows: We had the back side ones replaced. We kept the frames and had "the guy" take out the glass panels. We replaced them with smoked glass - one sheet per window. We figured we didn't need the ventilation because we have a big window in front and back (cross-draft). The old windows let in a heck of a lot of dust while we were on the road. This is better.

Jana,
Thanks! *blush* I LOVE the front kitchen!
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:21 AM   #16

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Hi Ken, I received quite a few of the original manuals with my Surfside. Perhaps they could be posted here. What type of format is useful?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:29 AM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Send a message via MSN to KenReiss
Quote:
Hi Ken, I received quite a few of the original manuals with my Surfside. Perhaps they could be posted here. What type of format is useful?
High resolution jpeg scans are perfect. Can you email them to me at ken.reiss@gmail.com
I'll do the conversion on my end and post them for everyone.

Thanks!
KenReiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Of course, we also are trying to keep a collection of manuals in the FiberglassRV.com Document Center. I think Donna D. prefers PDF files for that, though.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
I'd love to have one to go with my Surfside!

Hooray!

(I know, I have my Scamp listed; however, my first FG
is a Surfside and it's being readied to sell.)
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote