to do with wiring in a Muff Fan inside a refrigerator. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
to do with wiring in a Muff Fan inside a refrigerator.

This is on a need to know basis as I will take it to our electrician. You have this fan to install as our coils freeze up and interior objects seem to hold water on the outside of the packaging how do I stop this? Will a Muff Fan do the trick or a old Computer fan and if it will how do I install wiring in a closed Box with no electrical on the inside. We do not go away for 3 day nor do we plug in any where for a long time, we might plug in once every two weeks to dump, get a shower, more water etc. and so on. I hate to use 2-3 AA batteries as that will cost us a fortune after 3-4 months on the road. So how do I fish power into the closed unit to keep the fans running and how often do I run this fan each and every 24 hour period to stop the coils from freezing up causing every thing to get wet.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
thats a pretty confusing set of statements and questions.

what trailer is this? what model refrigerator? I assume you are putting this fan on the outside condensor coils ?

the bit about inside objects holding water, you're talking about condensation on the things inside your fridge? never heard of anyone adding a fan inside their fridge.

I empty our fridge after each trip (or maybe monthly if I'm traveling in humid areas), put everything in a icebox temporarily, shut the fridge off, and leave it open on a warm day, maybe use a hair dryer to defrost the interior heat exchanger plates, with towels to absorb the melt and condensation, get the interior of things completely dry, then fire the fridge back up and restock it. if the stuff got wet in the icebox, I dry off each can, bottle, jar, etc before putting back in the fridge.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:14 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
thats a pretty confusing set of statements and questions.

what trailer is this? what model refrigerator? I assume you are putting this fan on the outside condensor coils ?

the bit about inside objects holding water, you're talking about condensation on the things inside your fridge? never heard of anyone adding a fan inside their fridge.

I empty our fridge after each trip (or maybe monthly if I'm traveling in humid areas), put everything in a icebox temporarily, shut the fridge off, and leave it open on a warm day, maybe use a hair dryer to defrost the interior heat exchanger plates, with towels to absorb the melt and condensation, get the interior of things completely dry, then fire the fridge back up and restock it. if the stuff got wet in the icebox, I dry off each can, bottle, jar, etc before putting back in the fridge.
:I read here that someone did on the inside getting power through the drip tube? I can understand doing it in the back because then I can get to the power but what I need to know is how often should this fan run, we run our Fridge/freezer 24/7 One reason is to keep my drugs cool when not in use. This rule was what my Pharmacist said to do. John so how do I keep the coils on the inside from freezing up and the condensation from stopping.
By the way thanks for answering.
Stude
Old 07-23-2019, 03:22 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The purpose of a fan inside a fridge is to circulate the air to equalize temperature. This one claims to run for 30 days on a couple of D cells.

fridge fan

I have never used one so I can't speak to how well they work.

Condensation occurs when warm meets cold. You might try cooling things before you put them in the fridge if possible.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:10 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Peter, your door gasket may be worn a bit and letting in the outside air causing your problem. Your door may be out of adjustment also.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:11 AM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The purpose of a fan inside a fridge is to circulate the air to equalize temperature. This one claims to run for 30 days on a couple of D cells.

fan fridge

Condensation occurs when warm meets cold. You might try cooling things before you put them in the fridge if possible.
:John and Raz I no longer have a trailer, we travel to much for one of those so we now have Winnebago Trend, gets pretty good mpg, twin beds, but will sleep 2 adults and 2 children or 3 adults. My wife likes a soft bed and I Like a hard bed actually hardest Foam I can buy. Thanks for the answers I'm going to look into that interior Fan and when we get back in November a Muffin Fan.
stude
Old 07-23-2019, 04:14 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Safe travels.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:23 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Peter, your door gasket may be worn a bit and letting in the outside air causing your problem. Your door may be out of adjustment also.
ave we check it out and it was passed as this unit only had 8,000 KM's it when we bought it.
Peter
Old 07-23-2019, 04:28 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Safe travels.
: ya after hearing of all those people dying on Hwy97 in the North first a australian fellow and his girl friend shot dead then dumped into a ditch, tow youngsters from Vancouver Island, then 2 or more in a Truck with a Camper on the back and I guess they must of had the sniffer dogs out as they found another person in a ditch dead about 3-400 feet away. This all Happened in the last 3-4 weeks. sure glad we did that trip last year.
Peter
Old 07-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #10

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
From what I've heard, using a fan that will run through 16 gauge or smaller wire is fine to just run through the fridge door. Not through the door, but just close the door on the wire. The gasket should still seal around it. This is how a lot of people run a temperate probe.

I have one of these, and 2 D batteries tend to last me somewhere between 2-3 months. That's good enough for me, though I wish I could get rechargeables.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We have always used a two D type fridge fan to keep the air circulating. It has really helped in keeping the temps even throughout, whether full or emptier.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

fridge fan

I use one and they work reasonably well for making temperature fairly even through out the box. (i.e. No temperature gradients that are of concern)
Old 07-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #13

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
I did some research before buying the Camco Airator. Overall it had much better feedback than the Valturra. YMMV and Happy Trails!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #14

Name: Myrt
Trailer: Coachmen Freedom Express
Texas
Refri fan

I am trying a 4 inch fan powered by USP cord. Using inside the refri. Bought on Amazon.
br23mat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:42 AM   #15

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
Helpful tips.

If you really wanted to you could drill 3/16" hole in the side wall of the fridge and run a power wires through it, seal it with silicone sealer, to run a computer fan to circulate the air in there to distribute the cold air more evenly in the box area. All of the refrigerators in RV only have the plumbing, on the back side only, either absorption or compressor operated. If you don't believe me ask any appliance repair man or RV tech and they will tell you the same. You don't want the air to move too fast or the amp draw to be to high, .13 amps is enough to run most computer fans, and the are designed to run continuously for years in a computer power supply.

I would put a .5 amp fuse on it and a switch to be able to turn it off when not needed. Be sure to put the grill on the fan to keep fingers and the such out of it. You can leave the wires long enough to move the fan to point in any direction inside the fridge. Many of us also have computer fans on the rear condenser coils to help the cooling capacity in hot weather.

We also have a computer fan that hangs on the front of our gravity furnace to help move the hot air around in our Trillium on cold nights. Our battery is charge by a 305 watt solar panel and charge controller. We never run out of 12 volt power boon docking but we know how to conserve battery power.

Another thing is when you open the fridge all the cold air falls out of the bottom with the door opened, the longer it is opened the warmer it gets inside and that cause the condensation. We open the door and take a mental picture of where everything is in there and close the door and then ask if anyone needs/wants anything in there so it is only opened for a short time. Many others will tell you that that is how the do it also. RV fridges are not as efficient as residential fridges.

Hope some of this is helpful. I would post some photos but I am 2500 miles for the trillium right now. Traveling in our Fiberglass class A motorhome. We miss the Trillium many times as we could take it anywhere and park it and the tow vehicle. We didn't get rid of the Trillium as we are back country boon dockers and will still use it.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I run a pair of computer cooling fans similar to this one. It is wired to the refrigerator 12V supply for the + side & the fins on the refrigerator supply the ground. Has a switch that I only shut off when the refrigerator is shut down. It only draws a few milliamps so with a pair ofd 6 volt battery & solar, I never shut it off while camping.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I did just what Oneil did. Put a computer fan inside the fridge. Ran the wires between the fridge and the closet wall with a switch in the closet.

It made a huge difference in the temp of the food. Much more even and everything stays cold.

We have the 5er Deluxe.
J. Sully is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator